Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: Earned: AC SE, AA PLT - Comped: DL PLT, Avis PC, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Derek
Earlier posters are correct. One does receive approval online, but then must also make an appointment for an interview. As stated earlier, they need all your fingerprints on file, with Nexus they only have your index fingers. As well, they must put a little CBP sticker on the back of your passport. Customs officers always ask to see this when you hand in your receipt to exit the customs hall. If you have not had an interview, the sytem will not recognize your passport or your fingerprints and you will have to fill in a blue form and go to the back of the queue. If they have changed the Nexus process and collect all your fingerprints, well you still need the sticker to get out of the customs hall...
If your fingerprints are on file from nexus, you do *not* need to schedule an interview - you just need to pop into any global entry office to pick up your sticker.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mattm00se
If your fingerprints are on file from nexus, you do *not* need to schedule an interview - you just need to pop into any global entry office to pick up your sticker.
Anyone know if you can go to a Nexus office to have all of your prints scanned before applying to global entry, so it will be on the system (for those of us who only had one print done). And if so, would this require an appointment?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta/Gold
Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the Nexus interview? I've booked about an hour prior to when I was already planning to cross the border.
BTW... the application process online was pretty good and the response took 4 days. Pretty efficient.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 8:57 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond. Marriott - Gold, IHG - Diamond Elite, Amex - Cent
I just had my Nexus interview this morning in Ottawa. I was in and out in 10 minutes. They never really asked me any questions, the Canadian Border services guy just looked at my paperwork, took the pictures of my eyes and then showed me the machine. The American CBP agent, asked me why I applied and that was it. Took my picture and then all my fingerprints and I was out. I arrived about 20 mins early, they took me right away.

Last edited by SkierYOW; Oct 1, 2010 at 10:32 am
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: UA G
Can I get the iris scan done before the interview? I will be transiting YUL, but doing my interview at SEA about a week and a half later.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unavaca
Can I get the iris scan done before the interview? I will be transiting YUL, but doing my interview at SEA about a week and a half later.
I don't know for sure, but my strong suspicion is no. If you haven't had your interview yet, you are not approved, only "conditionally approved." Full approval only comes once you have talked to both Canadian and US officers during your interview and had your documents verified, etc.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I don't know for sure, but my strong suspicion is no. If you haven't had your interview yet, you are not approved, only "conditionally approved." Full approval only comes once you have talked to both Canadian and US officers during your interview and had your documents verified, etc.
Hmph, okay. I suppose I will try doing a walk-in while I'm in YUL and see if they might take me...
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by unavaca
YVR is now 11/8 and Vancouver Urban is now 10/14.
Parents got approved today, but now its 11/9. Parents fly out the 8th

Does anyone know if Blaine has the iris scanner? IIRC, a year ago when I was about to do mine, if I went to Blaine, I had go to a iris can center as well.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Can Canadian Nexus holders apply (and receive) Global Entry or is it only for US citizens / Green Card holders?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
Can Canadian Nexus holders apply (and receive) Global Entry or is it only for US citizens / Green Card holders?
Currently it is only US Citizens/Residents. However, at a recent event a high-ranking US official said that it will be opened to Canadians in the near future. More details are to come in December apparently. If you read up a few points you'll see the posts on the subject.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chanp
Parents got approved today, but now its 11/9. Parents fly out the 8th

Does anyone know if Blaine has the iris scanner? IIRC, a year ago when I was about to do mine, if I went to Blaine, I had go to a iris can center as well.
Not sure if Blaine has one or not, but if you go to the page listing the enrollment centers on the Nexus website (nexus.gc.ca), there is a designation (perhaps with a *) noting the ones that do iris scans. In the worst case, you can always do your interview with an appointment at a non-iris scanning center, and then go to one that has the equipment to get your iris' scanned, no appointment necessary.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So before I knew anything about FT, or did any sort of due diligence as a newbie flyer about 6.5 years ago... I had a INSPASS which I used (ignorantly) on a weekend to travel somewhere for vacation - this was when it was code yellow - so after I had my prints scanned and I walked through the little automatic gate that opens for you in the customs hall at the old YYZ T2 (aka former transborder terminal building)... a US agent stopped me and asked me where I was going and I told him the truth as I didn't think anything of it - he then directed me to one of the regular booths where another agent scolded me for 10 seconds, took my INSPASS (I pleaded my ignorance, which is absolutely no excuse, but was certainly the truth at the time) but didn't ask for my I-94 multiple entry VISA which was stapled to my passport. He let me through in any case. I never had any issues crossing the border following that... a "blip" on the radar so to speak. Upon my next entry into the US the following week, I stopped and politely told another US agent my situation and he said that I can go into the office and speak with someone and it shouldn't be a problem to get it back per se - I didn't have time at that moment as I had to catch a flight, and didn't bother getting it back anyway. Shortly after that it went code orange for a really long time and then the INSPASS system was terminated.

Question: Should I or should I not mention this at all? I'm afraid that if I mention it they'll red flag me, but if I don't they'll red flag me. To me, it wasn't a big deal at all, more of a "nuisance".

To add: when the officer took my card, he just took it and dumped it aside and didn't enter anything into his computer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I tried reading this entire thread, but my eyes glazed over after 200 posts of over 1,500!

Last edited by yyznomad; Oct 5, 2010 at 10:38 am
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:15 pm

NEXUS didn't work after 3 tries @YVR

Fortunately there was no lineup here.
is there anything I need to do to check it? Is there a way to "make" it work better?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by manodestra
is there anything I need to do to check it? Is there a way to "make" it work better?
get your eyes RE-scanned…

Last edited by dnotes; Oct 5, 2010 at 1:26 pm
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manodestra
Sometimes it's the machines too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.