Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiraly
This info card, which says passport updates must be done in person, was given to me by a CBSA officer at the Vancouver urban enrollment centre five months ago. Curiously, it also gives a fax number for document updates.
We went over this flyer awhile back. First section of that flyer is to direct member to check website. I understand you received this five months ago.

Nonetheless, let's take an average member for instance. I think we can agree majority of NEXUS members are not on Flyertalk. Given a passport is valid for 10 years (US, not sure about Canadian), let’s say average member’s passport will expire in 5 years since NEXUS enrollment.

Member get this flyer at initial enrollment and very likely don't even have it any longer. What do they do? Check website. Which instructions do you think they will believe to be more authoritative? CBSA webpage or a 5 year old piece of paper?

Furthermore some renewals nowadays don't even require an interview. Theoretically, a NEXUS member may not even have to deal with an expired passport situation until years 7, 8, 9, 10 after initial enrollment. Which instructions do you think they will believe? The webpage or a 9 year old piece of paper (assuming they still have it in their possession)?

I agree certain updates require a visit to NEXUS office but an update to passport# and expiry date (eg new passport for same nationality as previous passport) isn't one of them. My next trips to Canada are in March, July, and August. I'll report back on my entry experiences to this thread at that time. At those point in time, my previous passport would have been expired 4, 8 and 9 months.

Also, why does the FAX number not apply for Vancouver residents?!?!? They don't have option of fax? What happens if you are Vancouver resident and you fax it in?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Also, why does the FAX number not apply for Vancouver residents?!?!? They don't have option of fax? What happens if you are Vancouver resident and you fax it in?
They don't explain why, but my guess is that people who are local to Vancouver are expected to visit the office in person, and those who aren't local can fax it in to the office (it's a Vancouver fax number).

So much confusing and conflicting information about this aspect of the program.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Kiraly

what is the meaning of non-GVRD residents?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:01 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer

what is the meaning of non-GVRD residents?
I believe it stands for Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD).
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jasdou
Does anyone have recent experience with passport renewal and updating the information with NEXUS? I do remember the CBSA agent mentionning that I would have to go in-person to update my passport information but the NEXUS website now says that updates can be done through the TTP portal and "that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA".

If I can avoid a trip to the airport just to update my NEXUS/passport data, that would be great, but I want to make sure the information posted online is correct!
It's said that for a couple of years at least. And consensus in talking to several Canadian agents over pretty much my entire Nexus experience, spanning back 10+ years, and including the last couple, is that it needs to be done in person. Experience, in both talking to agents, and that mentioned here in this thread, is that entering in GOES (previously), and presumably, and for me, absent any further evidence, TTP website (now), does not translate over the to the Canadian system. American agents will tell you to use TTP site, Canadian will tell you its not sufficient. I'll take the 10 - 15 extra minutes or so every 10 years to update in person (before my next flight), as I'd rather doubly make sure that they have what they need, rather than find out the hard way they don't. Just my 2 cents.

I agree certain updates require a visit to NEXUS office but an update to passport# and expiry date (eg new passport for same nationality as previous passport) isn't one of them. My next trips to Canada are in March, July, and August. I'll report back on my entry experiences to this thread at that time. At those point in time, my previous passport would have been expired 4, 8 and 9 months.
Again, according to Canadian agents, at least many of them, they disagree. And that means its best to take the few extra minutes to get it done to ensure a level of compliance that agents agree with.

Maybe you're technically right, I agree the website should be up to date and accurate, but in a conflict with an agent (invariably, Canadian) who disagrees, it doesn't really matter....you can be technically right, but that's not going to stop them from taking it away if they want. The time we're talking about to update isn't worth the time, hassle, complaints to ombudsman, etc. about the cancellation being improper/unreasonable. It's just much. much, much easier to do in person.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:00 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by emcampbe
It's said that for a couple of years at least. And consensus in talking to several Canadian agents over pretty much my entire Nexus experience, spanning back 10+ years, and including the last couple, is that it needs to be done in person. Experience, in both talking to agents, and that mentioned here in this thread, is that entering in GOES (previously), and presumably, and for me, absent any further evidence, TTP website (now), does not translate over the to the Canadian system. American agents will tell you to use TTP site, Canadian will tell you its not sufficient. I'll take the 10 - 15 extra minutes or so every 10 years to update in person (before my next flight), as I'd rather doubly make sure that they have what they need, rather than find out the hard way they don't. Just my 2 cents.
First off, which CBSA agents are we talking about? Those sitting behind a desk an an enrollment centre or those doing the actual inspection at PoE or another group? Different teams have could have different access to CBSA systems. For example, if you refer to sections 7 and 8 of ENF-29, you'll see the NEXUS application process involves checking various databases by CBSA PC (Processing Centre). Interesting enough, section 8.2 states that CBSA personnel at enrollment centres (EC) do not have access to these databases. That is evidence that CBSA EC officers may not have visibility on the overall NEXUS IT architecture ("big picture").

I have no doubt CBSA Enrollment Centre agents are telling you the truth when they say they don't see updates. But it doesn't mean the inspection PoE agents don't see the updates from TTP. Furthermore in section 9.2, it states that during inspection at PoE, a mandatory referral to secondary inspection for "a member who is travelling on expired immigration status documents." We have FT datapoints indicating those who updated only online did not get send to secondary. First hand experience, I did not get sent to secondary entering Canada twice after expiry of original passport. In fact, the entry this week was the easiest land border entry ever. I drove up to NEXUS booth, agent asked anything to declared? I replied no and was waived off. Usually they would at least have me roll down the 2nd row tinted windows of SUV to confirm no other passengers.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Again, according to Canadian agents, at least many of them, they disagree. And that means its best to take the few extra minutes to get it done to ensure a level of compliance that agents agree with.

Maybe you're technically right, I agree the website should be up to date and accurate, but in a conflict with an agent (invariably, Canadian) who disagrees, it doesn't really matter....you can be technically right, but that's not going to stop them from taking it away if they want. The time we're talking about to update isn't worth the time, hassle, complaints to ombudsman, etc. about the cancellation being improper/unreasonable. It's just much. much, much easier to do in person.
As indicated throughout the years, you can update if you want. But please don't start with the fear mongering again.

I don't want to have to go back and quote the old post containing the tally of datapoints of people who actually lost NEXUS due to failure to update (passport#/expiry date only) in person vs. datapoints of people who continued to be able to use NEXUS after updating online only. If I recall, the last count for the former is 0 while the later is greater than 0 and that doesn't even include my personal experience with my Dec 2017 passport expiration.

In summary,
  1. CBSA website makes it pretty clear you don't have to update expired passport in person. Would a reasonable person comply with the latest information on the website or some flyer (or verbal instruction) given to them potentially up to 10 years ago?
  2. ENF-29 indicates CBSA policy requires secondary inspection on expired documents during PoE inspection. Not only are there no FT datapoints reporting NEXUS members losing NEXUS for failing to update in person, there is no datapoint (that I can find/recall) reporting a NEUXS member being sent to secondary inspection to begin with for failing to update passport in person.
  3. ENF-29 suggest different teams within CBSA have different access CBSA IT systems. Just because enrollment centre don't see updates doesn't necessarily mean PoE officers don't see them.

Last edited by seawolf; Jan 11, 2018 at 11:30 pm Reason: Included ENF-29
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:49 pm

Hi all.

Out of curiosity. Has anyone gone through name change for the nexus card? Well, me and the family change our family name but since our passport was all pretty new, I decided to change just my passport with the new name. Well, coincidentally my Nexus card expired. So I went to the TPS and renew my card with new info on my passport and I was expecting to be called for interview. Well, I didn't. Got the renewal approved and sent to me with my old name. So I'm guessing, I'll have to do one of the visit to the office in the border to show the legal paper work including my new passport and have them re-issue a new one? Is that how it works? I tried to do it online and it wouldn't let me. Also, for the rest of my family, do I need to change their passport first with the new name before we can update the nexus with the new name? The rest of my family's nexus card are also expiring so I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to do it. Any suggestion? I live in Seattle and I'm an American. From what I heard, the DT Seattle office is like almost impossible to get in since they are so busy and I'm not quite sure whether I need to schedule an appointment to see any of them? My choice is either DT Seattle or the Blaine border crossing nexus. Can anyone give me an advise? Many thanks everyone.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:11 am

I actually called our local Nexus office after submitting my new passport number on line and was told to come in to be on the safe side and maybe avoid a secondary inspection. As I mentioned before, I had no problems traveling by car back and forth but I wanted to make sure everything was order for flying in and out of Canada.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:30 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by ledude
Hi all.

Out of curiosity. Has anyone gone through name change for the nexus card? Well, me and the family change our family name but since our passport was all pretty new, I decided to change just my passport with the new name. Well, coincidentally my Nexus card expired. So I went to the TPS and renew my card with new info on my passport and I was expecting to be called for interview. Well, I didn't. Got the renewal approved and sent to me with my old name. So I'm guessing, I'll have to do one of the visit to the office in the border to show the legal paper work including my new passport and have them re-issue a new one? Is that how it works? I tried to do it online and it wouldn't let me. Also, for the rest of my family, do I need to change their passport first with the new name before we can update the nexus with the new name? The rest of my family's nexus card are also expiring so I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to do it. Any suggestion? I live in Seattle and I'm an American. From what I heard, the DT Seattle office is like almost impossible to get in since they are so busy and I'm not quite sure whether I need to schedule an appointment to see any of them? My choice is either DT Seattle or the Blaine border crossing nexus. Can anyone give me an advise? Many thanks everyone.
This, as you found out, can’t been done online. You must report to an enrollment center.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Nexus

If I visited other countries since I got approved for Nexus do I need to inform CBP of that?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
No, they already know.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:58 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
If I visited other countries since I got approved for Nexus do I need to inform CBP of that?
You can "inform" them during your renewal application.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
First off, which CBSA agents are we talking about? Those sitting behind a desk an an enrollment centre or those doing the actual inspection at PoE or another group? Different teams have could have different access to CBSA systems. For example, if you refer to sections 7 and 8 of ENF-29, you'll see the NEXUS application process involves checking various databases by CBSA PC (Processing Centre). Interesting enough, section 8.2 states that CBSA personnel at enrollment centres (EC) do not have access to these databases. That is evidence that CBSA EC officers may not have visibility on the overall NEXUS IT architecture ("big picture").

I have no doubt CBSA Enrollment Centre agents are telling you the truth when they say they don't see updates. But it doesn't mean the inspection PoE agents don't see the updates from TTP. Furthermore in section 9.2, it states that during inspection at PoE, a mandatory referral to secondary inspection for "a member who is travelling on expired immigration status documents." We have FT datapoints indicating those who updated only online did not get send to secondary. First hand experience, I did not get sent to secondary entering Canada twice after expiry of original passport. In fact, the entry this week was the easiest land border entry ever. I drove up to NEXUS booth, agent asked anything to declared? I replied no and was waived off. Usually they would at least have me roll down the 2nd row tinted windows of SUV to confirm no other passengers.

As indicated throughout the years, you can update if you want. But please don't start with the fear mongering again.

I don't want to have to go back and quote the old post containing the tally of datapoints of people who actually lost NEXUS due to failure to update (passport#/expiry date only) in person vs. datapoints of people who continued to be able to use NEXUS after updating online only. If I recall, the last count for the former is 0 while the later is greater than 0 and that doesn't even include my personal experience with my Dec 2017 passport expiration.

In summary,
  1. CBSA website makes it pretty clear you don't have to update expired passport in person. Would a reasonable person comply with the latest information on the website or some flyer (or verbal instruction) given to them potentially up to 10 years ago?
  2. ENF-29 indicates CBSA policy requires secondary inspection on expired documents during PoE inspection. Not only are there no FT datapoints reporting NEXUS members losing NEXUS for failing to update in person, there is no datapoint (that I can find/recall) reporting a NEUXS member being sent to secondary inspection to begin with for failing to update passport in person.
  3. ENF-29 suggest different teams within CBSA have different access CBSA IT systems. Just because enrollment centre don't see updates doesn't necessarily mean PoE officers don't see them.
My daughter is a nexus cardholder (as my wife and I are). Recently she got her passport renewed, but she has not yet had a chance to link the new passport to her nexus card.
Nonetheless, she was able to go to the USA via YVR a few weeks ago (one day after she got her new passport) - obviously, the Global Entry machine could not read her passport. But she was able to enter her nexus card information to the machine, and then the US customs agent did ask her about the lack of linkage. She said she would do so in a timely manner (we live in Ottawa) - so she was let into the US.

I guess the options are for her to go to the enrollment centre in Ottawa and do it then ( a couple of years ago, my wife and I went to the enrollment centre in Toronto and got our new passport linked to our pre-existing nexus cards). But I guess the other way is to do it on-line. However, we are having trouble with the new re-designed web site , in try to figure out how to do that. Where would I find the instructions for her to do that?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Member

You have to create a new account on the TTP website. You should be able to obtain the link via the NEXUS pages on either the CBSA or CBP sites. Part of the account enrollment would ask if you are currently a member of a TTP and link via PASSID. Once account is created you should be able to update an expired passport.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:41 am

Does anyone know if NEXUS enrollment centers in the US are affected by the government shutdown? I've seen some reports that some Global Entry ones are closed, but how about NEXUS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.