Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Remote Interviews for Global Entry [Renewals Only / Not Yet Available for NEXUS]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884

Remote Interview Pilot for Trusted Traveler Programs

Eligible Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) members can now complete enrollment interviews with a CBP officer through video teleconferencing, while ensuring that the remote interview process maintains high security and privacy standards.

Eligibility

Some renewing Global Entry members who are conditionally approved are eligible to participate in the pilot. Renewing NEXUS, FAST and SENTRI members will be integrated into the pilot through a phased approach. First-time TTP applicants are not yet eligible to participate. NEXUS and FAST-North interviews at Canadian enrollment centers remain suspended until further notice.

Criteria

To be eligible for the remote interview pilot, TTP members must:
  • Be conditionally approved for a TTP renewal;
  • Be at least 18 years of age;
  • Have a photo on file with CBP that was taken (1) within the past 10 years, and (2) after the applicant was 14 years of age; and
  • Have previously submitted fingerprints to CBP.
Scheduling a Remote Interview

To schedule a remote interview, eligible applicants may log into their TTP dashboard and select the “Scheduling Your Remote Interview” link. CBP recommends that applicants verify their e-mail address of record by using the “Edit Profile” link prior to scheduling a remote interview. Doing so will ensure that the applicant receives appointment details and reminders.

Technology Requirements

CBP will use Zoom for government videoconferencing software to conduct the remote interviews. Applicants should ensure that their computer, tablet, or smartphone has a working microphone and camera, and that their device is capable of running the Zoom platform prior to scheduling their interview appointment.

Document Requirements

Applicants who schedule remote interviews will be able to access a virtual waiting room up to 15 minutes prior to their scheduled interview time through their TTP dashboard or the CBP OneTM Mobile Application, available for free in the Apple App Store and Google Play. Interviews will take approximately 15 minutes. Applicants should be prepared to show the following documents during their remote interview:
  • A valid passport. Applicants should bring all of their current passports to the interview so the information can be added to their file.
  • Documents providing proof of residency. Such proof may include a driver's license, mortgage statement, rental payment statement, or utility bill that features the applicant’s current home address.
  • A permanent residence card (if applicable).
Print Wikipost

Remote Interviews for Global Entry [Renewals Only / Not Yet Available for NEXUS]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDN_BOBCAT
Why does the page that comes up say 'Schedule Appointment: NEXUS' at the top

next line: Choose an Appointment Date:
next line: Location: Remote

Is it possible this is a new procedure or just a mistake on US government TTP page?
Been like that for more than a year. CBSA is not doing remote interviews.

They (and/or Canadian government) was willing to go with a publicized diplomatic disagreement with US and ended up with the just launched approach of splitting CBSA and CBP interviews into separate times than simply plant a CBSA officer in front of a camera to conduct a remote interview.
SPN Lifer and silverforumsurf like this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My dad had an interview scheduled for 1pm PDT today, and signed on at 3:45pm EDT. It’s 5:45pm EDT and no one has started the Zoom meeting.
Old May 4, 2023, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Just got conditionally approved for my 2nd NEXUS renewal since applying for it in Nov/Dec 2022. I was hoping I would not require an interview but no luck. I see it's allowing me to do in-person or remote appts but there is no remote dates available. Anyone know if that's because they're booked or they stopped doing remote interviews?
Old May 4, 2023, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
Just got conditionally approved for my 2nd NEXUS renewal since applying for it in Nov/Dec 2022. I was hoping I would not require an interview but no luck. I see it's allowing me to do in-person or remote appts but there is no remote dates available. Anyone know if that's because they're booked or they stopped doing remote interviews?
I moved your question to the relevant thread. As you can read here, remote interviews are not available for NEXUS.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
atcanobbio likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 1:01 pm

Renewal of Global Entry

I've followed the prompts online to "renew" my Global Entry, but eventually the language and buttons change to "apply online" (as if I'm applying anew and not simply renewing). I get to a page that says a new interview is required. So I called and they verified that "some" people have to go to the interview process all over again, while others can simply renew online without an interview. I live 3 hours form the nearest interview center, and she said that they MIGHT be able to give me a Zoom/video interview. For those who have done a video interview, was it just assigned to you, or did you have the option to choose it?
Also, I filled the application and paid the $100, and they say the renewal processing time is 4-6 months!!?

Last edited by cheaptom; May 11, 2023 at 9:29 am
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by sambagrrl07
My dad had an interview scheduled for 1pm PDT today, and signed on at 3:45pm EDT. It’s 5:45pm EDT and no one has started the Zoom meeting.

I came here looking for exactly this!

Did they ever show up? I've been sitting in the virtual waiting room for 3.5 hrs!!

I caught a post-holiday flu so I'm not doing anything else today anyway but this is kind of bizarre. I don't want to give up my slot but I also don't know if I'm wasting my time.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I’m conditionally approved, need an interview. Likely messed up countries visited. Is the scheduling site working? It shows zero zoom interviews through the end of the year!!

Last edited by milepig; Feb 3, 2024 at 9:48 am
Old Feb 3, 2024, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by milepig
I’m conditionally approved, need an interview. Likely messed up countries visited. Is the scheduling site working? It shows zero zoom interviews through the end of the year!!
Remote interview slots tend to open at the start of the business day for CBP, so check back next week in the morning US time and periodically thereafter until you find a slot.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnbp
Remote interview slots tend to open at the start of the business day for CBP, so check back next week in the morning US time and periodically thereafter until you find a slot.
A bunch of slots opened this morning first available was 2:20 (central) today. I grabbed it. Agent logged in at 2:21 and was approved at 2;:24. Easy Peasy, glad I didn’t schlep to ORD!!
1KChinito likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:43 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Just got my approval for interview a few minutes ago. Plenty of virtual times available tomorrow, but nothing else on the calendar -- and in-person is booked for weeks.

Originally Posted by iahphx
Are only certain people targeted for zoom interviews? Is it random?
As with everything security-related, we will never know -- it's the equivalent of an SSSS boarding pass, I guess.

Update: five-minute interview started early, just verbally verifying things on the application plus any updates (e.g., a trip to Canada a few months ago). Recommend doing this if it's an option; it saves appointment slots for those who need the photo/fingerprint.
Hint: disable any Zoom screen background effects beforehand. It interferes with them reading the passport / ID documents.

Last edited by paytonc; Feb 6, 2024 at 12:45 pm
Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paytonc
Just got my approval for interview a few minutes ago. Plenty of virtual times available tomorrow, but nothing else on the calendar -- and in-person is booked for weeks.

As with everything security-related, we will never know -- it's the equivalent of an SSSS boarding pass, I guess.

Update: five-minute interview started early, just verbally verifying things on the application plus any updates (e.g., a trip to Canada a few months ago). Recommend doing this if it's an option; it saves appointment slots for those who need the photo/fingerprint.
Hint: disable any Zoom screen background effects beforehand. It interferes with them reading the passport / ID documents.
reading them? I read them to him. Agree about the ease of you can grab a slot. I thought the form says you don’t need to list Canada?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I was able to get a remote interview today for next week for first-time NEXUS membership (current GE). I just read that there's new flexibility with the two-part interview where you can do the CBP EoA and a scheduled Canadian interview in any order; I wonder if this Zoom interview will count for both the CBP and CBSA interviews or if after this I'll still have to schedule a Canadian interview. (There isn't any mechanism online for me to do that right now with this Zoom interview booked.)

Posted more here:
Originally Posted by Rus925
Anyone been offered a virtual appointment for first time NEXUS (current GE, US citizen)? I was having trouble getting an appointment during an upcoming trip to Vancouver, just noticed virtual appointments were now an option (it had previously been an option but no appointments were available). Anyway, I booked one for next week. Any experience with these for first-time NEXUS?

As a data point:
Applied 12/2/22
Conditionally approved 8/1/23
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rus925
I was able to get a remote interview today for next week for first-time NEXUS membership (current GE). I just read that there's new flexibility with the two-part interview where you can do the CBP EoA and a scheduled Canadian interview in any order; I wonder if this Zoom interview will count for both the CBP and CBSA interviews or if after this I'll still have to schedule a Canadian interview. (There isn't any mechanism online for me to do that right now with this Zoom interview booked.)

Posted more here:
Unless they are doing an unannounced pilot, I wouldn't count on any interview taking place. IMO, it's a website bug and there's a risk your application will be stuck in limbo with no way to get an CBSA appointment.

Of course please report back.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 4:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by seawolf
Unless they are doing an unannounced pilot, I wouldn't count on any interview taking place. IMO, it's a website bug and there's a risk your application will be stuck in limbo with no way to get an CBSA appointment.

Of course please report back.
Hah my remote interview appointment got cancelled the next morning without notice. Must have been a glitch they caught.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.