Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Appealing GE denial for marijuana use?

Appealing GE denial for marijuana use?

Old Mar 1, 19, 3:56 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Appealing GE denial for marijuana use?

Hi,

I was just rejected from the Global Entry program for admitting to marijuana use. I explained while answering that I have only used it legally. (My partner is dragging me for being honest with the government...) Has anyone had success/heard of anyone having success appealing a rejection based on marijuana use?

I do not have any record associated with marijuana use. Indeed, I have a completely clean record, never even a scrape with the law, and am generally the most vanilla, low risk individual you could picture. So my self admitted usage would be the only reason I was rejected.

Thanks!
seafly812 is offline  
Old Mar 1, 19, 3:58 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 100,038
Legally? Do you mean overseas or do you mean in some state where it's no longer criminalized on the state level, but still would be a federal crime AFAIK?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 1, 19, 4:00 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Legally? Do you mean overseas or do you mean in some state where it's no longer criminalized on the state level, but still would be a federal crime AFAIK?
Unfortunately the latter.
seafly812 is offline  
Old Mar 1, 19, 6:47 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 18,086
Take a look at the following thread:
There are some posts from June and September 2018 discussing denials of Global Entry due to use of marijuana.

Result of an appeal is reported in the Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry? thread:
Originally Posted by runderwo View Post
Originally Posted by runderwo View Post
Ombudsman replied, after 5 months, and denied my appeal. They still did not list the specific reason but only "confirmed" the reasons I was given on my denial letter, which were none, just a vague "not meeting the requirements of the Global Entry program". Kafka would be impressed.

I cannot conclude otherwise from my experience than if an officer asks if you have ever used an illegal drug, the answer you must give is no.
After 5 years, a reapplication, another ombudsman rejection, a FOIA response pretending that a file to which the ombudsman's office referred in their rejection did not exist, and a FOIA appeal that demonstrated the government was lying about the nonexistence of the file in the FOIA response, I now have the answer.

Admission of any previous marijuana use, even though it is currently legal where I live, will disqualify you for life from Global Entry under the "strict program requirements" banner.

If the officer asks you this question, you are officially screwed because to obtain Global Entry you would be forced to make a false statement to a federal agent. The questions they choose to ask you seem to be at their discretion, so, perhaps cutting your hair and wearing a suit to your interview like it's still the 1950s would be a safe bet.
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
TWA884 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 19, 12:45 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: CHS
Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,497
I see this all the time at work, our drug control is administered by the NRC - a federal agency

You can have a script for codeine, Oxycontin and although you may not be allowed to enter the plant for work, you won't lose your job as it is federally legal to prescribe

Marijuana, OTOH is not federally legal to possess or prescribe - 10 year ban
Hipplewm is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 12:09 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 1
question: If I was denied Global Entry due to answering honestly about marijuana use, is it possible to re-apply just for TSA precheck or is that also "for life".
wanan51 is offline  
Old May 6, 20, 1:18 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 5
Will anyone recommend applying for reconsideration after being denied for Marijuana use. I was denied over a year ago and admitted to use of Marijuana. My reason for reapply is usage of recreational marijuana outside US. Please advice.

Last edited by therani.arch; May 7, 20 at 12:27 am
therani.arch is offline  
Old May 14, 20, 8:56 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 6,694
Originally Posted by therani.arch View Post
Will anyone recommend applying for reconsideration after being denied for Marijuana use. I was denied over a year ago and admitted to use of Marijuana. My reason for reapply is usage of recreational marijuana outside US. Please advice.
No personal experience but if the post above is accurate, then justifying marijuana use because it was legal where you used it isn't going to work. Yes, I realize there's an arguable difference between "legal in Colorado but illegal in US" and "legal in the Netherlands", but it would seem the issue is use, not legality, with an unstated assumption that if you're a (former) user then you might try to import.
drewguy is offline  
Old Apr 21, 21, 11:59 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 1
My experience

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
No personal experience but if the post above is accurate, then justifying marijuana use because it was legal where you used it isn't going to work. Yes, I realize there's an arguable difference between "legal in Colorado but illegal in US" and "legal in the Netherlands", but it would seem the issue is use, not legality, with an unstated assumption that if you're a (former) user then you might try to import.
My experience has been something out of the ordinary. I am a 61 year old retired police officer. Where at 56 I was diagnosed with a rare muscle disease. I was advised by my physician to acquire a marijuana card so that I could use it to help with the muscle and joint pain that I have on a daily basis. I had already acquired a global entry card 3 years prior to my getting the marijuana card. Apparently CBP have the capability of receiving information on anyone that has a marijuana card, at least in Florida. Approximately 3 months after receiving my marijuana card I received a notice from CBP that my global entry was revoked. After making numerous attempts to acquire why I have still not received a direct answer. I do not meet any of the criteria for being denied that they list on their web page. So I figured that's got to be the only reason why I was denied. I sent emails and letters and to no avail I have still not received a direct answer other than we're sorry but you no longer meet the criteria. So it's either I live in pain to travel or I manage my pain and have to wait and long lines again to go through customs. I rather manage my pain thank you very much. Good luck to you all that have similar issues.
Monocotman is offline  
Old Apr 21, 21, 1:39 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SFO
Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Posts: 5,314
Originally Posted by Monocotman View Post
My experience has been something out of the ordinary. I am a 61 year old retired police officer. Where at 56 I was diagnosed with a rare muscle disease. I was advised by my physician to acquire a marijuana card so that I could use it to help with the muscle and joint pain that I have on a daily basis. I had already acquired a global entry card 3 years prior to my getting the marijuana card. Apparently CBP have the capability of receiving information on anyone that has a marijuana card, at least in Florida. Approximately 3 months after receiving my marijuana card I received a notice from CBP that my global entry was revoked. After making numerous attempts to acquire why I have still not received a direct answer. I do not meet any of the criteria for being denied that they list on their web page. So I figured that's got to be the only reason why I was denied. I sent emails and letters and to no avail I have still not received a direct answer other than we're sorry but you no longer meet the criteria. So it's either I live in pain to travel or I manage my pain and have to wait and long lines again to go through customs. I rather manage my pain thank you very much. Good luck to you all that have similar issues.
Welcome to FT.

For domestic travel, you can apply for TSA PreCheck, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...on-thread.html, many credit card companies reimburse TSA or Global Entry application fee once every four years.

For international travel when returning to the U.S., you can use Mobile Passport US CBP Mobile Passport Control App, if available.
1KChinito is offline  
Old Sep 18, 21, 7:59 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 2
I'm in a slightly similar situation, except I wasn't caught with the marijuana.

Y'see, I had a Sentri card and currently lived in Mexico with a roommate. He's the one who uses it, not me, and as such has no Sentri. A year ago, I hitched a ride with him back to America. At the gates, we were subjected to a random inspection. They found marijuana on the vehicle and we were both detained for around two hours in secondary inspection. He admitted that the marijuana was his and we were set free, with neither of us receiving any fines or penalties. According to my roommate, he was given a warning not to cross the drug again (it's legal in California, but not on federal property).

Cut to a week ago and my Sentri's been revoked. I need to write a letter to the Ombudsman, but I don't think I need to provide records since I was not convicted. I'm a straight arrow guy, so I don't know if I need anything besides the letter. Any suggestions?
Anachronist is offline  
Old Sep 18, 21, 12:44 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SFO
Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Posts: 5,314
Originally Posted by Anachronist View Post
I'm in a slightly similar situation, except I wasn't caught with the marijuana.

Y'see, I had a Sentri card and currently lived in Mexico with a roommate. He's the one who uses it, not me, and as such has no Sentri. A year ago, I hitched a ride with him back to America. At the gates, we were subjected to a random inspection. They found marijuana on the vehicle and we were both detained for around two hours in secondary inspection. He admitted that the marijuana was his and we were set free, with neither of us receiving any fines or penalties. According to my roommate, he was given a warning not to cross the drug again (it's legal in California, but not on federal property).

Cut to a week ago and my Sentri's been revoked. I need to write a letter to the Ombudsman, but I don't think I need to provide records since I was not convicted. I'm a straight arrow guy, so I don't know if I need anything besides the letter. Any suggestions?
Welcome to FT.

From reading here on FT, everyone in your household is taken into consideration. You can try your luck in appealing.
1KChinito is offline  
Old Sep 19, 21, 2:50 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 2
Any specific suggestions?
Anachronist is offline  
Old Sep 19, 21, 10:15 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SFO
Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Posts: 5,314
Originally Posted by Anachronist View Post
Any specific suggestions?
No. Perhaps move to another address, where no one in the household uses marijuana.
1KChinito is offline  
Old Sep 19, 21, 10:57 am
  #15  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 18,086
Originally Posted by Anachronist View Post
Any specific suggestions?
You may want to take a look at this thread for ideas and suggestions:
1KChinito likes this.
TWA884 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread