Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

How does Global Entry work for You?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2017, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
US Airports

Atlanta (ATL)

E concourse/transfer passengers
Global Entry kiosks are on the left wall as you enter the immigration area (the queues for the non-GE are to the right). After completing with the kiosk (facial recognition, no reset), continue to the far side of the room and turn right for the GE exit booths. Your face will be matched visually by the agent (against a line up of those recently through the kiosks) and you proceed to baggage claim. If you have no problems with your connecting flight (and no reason to open the bags) move them over to the drop off belt. There are two queues at security. Sometimes one is set up as TSA Precheck, sometimes they are both regular. Amusingly, when they have a Precheck line, there's usually nobody in the other one.

Boston (BOS)

All passengers follow a first hallway, then a bend, entering a second hallway; at that point you see the non-GE situation to your left through the glass. GE kiosks are at the far end to the left, with one (or two) immigration agents checking for slips with an X, then downstairs to baggage claim. GE customs exit, easy to miss, at far end (left side as you face luggage belts).

Charlotte (CLT)

No MPC. Customs exit has two booths. There is a dedicated GE customs lane with signage on the left. May have to walk past (and get dirty looks) general customs queue to see GE signage.

Chicago (ORD)

The kiosks are immediately apparent as you come down to the immigration/customs area, although sometimes long lines for "regular" immigration can slow access to the kiosks. After baggage claim there is a single exit to transfer/arrivals, with a specific desk for GE customers sometimes staffed.

Denver (DEN)
After the long walk from your gate, signs for global entry point you straight down the escalator (non-GE get forms checked and may queue). Kiosks to right using 2.0. If an X or to declare a sign points to agent. Otherwise proceed to baggage reclaim area. Give slip to agent at exit and proceed to airport main entrance.

Houston (IAH):

There is a single, roped off separate area on southern (terminal E) end of the arrivals hall with kiosks as you enter the hall, and an additional bank of kiosks near officers at a desk that check (and keep) GE receipts as one is entering the central immigration area. Proceed to the bag claim escalator past agents that may pull people for further questioning. After claiming bags downstairs, proceed directly to recheck. Agents in the area may pull you aside for bag inspection. There is no GE or standard exit queue.

Los Angeles (LAX):
International arrivals come into the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). After the walk to escalators, GE lines are well marked. LAX uses GE 2.0 facial recognition - just smile at the camera and it will tell you what to do next. You'll then go past an agent with whatever interaction they deem necessary. On to baggage claim and either taxis or a connecting flight.

Miami (MIA):

The kiosks are in the centre of the hall, between US and Tourists. Turn left when you have cleared and down the stairs/escalator to Customs. Turn left at the bottom and your GE Customs line is there.

New York (JFK):

T8
After receiving your "non-X" GE slip, you proceed to baggage area (if you have any), then head for the customs agent. There is a sign on a stand: "GLOBAL ENTRY EXIT", this lets you bypass any "others" waiting to see an agent.; There is a CPB agent who checks your pp (after collecting your slip). You then go to collect your luggage (if you have any), unless you are singled out for extra scrutiny, you are free to leave.
Once you are in baggage collection area, it seems all pax have "equal status" since GE no longer have their slips. [GE pax would still have their GE cards to show if needed.]

T7
Upon arrival in the Immigration area, the kiosks are on the back wall, facing the front of the inspectors booths. Turn left and you may have to walk right across the area to get to them. There is a special exit for Customs.

Philadelphia (PHL):

Global Entry kiosks are immediately on the right if arriving from an A-East gate (A2-A13). After successful facial recognition take your receipt to the Global Entry cubicle next to the kiosks. Hold up your receipt as your pass the GE officer in the cubicle and tell them if you have anything to declare. After claiming checked luggage, exit the FIS through the GE customs line, and give the officer your receipt.

San Francisco (SFO):

International arrivals G concourse - United/*A
Corridor from planes with floor and ceiling markings for different categories (GE, MPC, US, Foreign) that ultimately end up in lanes demarcated with tensa-barriers. GE is to the far left, where the kiosks are along the wall. Use kiosk, wait for agent, who will ask any questions, then pickup any bags and head past all carousels. Connecting flights to left; exit to right.

Seattle
Just before taking the escalator to the baggage hall the GE kiosks are on the right. New software so no receipts. After baggage collection join queue to the left for GE passengers. Agent asks questions as well as checks you for the GE kiosk record.

Washington (IAD):

Main Terminal
The kiosks are around the corner to the far right after you come down the escalator from the moon rover, behind a metal swinging gate marked for crew and GE. Starting Spring 2017 After using the kiosk, you'll enter a lane to for an agent to review your slip and to make any declarations (food, etc.), and then you proceed out a central door to the baggage claim area. There is no further check after this point. Post-2021: Using GE 2.0 and agents tend to take more time studying passport; door to baggage area a bit closer to GE checkpoint. Spring 2023: New facial scanners in place that are touchless - just look at screen, it images face, and directs you (in most cases) to proceed to the line. CBP agent confirms identity and checks passport, and asks if anything to declare.

Midfield (transfers) terminal (UA-UA only; limited hours)
The GE terminals are against the wall, on the left, immediately that you enter the arrivals immigration area. Do not join the barricaded area as you have gone too far. After you have your receipt you walk down the back of the inspectors booths to Customs. Note: No TSAPre available here.

Foreign Preclearance Airports

Montreal (YUL)

(All US bound flights)After CATSA security, the GE machines will be in your left. Facial recognition and no receipts will be issued just instructions to proceed to US or GE officer.

Vancouver (YVR)

(Most daytime US-bound flights. Not available for late-evening / night US-bound flights) GE/Nexus get expedited access to security, although it takes a bit of talking to convince the line guard to grant access because there is no reason to carry the GE card for air travel. Post security, the GE machines are in a dedicated area off to the left. After getting the receipt, you hand your receipt, passport and boarding pass to an available agent. Agent scans your boarding pass and if you have checked bags, a picture of your bag is displayed to the officer. American Citizens are waved past with ease. Non-American citizens are required to answer the standard "Where are you going / what are you doing" questions that apply to non-American citizen travellers. Non-American business travelers using GE at YVR can expect all the standard probing immigration-related questions regarding the nature of your business in the USA.

Dublin (DUB)

Preclearance:
After security, find 3 or 4 GE kiosks located on the left hand side. After getting the receipt, walk up to the CBP agent on the far left (from the passengers' point of view). Need to stop at CBP agent's desk and hand over passport + receipt + boarding pass. The BP is scanned to bring up picture(s) of bag(s) (in case bags were checked).
Print Wikipost

How does Global Entry work for You?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by reclusive46
The system does match up multiple passports. A cbp officer showed me a time when I entered on a UK passport and left on a Canadian passport. I'm guessing as long as name and dob match it's fine.
It's probably much simpler than that: ticket number matching would be enough to cover 99% of travellers (i.e. if you fly a return ticket in/out of the country). And once they've matched two passports in the system once, it can easily remember them for future travel.

I imagine issues are more likely if you enter on one passport on a 1-way ticket, and exit on a different passport on a 1-way ticket (without CBP having seen either of those passports before), does anyone have experiences with that scenario?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Used it for the first time today (LAX). Lots of kiosks available, but another fellow and I stood there waiting until the CBP guy told us the passport goes under the tabs! Immigration guy was pleased to see my passport in my shirt pocket, so I'll be sure to have it out when showing the slip in future. I had forgotten about dedicated GE customs lane, but fortunately a worker saw my slip and directed me away from the regular line.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
How does GE work at your airport?

I typically fly into LAS, at LAS you have to wait until called forward, get the GE slip inspected, get a couple of questions then let through.

Last time I was there waiting, a chap behind me also GE was getting jumpy saying what's the point in GE if we have to stand here waiting. I didn't really think much of it because it's always like that when I go there.

Recently I've been through PHL a couple of times, and there was no one there. Literally no one. Just swiped through GE and wandered off. No TSA, nobody to even show the slip to until customs. I actually stood around a bit confused and had to watch a few other people just to be sure.

So, how is it where you are? Ticket and walk straight through? Ticket and get inspected? or no one at all?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
95% of the time it has been walk up to GE Kiosk, with a few times there being someone asking if we're GE, where we'd complete our questions to get the slip and then walk to get baggage and after hand in slip to CBP officer to leave.

There are usually a few CBP officers overlooking the GE Kiosks to make sure people were GE and getting the slip but never had to wait and answer questions.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by aceman
I typically fly into LAS, at LAS you have to wait until called forward, get the GE slip inspected, get a couple of questions then let through.
In my experience, that's how it's also done in Miami; however, not at other airports where I've used the Global Entry kiosks including LAX, JFK, CLT and YYZ.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I've gone through at ATL, IAH, IAD, ORD, SFO, LAX, EWR, SEA, YVR, YYZ and in most cases I've found the agent doesn't ask any questions, but it can happen. The questions haven't taken long for me and I've not had to wait in any significant lines to get through.

Most recently I came in at ATL and I've learned my lesson there.. I WILL NOT ever use the transfer area where you connect to other flights..similar to my strategy at IAD's midfield terminal. There is no PreCheck in those areas.. it's better to exit and then re-enter through the regular checkpoints. I don't know why the TSA can't put Pre in those very busy transfer checkpoints.

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Apr 24, 2017 at 10:16 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:58 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
When I land at JFK (intl flt) (normally AA T8), they play a "CBP video clip" showing the difference between APC and GE entry, the big difference is that GE people do NOT have to present themselves (normally) to a CBP agent for further processing.
Since my picture only shows the top of my head, I show the CBP agent my pp picture--but rarely do they ask me any questions--though they should know its ME from just my head top.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:05 pm

Yesterday at DTW we did the kiosk, waited in a short line, got a few questions and then were on our way to get our checked bags (if we had any) and leave with no further checks.

Everywhere else I've flown into (JFK/BOS/SEA) it's been:
1. Get ticket from GE kiosk, show to office to prove you got the ticket (but not real checks)
2. Wait and get your checked bags
3. Get into special GE line and then show ticket to agent with few questions.

To me, yesterday was a little strange to get questioned before getting checked luggage.. I always assumed they would profile you based on how much and what type of luggage you had. For example, if you had three large suitcases with you and selected you were bringing in nothing of value, they may want to take a look.

Also I agree with the user that recommended to skip the connection desk security line and go back in/out through pre-check.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
LAX we had to hand the slip to the BPC officer at the podium after the kiosk. Same with Newark. PHL the GE kiosks were down and we were processed the "old fashioned way" albeit there was a line for those purporting to hold GE--although I don't think they really had any way of knowing and I'm sure a few slipped through the cracks.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
BOS - Collect bags, hand to CBP officer at podium, exit.
JFK T5i - Collect bags, wait in line, get yelled at for waiting if you have nothing to declare and don't need help, leave, and then someone may or may not emerge from a side door before you exit to collect your slip.

Last edited by diburning; Apr 24, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:31 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
At IAD I go to the kiosk, press the buttons, get the slip, and walk into baggage claim without ever stopping to show my slip to anyone at a desk. I never stop; this started probably sometime in early 2016 or so(?). That said, even prior to that I did show my slip and was always waved through (no reading the slip, no questions, etc.) even when the agent was processing a "regular" returning US citizen.

Next, there's a GE customs line, usually short, sometimes not, always moves very fast.

My record jetway-to-curb is <10 minutes flying LH F with checked bags in 2014 - the LH IAD station manager is very serious about getting F bags delivered immediately, and they really do come through. Obviously, without GE that sub-10 minutes would have been impossible.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:33 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
It entirely depends for me. I've been through JFK, BOS, IAD, ORD, IAH, SFO, YYC, and YEG.

I got asked many questions at BOS and YEG, but at all the others it's usually been very quick. Just a cursory check of the slip before luggage claim and then handing it over after that with a "Welcome back" from the CBP agent.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
LAX Tom Bradley has been particularly bad lately in having this island podium stationed blocking the exit from the GE kiosks and having an agent asking the same stupid questions as a regular immigration booth. I noticed a slight improvement on the last trip where the guy was grilling someone and then just asked people to hold up their slips and let them through, even welcoming or home (US citizen).

Also at LAX TBIT, the customs agents tend to ask questions of arriving GE passengers every single time.

YYZ now has the checked baggage cameras, so they usually ask if you have checked baggage and then let you through without any further if you don't. If you do, they scan the BP and usually ask stuff.

SAN has a small customs area, especially when clearing a full BA 747, but they are efficient and generally leave GE people alone.

MIA has that one stop customs and immigration thing now, so the guy at the desk may ask a couple questions, but then takes the receipt and you are done.

YVR is always obnoxious and people are treated like criminals by the immigration booth agent.

Very few of these "quirks"in other places. ORD sometimes sees customs questions and I've had to put my stuff through a machine once.

SFO seems to be the worst for ag checks
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by N1120A
LAX Tom Bradley has been particularly bad lately in having this island podium stationed blocking the exit from the GE kiosks and having an agent asking the same stupid questions as a regular immigration booth. I noticed a slight improvement on the last trip where the guy was grilling someone and then just asked people to hold up their slips and let them through, even welcoming or home (US citizen).

Also at LAX TBIT, the customs agents tend to ask questions of arriving GE passengers every single time.

YYZ now has the checked baggage cameras, so they usually ask if you have checked baggage and then let you through without any further if you don't. If you do, they scan the BP and usually ask stuff.

SAN has a small customs area, especially when clearing a full BA 747, but they are efficient and generally leave GE people alone.

MIA has that one stop customs and immigration thing now, so the guy at the desk may ask a couple questions, but then takes the receipt and you are done.

YVR is always obnoxious and people are treated like criminals by the immigration booth agent.

Very few of these "quirks"in other places. ORD sometimes sees customs questions and I've had to put my stuff through a machine once.

SFO seems to be the worst for ag checks
Yet, nearly all of my experiences with these airports are the opposite of yours. LAX is incredibly quick for me, no questions, almost an annoyance that they couldn't just wave me through. This over 2 or 3 passages through LAX TBIT last year. ORD is nasty to me. YVR I've gotten asked one question and no questions in two visits (will be passing through again next month so this is subject to update). Perhaps it is just the individual agent that day, with some larger sinusoidal ups and downs on issues depending on whatever point of emphasis has been brought to the attention of the individual airport's CBP head admin/agent.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I've gone through at ATL, IAH, IAD, ORD, SFO, LAX, EWR, SEA, YVR, YYZ and in most cases I've found the agent doesn't ask any questions, but it can happen. The questions haven't taken long for me and I've not had to wait in any significant lines to get through.
Originally Posted by N1120A

YYZ, even since the renovations, I never talk to anyone. I hand the slip to someone as I leave the area (to the old security area), but there's no talking.

But I agree about YVR. A quick entry is "where are you going, what do you do for work, what company do you work for". YUL has been similar.

Some airports are set up so that there is simply no one to talk to.

SFO actually worked well for me. "Welcome home," he said, as this Canadian entered the country. But I still had to "talk" to him (or rather, listen to him say two words).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.