FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEXUS Kiosks Facial Recognition Verification, eGates and Declaration Flow Change
Old Aug 10, 2022, 5:18 pm
jwmw

Originally Posted by Jessica Cadieux
Can I use the Nexus card to enter the US at an airport without the iris scan? I got my card at a land border and they did not offer the scan. I was told I could use it to enter the US by air but not to return to Canada. Online it says otherwise. I am confused!
The Iris Scans no longer exist. Unfortunately a lot of websites out there haven't been updated to reflect this change. The first time you use your Nexus card upon arrival at a Canadian airport the kiosk will take a picture of you that will be associated with your passport, and from that point on the Nexus kiosks will use facial recognition for identity confirmation.

A CBSA Officer confirmed this to me when I got my first Nexus card in April of this year. They no longer do any iris scans at any Nexus Enrollment Centres and all of the kiosks that used Iris Scan tech have been replaced by ones that use facial recognition. I used my Nexus card when arriving by plane at Pearson in May and went through this process with no issues. I have no idea why people were still telling you about the need to get iris scans as it's my understanding that they haven't been used in a number of years. You should be good to go!

When you enter the US via a US Airport you will use Global Entry Kiosks with your passport, and your fingerprints are on file for this reason. If you're using a Nexus kiosk at a US Preclearance the above procedure will apply. The important thing to keep in mind is that No matter what country you're entering the iris scans are no longer used.