Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS Kiosks Facial Recognition Verification, eGates and Declaration Flow Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEXUS Kiosks Facial Recognition Verification, eGates and Declaration Flow Change

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2022, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Nevyn
Trying to get a definitive answer on this before my next US flight in the summer.

I am Canadian and have NEXUS but had interview in Port Huron so did not get the iris scan.

I know that without this, I cannot use NEXUS for customs FLYING into the US as the global entry machines they use do iris scanning. And if the office at Pearson opens before my summer trip I will definitely pop in to get the scan done.

My question is, is the iris scan necessary in any way to use the NEXUS line for Canadian customs on your arrival back to Pearson airport? I could be wrong, but Nexus seems to have the same declaration and photo machines as the regular line there.
Others have already answered that the iris scan part is dead but you appear to have had it backwards. Iris scans were required for entering Canada by air. Iris scans were never used for entry to the U.S.
asovse1 likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: EY
Trying to get a definitive answer on this before my next US flight in the summer.

I am Canadian and have NEXUS but had interview in Port Huron so did not get the iris scan.

I know that without this, I cannot use NEXUS for customs FLYING into the US as the global entry machines they use do iris scanning. And if the office at Pearson opens before my summer trip I will definitely pop in to get the scan done.

My question is, is the iris scan necessary in any way to use the NEXUS line for Canadian customs on your arrival back to Pearson airport? I could be wrong, but Nexus seems to have the same declaration and photo machines as the regular line there.

On my april trip, I contemplated trying the nexus line, but didn't want to get delayed in a mix up and braved the main line which likely cost me 60-90 minutes. In the event I can't get the scan done before my summer trip I'd love a clear answer on whether I can avoid a delay like that, because customs at Pearson are a gong show and I don't see the situation resolving anytime soon.
Others said the main points, I'll also point out that even if the nexus/ge line is closed, Nexus/Global Entry members get front of line privileges, and if your card/face doesn't work you can get manually processed.
Old May 6, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by BelmontRef
Others have already answered that the iris scan part is dead but you appear to have had it backwards. Iris scans were required for entering Canada by air. Iris scans were never used for entry to the U.S.
Google led me astray with a link to https://nexuscardapplication.com/iris-scans/

which seems to both be out of date and wrong.

Thanks everyone. Means I wasted over an hour last April but at least i will be ready for next trip
Old May 7, 2022, 4:06 am

Programs: EY
Google led me astray with a link to https://nexuscardapplication.com/iris-scans/

Thanks everyone. Means I wasted over an hour last April but at least i will be ready for next trip
Yeah those shady links are there to try to get people to pay a $150 'faciliation fee' for you, for them to do the 20 minute application on your behalf. Google is not your friend in these cases. Always go straight to the source, TTP website, CBP, CBSA...Although CBP websites can be terribly out of date too, some places still mention the old GOES webpage if I remember correctly.
seawolf and tecate55 like this.
Old May 7, 2022, 6:35 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Stick with site ending in .gov or .gc.ca for government information.

At best if you had filled out an application at the other sites, they scammed you for money at worst they took your personal information and who knows what they did with it.
Old May 8, 2022, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Stick with site ending in .gov or .gc.ca for government information.

At best if you had filled out an application at the other sites, they scammed you for money at worst they took your personal information and who knows what they did with it.
Never filled anything out. I simply remembered mention of the iris scan being required back when I applied, so tried googling the answer to whether it was still needed.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:39 pm

I used my Nexus card for the first time arriving to Canada on Sunday, May 22 at approximately 5pm at Toronto Pearson's Terminal 1. (I had previously used it in the Nexus security line to depart Canada but this was my first arrival with it.) Just wanted to share my experience. I'm a Canadian citizen who lives in Toronto.

​​​​​Before landing they advised us that customs metering is in effect and that only passengers that can prove they have a connection will be allowed to leave when the doors open. Everybody whose destination is Toronto must wait until further notice. There was no exceptions available for Nexus cardholders. I was worried I was I for a long delay on the tarmac, however thankfully as soon as the last connecting passenger departed they said everybody else could leave.

After a long walk to customs I got into the line for the Nexus kiosks. All of the machines were being used and there were about 15 people lined up in front of me. The non-Nexus line was quite full but seemed to be moving well, and the end of it did not leave the customs hall.

When I got to a Nexus kiosk and had to tap my card it worked without a problem, after that it asked for my passport to allow facial recognition to be on file which I was advised would happen during my Nexus interview. When I inserted my passport the first time it said it couldn't read it, others have mentioned the same problem. I then looked at the machine and it appears you have to insert your passport quite far into the slot for it to read, further than you might think. This is why other people may have been having trouble as it's not really intuitive. If you keep getting an error saying your passport can't be read, try shoving it further into the machine. On my second attempt it worked and then the machine moved and took a new photo of me to keep on file for Nexus (this replaces the iris scans that Nexus used to use for airport arrivals).

After that I got my printout and was on my way. As I didn't have anything to declare or have any checked baggage I was outside of the airport and on the UP Train home about 40 minutes after touching down, which is definitely a record for me. I did see the new eGates but chose to use a regular kiosk instead.

Happy travels!
OMCA likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jwmw
I used my Nexus card for the first time arriving to Canada on Sunday, May 22 at approximately 5pm at Toronto Pearson's Terminal 1. (I had previously used it in the Nexus security line to depart Canada but this was my first arrival with it.) Just wanted to share my experience. I'm a Canadian citizen who lives in Toronto.

​​​​​Before landing they advised us that customs metering is in effect and that only passengers that can prove they have a connection will be allowed to leave when the doors open. Everybody whose destination is Toronto must wait until further notice. There was no exceptions available for Nexus cardholders. I was worried I was I for a long delay on the tarmac, however thankfully as soon as the last connecting passenger departed they said everybody else could leave.

After a long walk to customs I got into the line for the Nexus kiosks. All of the machines were being used and there were about 15 people lined up in front of me. The non-Nexus line was quite full but seemed to be moving well, and the end of it did not leave the customs hall.

When I got to a Nexus kiosk and had to tap my card it worked without a problem, after that it asked for my passport to allow facial recognition to be on file which I was advised would happen during my Nexus interview. When I inserted my passport the first time it said it couldn't read it, others have mentioned the same problem. I then looked at the machine and it appears you have to insert your passport quite far into the slot for it to read, further than you might think. This is why other people may have been having trouble as it's not really intuitive. If you keep getting an error saying your passport can't be read, try shoving it further into the machine. On my second attempt it worked and then the machine moved and took a new photo of me to keep on file for Nexus (this replaces the iris scans that Nexus used to use for airport arrivals).

After that I got my printout and was on my way. As I didn't have anything to declare or have any checked baggage I was outside of the airport and on the UP Train home about 40 minutes after touching down, which is definitely a record for me. I did see the new eGates but chose to use a regular kiosk instead.

Happy travels!
I will add my experience, same terminal, arrived AC yesterday 6/1 (although due on 6/2 after midnight, we were actually 45 mins early, waited for our gate and deplaned quickly...). I was 1st row behind First so go a head start. Two people aheda of me at the Nexus machines. One got her scan etc no problem. Mine logged me in and all seemed ok then it wouldn't take my picture. Re-tried twice, no luck. Tried another machine, nope, tried another, nope. Decided to just see the agent before more people arrived - you can walk around the e-gates - and as I walked up I heard the customs woman say that the machines don't usually work properly! And I heard her say it to the person after me who couldn't get anything to work. So all I can figure is YMMV! The agent was kind and got me out of there pretty quickly.

Still annoyingly having to travel under my old (not legal) name, since no GE office I have been near accepts walk-ins and no Nexus near me is open.
OMCA likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by seawolf
Maybe try calling process center to figure out the problem.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nex....html#info-reg
To report - what happened recently.

My wife and I came back to YOW from HNL via YVR a few weeks ago.

This time much smoother - at least for my wife. Card worked; photo taken, she got the paper slip.

For me, card worked- with instructions- went to photo step- here I was having trouble.

The machine was too low- and I was not at right distance to the screen/camera.

No verbal instructions came out from that machine (should verbal instructions come out)?
The machine did not correct for height (should machine correct for height?).

Eventually a paper slip minus a photo came out.
Customs officer accepted both of our slips- even though my slip was without a photo?

I am going to Chicago via YYZ from YOW this weekend- let us see what happens when I come back to YOW via YYZ.
OMCA likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:08 pm

Can I use the Nexus card to enter the US at an airport without the iris scan? I got my card at a land border and they did not offer the scan. I was told I could use it to enter the US by air but not to return to Canada. Online it says otherwise. I am confused!
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jessica Cadieux
Can I use the Nexus card to enter the US at an airport without the iris scan? I got my card at a land border and they did not offer the scan. I was told I could use it to enter the US by air but not to return to Canada. Online it says otherwise. I am confused!
The Iris Scans no longer exist. Unfortunately a lot of websites out there haven't been updated to reflect this change. The first time you use your Nexus card upon arrival at a Canadian airport the kiosk will take a picture of you that will be associated with your passport, and from that point on the Nexus kiosks will use facial recognition for identity confirmation.

A CBSA Officer confirmed this to me when I got my first Nexus card in April of this year. They no longer do any iris scans at any Nexus Enrollment Centres and all of the kiosks that used Iris Scan tech have been replaced by ones that use facial recognition. I used my Nexus card when arriving by plane at Pearson in May and went through this process with no issues. I have no idea why people were still telling you about the need to get iris scans as it's my understanding that they haven't been used in a number of years. You should be good to go!

When you enter the US via a US Airport you will use Global Entry Kiosks with your passport, and your fingerprints are on file for this reason. If you're using a Nexus kiosk at a US Preclearance the above procedure will apply. The important thing to keep in mind is that No matter what country you're entering the iris scans are no longer used.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:23 pm

Wow, yeah I have been reading this thread. But also to enter the US by air, right? You spoke about Canada in your reply. I appreciate it. 😊
Nevermind, just saw the rest, thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jwmw
When you enter the US via a US Airport you will use Global Entry Kiosks with your passport, and your fingerprints are on file for this reason. If you're using a Nexus kiosk at a US Preclearance the above procedure will apply. The important thing to keep in mind is that No matter what country you're entering the iris scans are no longer used.
The GE Kiosk at Pearson uses facial recognition now. I didn't need to provide my prints.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
With the new nexus machines (at least in the last 2 months experience at YYZ/YVR/YOW)-the nexus machine does not seem to auto-align to my height.
I am 5'10"- but generally the nexus machine is auto- pointed in a direction meant to be a shorter height.

What do I have to do so the nexus machine can be aligned to my height for the photo-taking step?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 12:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
With the new nexus machines (at least in the last 2 months experience at YYZ/YVR/YOW)-the nexus machine does not seem to auto-align to my height.
I am 5'10"- but generally the nexus machine is auto- pointed in a direction meant to be a shorter height.

What do I have to do so the nexus machine can be aligned to my height for the photo-taking step?
bend your knees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.