Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UA

Global entry pilots facial recognition

I didn't see this posted elsewhere - I just used this at Orlando on Thursday (July 26) - was pretty quick - there is a new "Take Photo" button on the first screen and after I pressed it, it just took my photo - I didn't even scan my passport or my fingerprints, the machine just spat out the receipt... I thought it was broken but then the agent said this is the new faster G.E. 2.0. So I googled and found the article above. Any one else use these yet? It certainly is fast.
Markie likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by AirP
Global entry pilots facial recognition

I didn't see this posted elsewhere - I just used this at Orlando on Thursday (July 26) - was pretty quick - there is a new "Take Photo" button on the first screen and after I pressed it, it just took my photo - I didn't even scan my passport or my fingerprints, the machine just spat out the receipt... I thought it was broken but then the agent said this is the new faster G.E. 2.0. So I googled and found the article above. Any one else use these yet? It certainly is fast.
It is probably similar to NEXUS. Hopefully Global Entry kiosks now have adjustable camera lens similar to NEXUS. Unless you fit the desired height, otherwise it will not take a good photo. Thus unable to recognize you.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:17 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:46 am

You didn't even scan your passport? I guess it's matching faces to anyone on the flight manifests? (Presumably it's not checking against the entire GE population) What did the receipt look like?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UA
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
It is probably similar to NEXUS. Hopefully Global Entry kiosks now have adjustable camera lens similar to NEXUS. Unless you fit the desired height, otherwise it will not take a good photo. Thus unable to recognize you.
No adjustable height kiosk like Canada... same kiosk just seems like updated software.

Originally Posted by iamflyer
You didn't even scan your passport? I guess it's matching faces to anyone on the flight manifests? (Presumably it's not checking against the entire GE population) What did the receipt look like?
So my SO is saying that we had placed the passports on the reader... which is my normal default action so maybe it scanned it... At first I thought I had made a mistake but the officer standing close by said - press "Take Photo" and then next thing I know the receipt came out... so maybe it scanned the passport since I had it on the reader (that would make sense) but it was so quick!.The receipt is the same as before... same rectangular bit of paper with the picture

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 9, 2018 at 9:20 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by AirP
No adjustable height kiosk like Canada... same kiosk just seems like updated software.
Fab. So it won't work well for ~25% of the population because the camera angle will be off?

I wonder if they have done a good job on the search system. It will presumably match face against expected pax from incoming flight manifests, but I wonder if they took the extra step to link in extra passports? I regularly leave countries on a non-US passport and will, according to the US be arriving as that nationality, but then I use my US passport to actually enter the US itself. If they haven't linked the passports beforehand and it is searching off expected arrival manifests then I'm going to come up as a blank or a passport mismatch.

Which I guess means they just default back to scan passport and fingerprints as before.

Don't mind me. Thinking out loud here. I'll leave you all to it, shall I? I'll be over by the drinks trolley if anyone needs me.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:25 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Folks,

Just a gentle reminder that the Trusted Travelers forum is informational.

Members come here to share announcements of new features and services, their experiences and to offer practical advice about applying for and using the various Trusted Travelers programs.

This is not the place to debate potential technical and security issues with the Global Entry facial recognition pilot program. Those discussions, opinions and commentary belong in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Please limit your responses in this thread to information, facts, experiences, data points and practical advice.

A recent post was moved to the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum:
Thank your for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I experienced this at MCO as well back on 14 July. I was running late despite our flight arriving on time (different story for a different thread). Was the only person in the GE area and walked up to the kiosk with my passport out. A friendly CBP officer asked if I'd used the new kiosk before and I guess I gave him a confused look.

He told me to put my passport away and to remove my glasses if I wasn't wearing them in my passport photo.

The camera was indeed adjustable - I'm on the shorter side and he angled the camera down until my face was roughly in the middle of the live frame on screen, then told me to press the "Take Photo" button.

Photo taken, and maybe 2-3 seconds later a GE slip pops out - looks like every other GE slip I've ever gotten when I had nothing to declare.

Glasses on, off I went to a waiting CBP officer, got the welcome home and dashed off to my connection.

I was actually impressed with how well it worked and probable spent more time putting my passport away than the machine spent identifying me and printing my GE slip. My only question is what do you do if you actually have something to declare? I didn't have anything on this trip, but I guess you just have to verbally tell the CBP officer that takes your GE slip that you want to declare something?

IIRC the kiosk itself was much smaller than the ones I'm used to seeing at ATL for the past 6-7 years. They had much less of a "box" housing around them and were almost like CLEAR kiosks in terms of overall bulk. They did still have a passport and fingerprint scanner, I assume in case the photo doesn't work.
TWA884 and phltraveler like this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Fab. So it won't work well for ~25% of the population because the camera angle will be off?

I wonder if they have done a good job on the search system. It will presumably match face against expected pax from incoming flight manifests, but I wonder if they took the extra step to link in extra passports? I regularly leave countries on a non-US passport and will, according to the US be arriving as that nationality, but then I use my US passport to actually enter the US itself. If they haven't linked the passports beforehand and it is searching off expected arrival manifests then I'm going to come up as a blank or a passport mismatch.

Which I guess means they just default back to scan passport and fingerprints as before.

Don't mind me. Thinking out loud here. I'll leave you all to it, shall I? I'll be over by the drinks trolley if anyone needs me.
it’s even more confusing for me. I have both my UK and Canadian passport on file. Which is it going to use? As both are valid for entry.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Global Entry Kiosk procedure change?

I just came back from London into Miami yesterday and when I walked up to the GE Kiosk the first thing it had me do was take my picture. It then immediately spit out the receipt and I proceeded to the exit/agent.

I did not first insert my passport or scan my fingerprints, and it didn’t ask me any questions at the kiosk.

Is this something new? Seems odd I wasn’t asked any questions on the kiosk. Only thing the agent asked me was if I brought any food back or if I purchased anything abroad.

Markie likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:37 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I just came back from London into Miami yesterday and when I walked up to the GE Kiosk the first thing it had me do was take my picture. It then immediately spit out the receipt and I proceeded to the exit/agent.

I did not first insert my passport or scan my fingerprints, and it didn’t ask me any questions at the kiosk.It a trial of

Is this something new? Seems odd I wasn’t asked any questions on the kiosk. Only thing the agent asked me was if I brought any food back or if I purchased anything abroad.

Yes it's a trial of facial recognition - https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nationa...tional-airport
MSP_Monopoly likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
They are available in Orlando as well.

I had no interaction with any CBP agent. Maybe because I had carry-on only with just a book bag.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For all the whining about facial recognition, this is a good example of just how well it can work. Presuming that the technology holds up, once your data is in the system, you likely will not even have to walk up to a specific kiosk.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It looks like Dulles has dropped Mobile Passport and the standard kiosks for this process. Is this facial recognition for everyone now? Will it be faster for those that dont have Global Entry? I dont understand why Mobile Passport would be phased out if not...it's like they don't want to expedite the process for those without GE otherwise.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
I got this in Miami. It's cool and fast and worked perfectly in spite of a rather poor photo from the non-adjustable camera.

However I am concerned by the fact that, for international travelers, it no longer asks which visa you want to use. I need to enter with a different visa depending on what I'm doing in the US that visit. The old system offered an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.