Scheduling Global Entry Interview

Old Dec 10, 19, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Scheduling Global Entry Interview

I got $100 credit for Global Entry/TSA Pre check I believe when I got United credit card but now it's December and still I just get email if I fly abroad on my way back I can attend interview. If I don't fly overseas will they ever issue appointment?
Old Dec 10, 19, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jamesbondc View Post
I got $100 credit for Global Entry/TSA Pre check I believe when I got United credit card but now it's December and still I just get email if I fly abroad on my way back I can attend interview. If I don't fly overseas will they ever issue appointment?
very confused.

$100 credit has no relevance to an appointment, which is needed to get global entry. For more info on that, you’ll probably want to find an existing thread or start a new one in the Travel Safety and Security forum, which has a Trusted Traveller sub forum.

after applying to Global Entry, you get notified of an approval (or denial) once they’ve processed your application. If it’s an approval, you need to make an appointment for an interview, which you need to have before they allow you to be part of the program. Never used one, but I believe there is an office at some airport entry points where you can do your interview before you clear customs when returning back to the US - presumably no appointment needed - not sure the list, and while I can’t really understand much of your post, this kind of sounds like what you are asking about. The other way is to schedule an appointment at an office, which can be done online through the TTP website once your application is approved, no need for traveling at all. These are landslide at many airports.

also, if you don’t travel internationally, there is not really a point in applying for Global Entry. If you travel only domestically, Pre Check might be helpful, but that is a different process.

as for fee, when you apply, you need to submit payment with your online application. Once that charge hits your card, a credit should follow shortly after, and should be automatic. The credit can be used every 4 years (IIRC), so time of year you use it shouldn’t matter - as the membership is good for 5 years, so by the time you need to renew and pay again, you’ll have a new credit to use.
jamesbondc and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
very confused.

$100 credit has no relevance to an appointment, which is needed to get global entry. For more info on that, you’ll probably want to find an existing thread or start a new one in the Travel Safety and Security forum, which has a Trusted Traveller sub forum.

after applying to Global Entry, you get notified of an approval (or denial) once they’ve processed your application. If it’s an approval, you need to make an appointment for an interview, which you need to have before they allow you to be part of the program. Never used one, but I believe there is an office at some airport entry points where you can do your interview before you clear customs when returning back to the US - presumably no appointment needed - not sure the list, and while I can’t really understand much of your post, this kind of sounds like what you are asking about. The other way is to schedule an appointment at an office, which can be done online through the TTP website once your application is approved, no need for traveling at all. These are landslide at many airports.

also, if you don’t travel internationally, there is not really a point in applying for Global Entry. If you travel only domestically, Pre Check might be helpful, but that is a different process.

as for fee, when you apply, you need to submit payment with your online application. Once that charge hits your card, a credit should follow shortly after, and should be automatic. The credit can be used every 4 years (IIRC), so time of year you use it shouldn’t matter - as the membership is good for 5 years, so by the time you need to renew and pay again, you’ll have a new credit to use.
I guess, I must be approved since they keep sending me email from past 7 or 9 months if I travel overseas on my way back I can interview. Now, I need help figuring out process of how I can interview without having to fly overseas.
Old Dec 10, 19, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *AG, AmEx Plat
I guess, I must be approved since they keep sending me email from past 7 or 9 months if I travel overseas on my way back I can interview. Now, I need help figuring out process of how I can interview without having to fly overseas.
If you aren't sure, you can go to the Global Entry .gov website to check your application status. If it's at the stage where it's conditionally approved, you just have to manually schedule an appointment.
Depending on where you live, there are offices available (in or out of the airport) that you can go and finish your interview at. You'll have to see which offices are available to you, if you aren't going to fly overseas.
Old Dec 10, 19, 9:21 pm
st3

Programs: National Exec, UA MP, Bonvoy
FYI there is a backlog of Global Entry applications, mine has been pending for weeks.
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
You can go for the interview anytime at any airport with the appropriate staff (see the GEOS website for the list). You do not need to be traveling international, they may be suggesting you do this on an international trip because you can do the interview at nearly every international gateway airport in the USA.
Old Dec 10, 19, 10:52 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Not sure where you are, but there are non-airport locations where you can go for your interview. I had my interview about 5 minutes walking distance from work.
Old Dec 11, 19, 4:31 am

My renewal application has been pending review since August. It expired in November and I flew after it expired. Apparently they are honoring it anyway.
Old Dec 11, 19, 5:45 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
My application has been pending since Sept...
I have taken since then 5 international flights.. not been a problem..
I hear those re-applying have a year, (after expiration).
Old Dec 11, 19, 6:11 am

Yes, I’d heard the same.
Old Dec 11, 19, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Not sure where you are, but there are non-airport locations where you can go for your interview. I had my interview about 5 minutes walking distance from work.
Boca Raton, FL.
Old Dec 11, 19, 9:50 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note

We have several threads discussing issues raised in this thread which came over from the United forum:
Global Entry Enrollment Interview Availability

Global Entry Enrollment Centers Locations/Information

Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival

Global Entry - processing timelines of first time applications [US citizens & LPR's]

Global Entry Renewal

Global Entry Enrollment Interview Experiences and Questions Asked in the Interview
I'll also note that the enrollment interview must be completed within one year of receiving the conditional approval or the application will be canceled.

For indexing and future search purposes, please continue the discussions in the relevant threads.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: