Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

CATSA Verified Travellers / NEXUS Lanes at Canadian Security Checkpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CATSA Verified Travellers / NEXUS Lanes at Canadian Security Checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2023, 1:20 am

Programs: EY
Flew from Toronto YYZ to the US recently from the Terminal 1 transborder area. You go around the front side to the back entrance, scan your GE/NEXUS, then scan your boarding pass again at the security line. Take your laptop completely out but otherwise everything can generally stay in, light jackets on, shoes on, belts on. Other than the laptop it seems identical to TSA Precheck, although VT lanes at other checkpoints that serve non-transborder US flights do not have to remove their laptops for whatever reason. Walk right to the immigration point (meet up with the regular travellers without VT), and about three minutes to complete the GE/NEXUS photo and chat with a CBP officer.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Alaska MVP Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Just returned from YVR today. A new lobby side NEXUS/Global Entry lane. Shoes on now applies to YVR also.
Just went through this at YVR today (specifically, the E gates for transborder — I think domestic has had VT already). Really nice. They're still calling it a "trial" right now, which is why it doesn't show up on the CATSA website, but hopefully they make it official soon.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Bokehman
On a YYZ-YUL trip a few weeks back, I didn’t even see the Verified Traveler lane at YYZ. However, no one was taking their shoes off.

Does YUL even have a VT lane? It looked like everyone was just funneling through one, regular lane. Same thing, though … shoes on.
Shoes normally stay on for domestic travel in Canada.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by tuquee
Just went through this at YVR today (specifically, the E gates for transborder — I think domestic has had VT already). Really nice. They're still calling it a "trial" right now, which is why it doesn't show up on the CATSA website, but hopefully they make it official soon.
I went thorough this earlier this week. Definitely new and improved over what they had in the summer. First thing I noticed was that I was allowed to use the VT lane due to showing precheck on my mobile BP. I was not asked for a GE card like in the past. This could be good news for those with GE but are not eligible for a card. I noticed that the CATSA website still does not mention the new setup at YVR. The actual process is also exactly like precheck - shoes on, no need to take the laptops out etc. However the line did move very slowly and they seemed to be taking ages to process some people. While I could not see how others were being handled when I walked through the detector it beeped. I was then told to stand aside and the they swabbed my hands and a couple of places - looking for traces of explosive perhaps? - not sure what that was all about but it was pretty quick. Still not as quick as Precheck at my local airport SAN but hopefully they will improve things over time.

The GE processing at CBP also seems to have been updated - a different layout to the GE line with new facial recognition machines - recognized me immediately (no one else in the line at the time) - went up to be called by agent, was asked where I was heading and allowed to exit. Took less than a minute.

Overall a decent experience.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 7:17 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by blue_can
I went thorough this earlier this week. Definitely new and improved over what they had in the summer. First thing I noticed was that I was allowed to use the VT lane due to showing precheck on my mobile BP. I was not asked for a GE card like in the past. This could be good news for those with GE but are not eligible for a card. I noticed that the CATSA website still does not mention the new setup at YVR. The actual process is also exactly like precheck - shoes on, no need to take the laptops out etc. However the line did move very slowly and they seemed to be taking ages to process some people. While I could not see how others were being handled when I walked through the detector it beeped. I was then told to stand aside and the they swabbed my hands and a couple of places - looking for traces of explosive perhaps? - not sure what that was all about but it was pretty quick. Still not as quick as Precheck at my local airport SAN but hopefully they will improve things over time.

The GE processing at CBP also seems to have been updated - a different layout to the GE line with new facial recognition machines - recognized me immediately (no one else in the line at the time) - went up to be called by agent, was asked where I was heading and allowed to exit. Took less than a minute.

Overall a decent experience.
Interesting because the VT website has from the beginning said transborder flights require laptops to be taken out, which was the only difference between those and international flights.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by xobile
Interesting because the VT website has from the beginning said transborder flights require laptops to be taken out, which was the only difference between those and international flights.
I don't specifically recall seeing any signs listing out the rules of the VT lane but I had a laptop and was not asked to take it out. But the website is also not up to date since it has no mention of the new VT lane at YVR.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 6:15 am

Does anyone know if the verified traveler lanes are set up in T1 at Pearson (YYZ) for connecting passengers going to the USA? I have a connecting flight to the USA in April from Canada at YYZ, but debating going through arrivals and to the main security checkpoint to use the Nexus lane if there isn't one set up for connecting passengers.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Verified Travellers / NEXUS Lanes at YYZ

Most of my travel is on AC or other Star Alliance lines. It's been many years since I flew out of T3 and in the interim I became a NEXUS member. The NEXUS line at T2 isn't the easiest to find and was wondering about T3 as I have an upcoming Porter flight to the U.S.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Heyden
Most of my travel is on AC or other Star Alliance lines. It's been many years since I flew out of T3 and in the interim I became a NEXUS member. The NEXUS line at T2 isn't the easiest to find and was wondering about T3 as I have an upcoming Porter flight to the U.S.
It’s hidden at the very far end of T3 departures past Delta check-in along a small corridor. Keep walking until you can’t walk anymore.
Heyden likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:01 am

Nexus holder and travelling through YYZ T1 on Air Canada arriving from domestic (D gates) and connecting to the USA (F gates)...does anyone know if it is worth it to leave the secure area when you land and instead of following the F connections sign, exit and go through the security and customs in the main lobby where they have a Nexus verified lane? I don't think the connections area has a Nexus lane for security.
Anyone ever done this when connecting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.