Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

CATSA Verified Travellers / NEXUS Lanes at Canadian Security Checkpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2023, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Canada revamps trusted-traveller program at several airports
---
“This includes being able to keep laptops, large electronics and compliant liquids and gels in their carry on,” Alghabra said.
---

The revamp will also allow children who are 17 years old and younger, along with adults 75 and older, to accompany verified travellers through security as long as they are on the same reservation.

Travellers who already have NEXUS and trusted-traveller cards are already eligible for the revamped program, Alghabra said.
I’m a bit confused by this. As a NEXUS member, I’ve used that lane (when it’s available) to fly within Canada, and at least one international flight. What makes this different except the new name, and flying with minors and seniors.

Last edited by TWA884; May 23, 2023 at 4:29 pm Reason: FT Rule 7: Posts containing links should contain enough information so as to be contributive to FlyerTalk itself.
Old May 23, 2023, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Minister of Transport announces new Verified Traveller program to improve the security screening experience for eligible travellers
This new Verified Traveller program will replace the current Trusted Traveller program. By June 21, 2023, dedicated Verified Traveller screening lines will be available at select domestic and international checkpoints in the following airports:
  • Vancouver International Airport
  • Edmonton International Airport
  • Calgary International Airport
  • Winnipeg International Airport
  • Toronto-Pearson International Airport T1 and T3
  • Montreal-Trudeau International Airport
The new Verified Traveller program will help ease congestion over time, as use of dedicated Verified Traveller lines grows. The new lines provide eligible travellers with select benefits at security screening checkpoints, such as keeping laptops, large electronics and compliant liquids and gels in their carry-on, and keeping their shoes, belt and light jacket on.
Old May 23, 2023, 6:05 pm

I'm also confused. i used the Nexus lanes when they were open. Left electronics in bag and shoes on.

This new process will make the lines longer won't they? Now I can bring non nexus with me through security, but customs they still need to line up while I use kiosk.
Old May 23, 2023, 6:09 pm

Last time I went through YVR transborder, the PreCheck/Nexus line required shoes off. Hopefully this means the end of that.
flyingin likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
CATSA NEXUS (finally) == TSA PRE ?

Originally Posted by flyingtortoise
Last time I went through YVR transborder, the PreCheck/Nexus line required shoes off. Hopefully this means the end of that.
I’m getting my hopes up this means CATSA Nexus line will finally be the same as TSA Pre.
In the past CATSA Nexus still required shoes and belts off and electronics out, at least for me at YVR and YYZ. This is long overdue.

nrg
Old May 24, 2023, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by karensmith
I'm also confused. i used the Nexus lanes when they were open. Left electronics in bag and shoes on.

This new process will make the lines longer won't they? Now I can bring non nexus with me through security, but customs they still need to line up while I use kiosk.
Where/when was this. Canada has required laptops come out, even in TT lanes. There have been exceptions for trials of new procedures/ equipment.
Old May 24, 2023, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Where/when was this. Canada has required laptops come out, even in TT lanes. There have been exceptions for trials of new procedures/ equipment.
Last year T3 in the Nexus lane at YYZ. I left everything in, sweater on, shoes on and walked through.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:13 pm

I get to try out the new experience next week, but - at YUL - it was always laptops and tablets out of the bags/sleeves and empty pockets.
At US departures in February, the X-ray machine dedicated to the NEXUS line was broken, so additionally we had to take shoes off among the "regular people", but normally as a NEXUS member I could keep them on.

Leaving my belt on will also be a perk.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

YYZ-YHZ June 1: Early morning there were zero people ahead of us in the Nexus line. Everything stayed in bag. Both my partner and I had iPads. Shoes stayed on.

YHZ-YYZ June 4: Early morning flight maybe 3-4 ahead of us in the Nexus line. Everything stayed in bag and shoes on. They did ask people to remove jackets. YHZ was using a full body scanner.

Anyway, both times we were done in under 5 minutes.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bokehman
They did ask people to remove jackets.
In all fairness, they state that "light jackets" can stay on.

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/verified-travellers
Old Jun 15, 2023, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YogiB
In all fairness, they state that "light jackets" can stay on.

True. I was wearing my fleece, but I took it off anyway.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
New CATSA Verified Traveler Program at YYZ

CATSA is rolling out the new Verified Traveler program as detailed here: https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/verified-travellers
This week I got to experience the new program at YYZ for both domestic and USA departures.
Domestic departure screening was just like TSA precheck: shoes and belts stay on and laptops stay packed away. No muss, no fuss.
USA departure screening was mostly the same EXCEPT laptops and iPads still had to come out. Shoes, jackets and belts stay on.
I verified with CATSA staff that the new procedure still requires large electronics to be taken out for both USA and Intl departures.
Both lines were very short and getting through was a breeze.
Hope someone finds this info helpful.
nrg
Rare likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 11:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ashill
In Canada (domestic), adult companions can go through the same line line if one of us has a NEXUS card (Global Entry/Pre-Check not sufficient), but it's just a shorter line with the same security procedures.
That is no longer allowed unless the no status companion is under 17 or over 75.

The screening has changed to be similar to Pre.

Last edited by seawolf; Jun 30, 2023 at 8:32 pm
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by seawolf
That is no longer allowed unless the no status companion is under 17 or over 75.

The screening has changed to be similar to Pre.
Not my experience from four times passing through security with my (adult) spouse and young kids in the last month, at YLW (only checkpoint), YVR (domestic connection to US departures), and YYC (US departures; it was a connection, but they routed us landslide to the only open checkpoint for US departures). No difference in the screening with a NEXUS card, but no-NEXUS adult companion joined me no questions asked.

Maybe at other airports or other checkpoints they have Pre-like procedures for NEXUS holders but not companions? Of course for domestic flights Canadian security is mostly like Pre anyway.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 10:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ashill
Not my experience from four times passing through security with my (adult) spouse and young kids in the last month, at YLW (only checkpoint), YVR (domestic connection to US departures), and YYC (US departures; it was a connection, but they routed us landslide to the only open checkpoint for US departures). No difference in the screening with a NEXUS card, but no-NEXUS adult companion joined me no questions asked.

Maybe at other airports or other checkpoints they have Pre-like procedures for NEXUS holders but not companions? Of course for domestic flights Canadian security is mostly like Pre anyway.
https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2023/05/minister-of-transport-announces-new-verified-traveller-program-to-improve-the-security-screening-experience-for-eligible-travellers.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.