Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry denied due to 1991 drug charge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus

I knew my husband’s Global Entry application might be problematic, but after reviewing posts here and elsewhere I thought it worth trying for. We were hoping that since it had been well over 10 years and his record was otherwise clean, it would be ignored. Wrong! His situation: he was arrested and convicted of marijuana possession in 1991 in California. Police said he had slightly over an ounce (therefore, fingerprints), but he only received a misdemeanor. After a drug education program and fine, his record was supposed to be expunged. It was noted on his GE application, since I’d read here that lying about crimes was worse than being honest at the outset.

So, 25 years later he’s been denied for controlled substance conviction. I don’t think we have much recourse, but any suggestions would be helpful. More importantly, will he now be pulled aside for questioning on entry? (He’s a US citizen). He’s not fond of flying to begin with ...
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Take a look here:
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by rlcttvlr
I knew my husband’s Global Entry application might be problematic, but after reviewing posts here and elsewhere I thought it worth trying for. We were hoping that since it had been well over 10 years and his record was otherwise clean, it would be ignored. Wrong! His situation: he was arrested and convicted of marijuana possession in 1991 in California. Police said he had slightly over an ounce (therefore, fingerprints), but he only received a misdemeanor. After a drug education program and fine, his record was supposed to be expunged. It was noted on his GE application, since I’d read here that lying about crimes was worse than being honest at the outset.

So, 25 years later he’s been denied for controlled substance conviction. I don’t think we have much recourse, but any suggestions would be helpful. More importantly, will he now be pulled aside for questioning on entry? (He’s a US citizen). He’s not fond of flying to begin with ...
Is his conviction truly expunged or still visible on the Federal rap sheet (NCIC)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.