Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyerby
E+ members receive two upgrade vouchers per membership year that can be used as system-wide upgrades. Vouchers are not delivered to E+ status holders in physical or electronic form and only exist on the screens of TK agents.

It is advisable to call TK to verify the number of vouchers you have prior to and after the upgrade (unless you have no vouchers left).

Upgrades are done by calling TK CS or a local TK office (by phone or email).

One voucher is needed to upgrade per direction. For example, the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK will need one voucher to upgrade, and the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK-IST-LHR will need two vouchers. If an agent tells you otherwise, HUCA.

How to find itineraries with availability for a voucher upgrade?
Find an itinerary in any class in Y that has 4 seats left in J booking class on the same itinerary as the Y. To be extra cautious, you may also check the individual legs (when applicable) for 4 seats left in J booking class. For example, for the itinerary LHR-IST-BKK, check at least that LHR-IST-BKK has 4 seats left in J booking class, and in addition, check LHR-IST and IST-BKK individually too.

You can no longer check for upgrade availability without having an e-ticket number.

A relatively low-risk method of proceeding is therefore...

1) Reserve a ticket online with TK but don't pay for the ticket yet. Just put it on hold for 48 hours for free for E+ members.
2) Book an economy class ticket on the same itinerary with a reputable USA-based OTA that offers a 24-hour cooling-off / full refund period.
3) Once you have received your e-ticket number, go to Manage Booking on the TK website and check if TK has offered a business upgrade with miles for your intineray. Any segment eligible for an upgrade with miles on the website is also eligible for an upgrade with E+ vouchers.
4) Another option would be to call TK CS and ask an agent to check if the ticket in (2) is upgradeable with your vouchers. Do not upgrade this ticket; just check.
5) Once availability is confirmed for your itinerary, pay for the ticket in (1). Upon payment and ticketing, call TK CS to ask an agent to upgrade this ticket.
6) Cancel for free the ticket in (2).

Another even lower-risk method would be to skip (1) and just upgrade the ticket in (2). If unsuccessful with the E+ upgrade, you can proceed to cancel your economy ticket within the 24-hour cooling-off period. Going with this route, you would then have to be in contact with the OTA and not TK in cases of schedule change, cancellation, or IRROP, which is not usually advisable unless you really have to.

You might be asked to enter a PIN number via an automatic system to access your vouchers; this is the PIN you use to log on to your TK M&S account.

Print Wikipost

Elite Plus upgrade voucher

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by SFOTraveler1984
Hm, now that it seems that upgrades are somewhat unrelated to J and I availability, maybe it is worth exploring the "R class theory" again? @thefilipinotraveler, could you check R class availability for your flights, even though it is now after the upgrade?
I’m guessing it’s more about the fact that TK may see different J inventory than what is shown to outside IT.
Can’t remember ever seeing R.
PVDtoDEL and SFOTraveler1984 like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I know this is a long thread but prior posts have indicated I and R inventories have no correlation to your odds of getting upgrades. It's all about J, except make sure there's enough J so it will have seats available for upgrades, not just sales.

IMO the best values and also best odds of upgrading is the North America - Istanbul routes where revenue tickets are very expensive and there's plenty of J inventory (more than 4) when booking ahead.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Hm, now that it seems that upgrades are somewhat unrelated to J and I availability, maybe it is worth exploring the "R class theory" again? @thefilipinotraveler, could you check R class availability for your flights, even though it is now after the upgrade?

ARN-IST-MNL for May 9, 2019

MNL-IST-ARN for May 28, 2019

MNL-IST for May 28, 2019

The availability has always been the same before and after using our vouchers.

Just want to add: The agent I spoke with last Friday evening who said that only inbound MNL-IST-ARN has availability (contrary to what the agent in the afternn said that IST-MNL has avail.) said that with J availability, sometimes they can upgrade using voucher, sometimes not. I asked how many J seats he could see on the inbound but he said it doesnt really matter and repeated his line: with J available, sometimes they can upgrade using voucher, sometimes not.
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.

Last edited by thefilipinotraveler; May 3, 2019 at 5:57 am
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I have 2 E+ voucher that expires on 30 May. Can I use one of the vouchers for a booking beyond 30 May (1 will be used before expiration for outbound)? Are the vouchers expiration dates "use by" or "fly by"? Cheers
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emer), TK ELPL (*G), Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by nov11
I have 2 E+ voucher that expires on 30 May. Can I use one of the vouchers for a booking beyond 30 May (1 will be used before expiration for outbound)? Are the vouchers expiration dates "use by" or "fly by"? Cheers
It is a "use by" date. You can use your vouchers for bookings made before/on May 30, even if your flight is later.
Would be great if you could report back your experience using the voucher!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:30 am

It is a "use by" date. You can use your vouchers for bookings made before/on May 30, even if your flight is later.
Would be great if you could report back your experience using the voucher!
Thank you!
SFOTraveler1984 likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Anybody know a US OTA that offers free, simple (online) 24-hour refund procedures AND accepts Paypal?
Old May 10, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue/Platinum, TK/Elite Plus, QR/Platinum, LH/FTL, Marriott/Platinum
Beware, if you need to change your flights after the E+ vouchers are processed, it's extremely difficult. I'm going through this pain right now - why everything has to be so difficult with TK...

If you need to change the date of travel, they will need to first refund your E+ vouchers. However in order for this to happen, they will need to cancel your whole reservation - not a simple downgrade, meaning all your flights will be wiped out from the reservation. Now this is particular tricky if the ticket was purchased through a 3rd party (such as Expedia) as all the 3rd party agent sees is an empty reservation, they will then need to contact TK on your behalf to rebook the flights.

Also the refund of E+ vouchers are not instant, i was informed that this might take a few minutes, or as long as 72 hours.

How fun it is to deal with this airline...
Old May 10, 2019, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not done, nor would I try and do it with OTA's, but I can tell you that if its only about changing the return (as opposed to the outgoing flight AND the return), then it is in fact no big deal.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:45 am

Does anyone know if I get another 2 voucher when I re-qualify for an additional year of E+ (by accumulating the additional 40K miles after the first 80K)?
Old May 14, 2019, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by elan22
Does anyone know if I get another 2 voucher when I re-qualify for an additional year of E+ (by accumulating the additional 40K miles after the first 80K)?
You get two vouchers at the beginning of each E+ membership year.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:02 am

You get two vouchers at the beginning of each E+ membership year.
Actual calendar year (i.e. Jan 1st 2020) or every time I re-qualify for another year of E+?
Old May 14, 2019, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by elan22
Actual calendar year (i.e. Jan 1st 2020) or every time I re-qualify for another year of E+?
Your 2-year term of E+ starts on the day you are granted E+ status, independent of the calendar year.
For example, if you become an E+ member today (May 14), you will be an E+ member for 2 years from today. Each of those two years you will get two vouchers on May 14 (plus a few days delay).
Old May 18, 2019, 7:32 pm

Managed to use my upgrade voucher for my flights. Availability for:

Outbound: J4 I4 R2
Inbound: J4 I0 R0

Both was upgraded ^
Old May 18, 2019, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by nov11
Managed to use my upgrade voucher for my flights. Availability for:

Outbound: J4 I4 R2
Inbound: J4 I0 R0

Both was upgraded ^
Congrats and thanks for reporting back. Just out of curiosity: did you upgrade via the hotline or did you go to a sales office?
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.