Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
I updated my passport on GOES, and was able to use GE at DEN without issue.

Technically you're supposed to visit a NEXUS office before you use NEXUS again. I did so and was told to use GE for that US trip (YYZ-DCA) but that within two or three hours, my NEXUS would be up and running. That was June and I haven't had a chance to use NEXUS yet (flew back DEN-YQR) but I'll be able to try it on the 31st on an IAD-YYZ flight.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA, DL Gold, ANA Plat
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mnbp
Great to hear on this one. Didn't see this part when I scanned it earlier. Just received my card a couple of weeks ago and really looking forward to this fall. Wife's should be in the mail soon.^
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:26 am

is the interview and fingerprint still required?

i'm an US citizen who mostly lives overseas but I make about a dozen trips to the states each year. can i apply and have the interview conducted in switzerland and info sent to my swiss address?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by nocloud

i'm an US citizen who mostly lives overseas but I make about a dozen trips to the states each year. can i apply and have the interview conducted in switzerland and info sent to my swiss address?
Yes and Yes. You'll need to visit a GE enrollment center in the US.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Interview and fingerprint still required. Interview locations are all in the US.
http://www.globalentry.gov/enrollmentcenters.html
Just schedule your interview during your next trip to the US.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:36 am

Do they take your fingerprint during the interview or do they already have it on file?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Do they take your fingerprint during the interview or do they already have it on file?
During the interview.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:25 am

This may have already been asked in the 2700-plus posts, but my GE card omits my middle name shown on passport (even though my application included full name). Also, during the interview, the agent was unable to secure a set of fingerprints after numerous attempts and told me to simply hold up hand at kiosk and advise agent that I am "fingerprint exempt." (It took CLEAR about 1/2 hour to get set of usable prints years ago.) I will be using (or trying to use) GE kiosk at CLT in about 5 days. Am I out of luck and should plan on going to back of regular line upon deplaning , or will what I have get me through? Thanks.

Last edited by RMC500; Oct 20, 2012 at 7:42 am
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:06 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by RMC500
This may have already been asked in the 2700-plus posts, but my GE card omits my middle name shown on passport (even though my application included full name). Also, during the interview, the agent was unable to secure a set of fingerprints after numerous attempts and told me to simply hold up hand at kiosk and advise agent that I am "fingerprint exempt." (It took CLEAR about 1/2 hour to get set of usable prints years ago.) I will be using (or trying to use) GE kiosk at CLT in about 5 days. Am I out of luck and should plan on going to back of regular line upon deplaning , or will what I have get me through? Thanks.
You might get the X on your receipt but you should still get front of the line privies
Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:09 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
They take fingerprints of both hands at the interview, but at the GE kiosks you only use your right hand.
Why would they have your fingerprints "on file"?
[Also if you renew your pp, you are supposed to visit a GE office (no appt. req.) to get a new CBP sticker and to verify your new pp number.]
So far, there is no mandatory DNA/fingerprint data base for US citizens--but I'm sure if DHS had their way, this would be in the works.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:00 am
Suspended

Global Entry Worth Obtaining?

I am considering enrolling my girlfriend and myself in the Global Entry program, but wanted to get your thoughts on it first. We live in Dallas so we would have to schlepp over to DFW for an interview, which isn't that convenient considering we both work and they are only open 8-3 Monday thru Friday.

We travel abroad about 2-4 times a year. I notice that other posts are talking about how long immigration lines are becoming due to inadequate staffing.

Do you think getting into the program is worthwhile? Has it worked when you arrive back in the USA and saved you time?

Thanks for your opinions on the matter.

Chris
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1k
Its 20$/yr for 5 years.

I've found it useful for Immigration, but I don't think any of the regular lines would have been longer than 15-20 minutes in the 3-4 times i've arrived from international since getting it.

It is a GODSEND when you use it to enable yourself for TSA pre-check, when approved, through security in <3 minutes. This feature alone makes it worth the 100$.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:06 am
Suspended

Oblisk,

Can you expand on the TSA Pre-check. I am not familiar with that. Also, how do you get it?

Programs: UA MM
I've had it for a few years and consider it extremely valuable.
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Earlier this week came through DFW. Was one of the first off the plane; when I got to Passport control there were at least 150 people already in line from other flights. Took me about 1.5 minutes to clear immigration using the GE kiosk.

From my perspective very much worth the effort to get GE even if traveling only 2 to 4 times a year internationally.

As always, YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.