Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by tecate55
If I have a NEXUS card without an iris scan attached to it, can I still use the NEXUS card to bypass CATSA security lines at Canadian airports?

... and I should have just thrown out my contacts during my interview to get the iris scan done during the interview. Oh well.
Assuming you are referring to departing from a Canadian airport, your physical NEXUS card is required to use their version of PreCheck.

Perhaps you have prescription glasses, you can wear it to have your iris scanned without an appointment. You can also wear it when entering a Canadian airport.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If I have a NEXUS card without an iris scan attached to it, can I still use the NEXUS card to bypass CATSA security lines at Canadian airports?

... and I should have just thrown out my contacts during my interview to get the iris scan done during the interview. Oh well.
NEXUS card will allow you to access CATSA Trusted Traveller security line; it won't allow you to bypass security.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM

Just to be clear, you can visit a Nexus enrollment center to get an iris scan. All airport locations take iris photographs, and some non-airport locations do as well. No appointment is needed in order to just get an iris scan - in fact it is not possible to make an appointment for just an iris scan, that service is walk-in only.

Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS Enrolment Centres
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by seawolf
NEXUS card will allow you to access CATSA Trusted Traveller security line; it won't allow you to bypass security.
I had a while where the nexus machines wouldn't register my iris for whatever reason. So I would typically take the Nexus lane anyways and just tell CATSA of the issue. They would make me fill out a CBSA declaration card on the spot, but yes, one would skip the long line ups from normal immigration.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:54 pm

You only have to show your nexus card to get into the special CATSA security line - they don't make you scan your irises. That's only for CBSA when arriving into Canada.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:42 pm

GETTING CONFLICTING INFORMATION: Today at a Nexus renewal appointment at a Canadian Airport I was told by the CBSA agent that it is not enough to update passport information in the Trusted Traveler Program System. I was told that any time personal documentation changed that I must also physically report to the NEXUS office to have the information updated. i was also told that just becauseI had updated the information in the TPP system it does not get relayed to the Canada. This information which I received in person seems contradictory to that information which is on the CBSA site

NEXUS members can access the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System to update a mailing address change and passport information that is already on file.

Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.

NEXUS members must report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change other information including:

Legal name changes
Changes to citizenship documents
Changes to permanent resident card information
Changes to naturalization certificates
Changes to work visas or study permit information
Changes to employment information if the change affects your eligibility to the program
Change to residential address only if the change affects your eligibility to the program
Changes to legal custody and legal guardian status or jurisdiction (for all NEXUS members under 18)
Changes that could affect your NEXUS membership such as an arrest, a criminal charge, a conviction or a customs or immigration violation in Canada or the United States
Purpose of travel changes (business/pleasure/school, etc)
To update an email address, please contact a Canadian Processing Centre.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ConfusedNexusUser
GETTING CONFLICTING INFORMATION: Today at a Nexus renewal appointment at a Canadian Airport I was told by the CBSA agent that it is not enough to update passport information in the Trusted Traveler Program System. I was told that any time personal documentation changed that I must also physically report to the NEXUS office to have the information updated. i was also told that just becauseI had updated the information in the TPP system it does not get relayed to the Canada. This information which I received in person seems contradictory to that information which is on the CBSA site NEXUS members can access the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System to update a mailing address change and passport information that is already on file.

NEXUS members must report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change other information including:

Legal name changes
Changes to employment information if the change affects your eligibility to the program
Change to residential address only if the change affects your eligibility to the program
Changes to legal custody and legal guardian status or jurisdiction (for all NEXUS members under 18)
Changes that could affect your NEXUS membership such as an arrest, a criminal charge, a conviction or a customs or immigration violation in Canada or the United States
Per prior posts here, apparently the web site documented procedures are correct and the CBSA agent statement is not correct. Apparently the reason the CBSA agents at interview offices have the impression that TTP updates are insufficient is that "they" don't see them. Apparently the system is designed so that staff that need the information (such as customs inspectors at the airports) see all information, but renewal office agents don't see all updates (why would they have any need to see them anyway, unless they were going to interview that individual?). It actually makes sense - provide private information only to the staff that need it.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
GETTING CONFLICTING INFORMATION: Today at a Nexus renewal appointment at a Canadian Airport I was told by the CBSA agent that it is not enough to update passport information in the Trusted Traveler Program System. I was told that any time personal documentation changed that I must also physically report to the NEXUS office to have the information updated. i was also told that just becauseI had updated the information in the TPP system it does not get relayed to the Canada. This information which I received in person seems contradictory to that information which is on the CBSA site

NEXUS members can access the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System to update a mailing address change and passport information that is already on file.

Legal name changes
It is indeed contradictory. However from experience, the agent is correct. When you update the information online, it does not actually get updated with CBSA. I moved across Canada over a year ago, and I had updated it online at that time. Only until 3 months ago when I was there to update my visa information that I was asked if I still lived at my previous address...and was told that updating online does nothing.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:18 pm

I was told the account was flagged because the Canadian side didn't have updated passport information. I did update information on TTP site as soon as new passport was received (about year 3 into Nexus period). I was very specifically told, today, that the information in TTP is not given to the Canadian side and that not bringing the passport in to a Canadian Nexus processing center was a violation of the Nexus rules. The renewal was not going to be denied today but in future I must ensure that I update information both on the TTP site and in person at a Canadian processing center. The agent was very nice when conveying this information to me.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
It is indeed contradictory. However from experience, the agent is correct. When you update the information online, it does not actually get updated with CBSA. I moved across Canada over a year ago, and I had updated it online at that time. Only until 3 months ago when I was there to update my visa information that I was asked if I still lived at my previous address...and was told that updating online does nothing.
I was told the account was flagged because the Canadian side didn't have updated passport information. I did update information on TTP site as soon as new passport was received (about year 3 into Nexus period). I was very specifically told, today, that the information in TTP is not given to the Canadian side and that not bringing the passport in to a Canadian Nexus processing center was a violation of the Nexus rules. The renewal was not going to be denied today but in future I must ensure that I update information both on the TTP site and in person at a Canadian processing center. The agent was very nice when conveying this information to me.
Just to clarify that the CBSA NEXUS enrollment centre not seeing the online update sounds to be accurate but inconsequential as far as using NEXUS to enter Canada or US is concern. What matters is the system CBSA port of entry is using do have the online updates.

Recent data points confirm this.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30520508-post11132.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30466374&postcount=11122

ConfusedNexusUser - I presume you filled out a renewal application. If so, it would have went thru background check processes by both CBSA Immigration Processing Centre and CBP and conditionally approved before allow you are allowed to interview. So if the enrollment centre is seeing your old passport from 2 years ago (assuming 5 year expiration and you indicated you updated online 3rd year since prior interview), that is indication that they really don't get updates but the CBSA processing centre did in order to do the background check and eligibility verification.

Last edited by seawolf; Mar 3, 2019 at 8:32 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by trmbn65
In their defense (I don't normally defend TSA), depending on the airport they may have never seen a NEXUS card outside of training. I've used mine at small airports away from the land border and had them actually ask questions about how I got one and what it benefits it enables.
Meh, they have gotten a lot better about this since the countless threads about various ordeals - including multiple of mine - from 7-8 years ago. I've not had NEXUS challenged at any airport, including places like Montgomery, AL, in at least 5 years.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
We somehow let my wife's Nexus pass expire last year (she didn't leave the country that year) and discovered this until the day before we started our trip. FWIW, KTN entered into WS reservation after expiration yielded Pre-Check (FWIW, departing Canada?) on the second leg. Used the passes to avoid the long line for transit security and it managed to get us into the immigration fast lane too for pre-clearance (we used the normal machines).

Departing the U.S. tomorrow with a flight that participates in Pre-Check, and will have flights arriving into and leaving the U.S. in a couple of months where KTN is inputable.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Any idea how long applications are taking nowadays? I applied for renewal for my wife's and mine, and a new application for our newborn, back in January. My wife's was approved right away, but mine and the baby's are still pending review.

TIA
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Do babies/infants applying for Nexus get their fingerprint taken for use at the Gobal Entry US clearance machines in airports ? If not, what's the process of using the Nexus privileges for US immigration clearance at airports ?
They can still use the machine. When we took our toddler through, the fingerprint scan part was just blanked out. The ticket that printed forced us to go to a booth and see an agent, but there was no hassle there, just a couple quick questions and some keystrokes. He got his Nexus card when he was only a few weeks old, so even if they took fingerprints back then, they probably wouldn't match now that he's almost 3.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ride red
Any idea how long applications are taking nowadays? I applied for renewal for my wife's and mine, and a new application for our newborn, back in January. My wife's was approved right away, but mine and the baby's are still pending review.

TIA
Please check out the following threads:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.