Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Citizens of India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
This thread in the India forum contains useful information on completing the requisite portion of the application process in India:

India joins US Global Entry programme

The following was copied verbatim from the DHS website:

Global Entry for Indian Citizens

How to Apply for Global Entry:

Citizens of India are eligible for Global Entry. Applications must be submitted through CBP’s Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) website. The non-refundable application fee for a five-year Global Entry membership is $100 and applications must be made online. Once the application is approved, a CBP officer will conduct a scheduled interview with the applicant and then make a final eligibility determination.

Application Process:
  1. Apply Online with CBP: Complete a TTP online application and pay the $100 non-refundable application fee.
  2. After completion of step ‘1’ applicants need to submit the requisite information, along with the applicable fee of ₹500, in the Passport Seva Portal, www.passportindia.gov.in for their background check in India. In addition to this, all Indian applicants must schedule an in-person interview at the respective Passport Seva Kendra/Passport Seva Laghu Kendra (PSK/PSLK) office as per their residential jurisdiction in India (as per the address furnished online). During the interview, Indian citizens will have their fingerprints and photo captured and complete other formalities. A visit to the PSK/PSLK is based on prior appointment only.
  3. If the applicant is not presently living in India, it is recommended that they apply for Global Entry prior to their next trip to India so that the appointment at the PSK/PSLK office can be completed during their visit.
  4. Schedule an Interview in the U.S.: Once your application is reviewed, you will receive a message in your TTP account instructing you to schedule an interview at one of the Global Entry Enrollment Centers. Global Entry Enrollment Centers are primarily located within the United States at ports of entry and designated CBP facilities.
  5. Interview Determines Your Eligibility: A U.S. Customs Border Protection officer will ask you questions, take your photo, and collect your fingerprints.
  6. Provide Identification: Bring your valid passport(s) and one other form of identification, such as a driver's license or ID card to the interview. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you must present your permanent resident card.

Other Benefits:

Once a citizen of India is enrolled in Global Entry, he/she will also be eligible to participate in TSA Precheck. Visit the TSA Precheck program website for more information.

Travel Requirements:

All Indian Global Entry members must have a valid passport and a valid visa. Global Entry members who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. lawful permanent residents must maintain updated visa information with CBP. If a Global Entry member obtains a new visa, or obtains a new petition for a work visa, the member must notify CBP in-person at a Global Entry enrollment center. A member must visit an enrollment center to have CBP add visa and/or update visa information. If the visa information is incomplete or not properly updated with CBP, the Global Entry kiosk may incorrectly calculate the member’s class of admission and admission date. A member must visit an enrollment center in-person to add or update visa information.

Last modified: May 17, 2018
Print Wikipost

Global Entry for Citizens of India

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by havoc26602
Hey guys,
I went to India last week and got the verification done at the PSK in Kolkata. I'll share my experience step-wise here in case it helps.

Jul-Aug
- Applied normally on GOES
- Received email immediately from India passport authorities with the GES#
- Registered at passportindia.gov.in, paid for an appointment at PSK but did not schedule it. Entered passport, pan, voter id and aadhar card details.

I realised that appointment date cannot be chosen but they were usually giving a date about 3 days away. My travel to India was scheduled for 4 days with only 1 working day in between. So, a week before that I kept checking everyday for 29th Sep availability. It came up on the 25th and I booked it. 9.45am slot was automatically assigned.

29th Sep
9.30am
- PSK was very crowded. The process was well set but waiting time at every service step (there are 4 steps) was quite a lot.
- GEP verification is basically treated as PCC (police clearance certificate) request by the authorities. So the guys at the PSK need not have any idea about GEP, they just process a PCC request.
- Took about 2.5 hours for the whole process. They were well aware that NRIs need to be verified at their address in India and did not freak out. They gave me an acknowledgement receipt at the end.

- I went to my friendly neighborhood police station immediately after the PSK and explained my case (that I was only there for 4 days). I asked him to do the verification the same day.
- The officer checked his tablet and he had already received my details, in less than an hour!!! He listed down all docs that he'd require in original to do the verification at the station:
1. applicant's passport, voter id, aadhar card, pan card (basically all id available)
2. proof of address in India and proof of residence there for over a year. Now this is tricky because they're trying to fool themselves! They clearly know I don't stay there. I gave electricity bills which were in my mum's name (same as mentioned on my pp). They wanted 2 bills, one from a year or more ago and one current. They also required my mum's id to accept this.
3. Proof of education

I was quite impressed by how they've embraced technology. The officer took a picture of me and of every document listed above using his tablet. That was it. He seemed more worried than me to get the verification done properly, because if they leave open files for too long, they have to explain themselves (things are changing!!). He took my mobile number and asked for a good time to call in case anything else is required. He said if all goes well, they should forward their ok within 2 weeks to the passport authorities. I was done by about 2 pm.

I think things were simpler for me because I have all my documents straight, no complications as my parents have been living at the same place for quite a while and my passport has the same permanent address. In case of address changes within the last 6 months, verification has to be done at each address.

Hope this helps guys and happy to answer questions.
Hey I have a question before applying. If the government of India ends up not recommending for Global entry. Is it like only our application for global entry will get rejected or will it also be like we will be selected for more screening every time we fly in to the US.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by mumbaindian
Hey I have a question before applying. If the government of India ends up not recommending for Global entry. Is it like only our application for global entry will get rejected or will it also be like we will be selected for more screening every time we fly in to the US.
Hard to tell as not even one person has either received an approval or a denial. I have been waiting for updates since July 17th
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: Southwest (A-List Preferred), Mileage Plus (Silver), SPG (Platinum), Marriott (Platinum)
Originally Posted by globetrottingindian
Well well well...
Guess I am not the only one frustrated with the program that is actually meant to make our lives easier.

My story:

Registered on day 1 when the program was released.

Realized have to go to India to get the ball rolling. So kept my application open.

Got my PSK visit and PCC done on the 16th and the 23rd of October respectively.

My status says still with the district police. So finally called my friendly neighborhood cop a few mins ago. He said, sir, I sent everything the day I texted your father - which was 23rd October.

So based on what you guys are saying looks like that dude held his side of the bargain after he got his Diwali gifts! Looks like TCS is screwing things up at PSK.

So frustrating! I was so looking forward to being in that TSA line at ORD and MDW. Guess I'll have to stick with my priority lines...

I am giving up on this but I will keep following this thread just in case there is a miracle and someone gets an approval from Indian Govt and can get their Global Entry!

Good luck guys!!!
Just emailed the entire MEA listed on their website.
Let's see if that makes any difference.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:53 am

Just emailed the entire MEA listed on their website.
Let's see if that makes any difference.
Hi,

You mentioned that your status is "case is with the district poilce".

Have never seen that status for anyone in several forums. Curious if you applied for GEP verification or a PCC ? or Am I missing something?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:40 pm

Submission of passport

During any any step of the GEP verification in India, do we have to leave the passport with the authorities? Or will they just check the passport and return it back?

im in India for only a few days and would not like to risk submitting my passport.

Originally Posted by havoc26602
Hey guys,
I went to India last week and got the verification done at the PSK in Kolkata. I'll share my experience step-wise here in case it helps.

Jul-Aug
- Applied normally on GOES
- Received email immediately from India passport authorities with the GES#
- Registered at passportindia.gov.in, paid for an appointment at PSK but did not schedule it. Entered passport, pan, voter id and aadhar card details.

I realised that appointment date cannot be chosen but they were usually giving a date about 3 days away. My travel to India was scheduled for 4 days with only 1 working day in between. So, a week before that I kept checking everyday for 29th Sep availability. It came up on the 25th and I booked it. 9.45am slot was automatically assigned.

29th Sep
9.30am
- PSK was very crowded. The process was well set but waiting time at every service step (there are 4 steps) was quite a lot.
- GEP verification is basically treated as PCC (police clearance certificate) request by the authorities. So the guys at the PSK need not have any idea about GEP, they just process a PCC request.
- Took about 2.5 hours for the whole process. They were well aware that NRIs need to be verified at their address in India and did not freak out. They gave me an acknowledgement receipt at the end.

- I went to my friendly neighborhood police station immediately after the PSK and explained my case (that I was only there for 4 days). I asked him to do the verification the same day.
- The officer checked his tablet and he had already received my details, in less than an hour!!! He listed down all docs that he'd require in original to do the verification at the station:
1. applicant's passport, voter id, aadhar card, pan card (basically all id available)
2. proof of address in India and proof of residence there for over a year. Now this is tricky because they're trying to fool themselves! They clearly know I don't stay there. I gave electricity bills which were in my mum's name (same as mentioned on my pp). They wanted 2 bills, one from a year or more ago and one current. They also required my mum's id to accept this.
3. Proof of education

I was quite impressed by how they've embraced technology. The officer took a picture of me and of every document listed above using his tablet. That was it. He seemed more worried than me to get the verification done properly, because if they leave open files for too long, they have to explain themselves (things are changing!!). He took my mobile number and asked for a good time to call in case anything else is required. He said if all goes well, they should forward their ok within 2 weeks to the passport authorities. I was done by about 2 pm.

I think things were simpler for me because I have all my documents straight, no complications as my parents have been living at the same place for quite a while and my passport has the same permanent address. In case of address changes within the last 6 months, verification has to be done at each address.

Hope this helps guys and happy to answer questions.
s
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Gopats2016
During any any step of the GEP verification in India, do we have to leave the passport with the authorities? Or will they just check the passport and return it back?

im in India for only a few days and would not like to risk submitting my passport.

s
you don't have to submit your passport....
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: Southwest (A-List Preferred), Mileage Plus (Silver), SPG (Platinum), Marriott (Platinum)
Originally Posted by BWayne
Hi,

You mentioned that your status is "case is with the district poilce".

Have never seen that status for anyone in several forums. Curious if you applied for GEP verification or a PCC ? or Am I missing something?
Per my chat with the passport officer at the PSK, PCC is the first step in GEP. Once that is done the file goes to the ministry of external affairs for final clearance.
Please let me know if I am missing something.

Also, I got the following text update yesterday:
"Your passport verification is complete. Contact your passport office. Courtesy: Police Computer Wing"
Has anybody else had a similar experience?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist | IHG Platinum | HH Gold | MB Gold
My experience:

1. Online Registration

Registered online for Background Verification for GEP

2. PSK Appointment

Visited Vijayawada PSK for an afternoon appointment. Mostly everyone is knowledgable of GEP. PSK is run by employees of TCS + Central Government. The place is not crowded. Took around 45 mins for everything.

a. Entrance - Gatekeeper checks for the date
b. Lobby - Checks for documents and issues a token. The person at this counter asked for Education certificates and I told him they are not required for this (I don't carry any edu certs. All of them were in US). He also asked for new xerox copy of Aadhar and Passport as the one I got will not scan in their machine. Luckily they have one in the lobby which charged Re. 1 per copy and oh, they don't have change (!!). So make sure you carry dark and clear xerox copies. I was given a token.
c. counter A - scanned the copies
d. counter B - verified
e. counter C - granted the request for PCC
f. Gave a receipt kind of document.

3. Police Clearance

Visited my unfriendly local PS in Guntur to find information, who are so full of themselves and busy with their work. Nothing useful happened. So don't do this.

Next day morning Special Branch police not associated with local PS who does this verifications visited home by 9 am. I do not have habit of entering house number since its an apartment and popular in the area. My passport and Aadhar have house number in them. He made a fuss of it. Asked for a xerox copy of passport - not sure why needs it. Finally when leaving my father offered Rs. 300 gift to him and apparently he usually takes only Rs. 1000 gift. He was unhappy and did not want any. I tried to give him total Rs. 500 for which he mentioned he would let the application go through even if I did not give but eventually accepted and mentioned since my address is inconsistent, he is not sure of what will happen.

I'm not against giving small money to these inspection people because my mother also works in a different state government department for which she has to go for inspections. The government does not give them any incentive to travel to different villages and areas. They travel in buses and car with their own money (which sounds ridiculous). I guess they will re-coupe it this way. Also, I don't want to ruin all the time and money spent on this so far. If not for my father, I would have readily gifted Rs. 1000 to let this go through, especially because I was in hometown for 3 days and spent half day on visiting PSK in this short time. Also Rs. 500 for PSK application + Rs. 1300 for cab to visit PSK + $100 for GEP application (paid by Amex Platinum).

Just hoping the application will slide through this step or I may give up after that.

Last edited by pichalite; Nov 22, 2017 at 11:05 pm
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:34 pm

We have India verification at passport office in Mumbai.
What to know what all to carry.
Looks like
- Aadhar card
- Passport
And their copies.
Would carry Education cert copies (not carrying originals) and Utility bills if any on name of parents (But not sure if needed, since Adhar card has india address)
Any thing else guys?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 9:33 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Folks,

We realize that some of you posting in this thread are new to FlyerTalk. Welcome!

The Trusted Travelers forum is an informational forum.

Members come here in search of practical advice to help them apply for and/or use the various Trusted Travelers programs with minimum hassles and maximum benefits. Please limit your contributions here to information, i.e., facts, experiences and data points.

This is not the place to opine, comment or argue about Indian bureaucracy, red tape, corruption, bakshish, etc.

If you wish the debate or remark about any aspects of these programs you are welcome to do so in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Posts have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:03 pm

Per my chat with the passport officer at the PSK, PCC is the first step in GEP. Once that is done the file goes to the ministry of external affairs for final clearance.
Please let me know if I am missing something.

Also, I got the following text update yesterday:
"Your passport verification is complete. Contact your passport office. Courtesy: Police Computer Wing"
Has anybody else had a similar experience?
I filed a grievance and this is what they sent me:
"Local Police enquiry is completed but Clearance Requests sent to MHA (through Interface) and MoF (through Email), is still awaited.
Hope we have been able to address your concern with satisfaction.
Thanking you and assuring you of our best services at all times."

Basically, application stuck in bureaucracy!

I will keep you guys posted!
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:13 pm

Very useful discussion. Thanks a lot to everyone here.
I had a question on Documents required for PCC verification. I dont have an Aadhar as of now and plan to get it done next year when I travel to India.
Is it a must to have Aadhar card for this? I have all other forms of identification, Passport, PAN card, Voters ID, DL.
Appreciate your response.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 2:59 pm

Approval

I have some good news guys. Today i received conditional approval for my global entry application. Here is my timeline.
1) Completed global entry application on July 17th.
2)India Passport office appointment on 20th. And PCC completed on 21st July.
3) Waited for 4 months
4) on 11/29/2017 received email with conditional approval.
5) No appointments available in San Francisco for next 3 months. I am planning to do a walk in.
seawolf and raamsid like this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Reddy1985
I have some good news guys. Today i received conditional approval for my global entry application. Here is my timeline.
3) Waited for 4 months
5) No appointments available in San Francisco for next 3 months. I am planning to do a walk in.
Congratulations!!!
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Reddy1985
3) Waited for 4 months
congratulations....where did you get the email from????i was under the impression that no email is sent for conditional approval....

still waiting on my late june application....

Last edited by Keyser; Dec 1, 2017 at 12:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.