FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Entry denied due to 1991 drug charge
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:44 pm
rlcttvlr

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Global Entry denied due to 1991 drug charge

I knew my husband’s Global Entry application might be problematic, but after reviewing posts here and elsewhere I thought it worth trying for. We were hoping that since it had been well over 10 years and his record was otherwise clean, it would be ignored. Wrong! His situation: he was arrested and convicted of marijuana possession in 1991 in California. Police said he had slightly over an ounce (therefore, fingerprints), but he only received a misdemeanor. After a drug education program and fine, his record was supposed to be expunged. It was noted on his GE application, since I’d read here that lying about crimes was worse than being honest at the outset.

So, 25 years later he’s been denied for controlled substance conviction. I don’t think we have much recourse, but any suggestions would be helpful. More importantly, will he now be pulled aside for questioning on entry? (He’s a US citizen). He’s not fond of flying to begin with ...