Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

How does Global Entry work for You?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2017, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
US Airports

Atlanta (ATL)

E concourse/transfer passengers
Global Entry kiosks are on the left wall as you enter the immigration area (the queues for the non-GE are to the right). After completing with the kiosk (facial recognition, no reset), continue to the far side of the room and turn right for the GE exit booths. Your face will be matched visually by the agent (against a line up of those recently through the kiosks) and you proceed to baggage claim. If you have no problems with your connecting flight (and no reason to open the bags) move them over to the drop off belt. There are two queues at security. Sometimes one is set up as TSA Precheck, sometimes they are both regular. Amusingly, when they have a Precheck line, there's usually nobody in the other one.

Boston (BOS)

All passengers follow a first hallway, then a bend, entering a second hallway; at that point you see the non-GE situation to your left through the glass. GE kiosks are at the far end to the left, with one (or two) immigration agents checking for slips with an X, then downstairs to baggage claim. GE customs exit, easy to miss, at far end (left side as you face luggage belts).

Charlotte (CLT)

No MPC. Customs exit has two booths. There is a dedicated GE customs lane with signage on the left. May have to walk past (and get dirty looks) general customs queue to see GE signage.

Chicago (ORD)

The kiosks are immediately apparent as you come down to the immigration/customs area, although sometimes long lines for "regular" immigration can slow access to the kiosks. After baggage claim there is a single exit to transfer/arrivals, with a specific desk for GE customers sometimes staffed.

Denver (DEN)
After the long walk from your gate, signs for global entry point you straight down the escalator (non-GE get forms checked and may queue). Kiosks to right using 2.0. If an X or to declare a sign points to agent. Otherwise proceed to baggage reclaim area. Give slip to agent at exit and proceed to airport main entrance.

Houston (IAH):

There is a single, roped off separate area on southern (terminal E) end of the arrivals hall with kiosks as you enter the hall, and an additional bank of kiosks near officers at a desk that check (and keep) GE receipts as one is entering the central immigration area. Proceed to the bag claim escalator past agents that may pull people for further questioning. After claiming bags downstairs, proceed directly to recheck. Agents in the area may pull you aside for bag inspection. There is no GE or standard exit queue.

Los Angeles (LAX):
International arrivals come into the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). After the walk to escalators, GE lines are well marked. LAX uses GE 2.0 facial recognition - just smile at the camera and it will tell you what to do next. You'll then go past an agent with whatever interaction they deem necessary. On to baggage claim and either taxis or a connecting flight.

Miami (MIA):

The kiosks are in the centre of the hall, between US and Tourists. Turn left when you have cleared and down the stairs/escalator to Customs. Turn left at the bottom and your GE Customs line is there.

New York (JFK):

T8
After receiving your "non-X" GE slip, you proceed to baggage area (if you have any), then head for the customs agent. There is a sign on a stand: "GLOBAL ENTRY EXIT", this lets you bypass any "others" waiting to see an agent.; There is a CPB agent who checks your pp (after collecting your slip). You then go to collect your luggage (if you have any), unless you are singled out for extra scrutiny, you are free to leave.
Once you are in baggage collection area, it seems all pax have "equal status" since GE no longer have their slips. [GE pax would still have their GE cards to show if needed.]

T7
Upon arrival in the Immigration area, the kiosks are on the back wall, facing the front of the inspectors booths. Turn left and you may have to walk right across the area to get to them. There is a special exit for Customs.

Philadelphia (PHL):

Global Entry kiosks are immediately on the right if arriving from an A-East gate (A2-A13). After successful facial recognition take your receipt to the Global Entry cubicle next to the kiosks. Hold up your receipt as your pass the GE officer in the cubicle and tell them if you have anything to declare. After claiming checked luggage, exit the FIS through the GE customs line, and give the officer your receipt.

San Francisco (SFO):

International arrivals G concourse - United/*A
Corridor from planes with floor and ceiling markings for different categories (GE, MPC, US, Foreign) that ultimately end up in lanes demarcated with tensa-barriers. GE is to the far left, where the kiosks are along the wall. Use kiosk, wait for agent, who will ask any questions, then pickup any bags and head past all carousels. Connecting flights to left; exit to right.

Seattle
Just before taking the escalator to the baggage hall the GE kiosks are on the right. New software so no receipts. After baggage collection join queue to the left for GE passengers. Agent asks questions as well as checks you for the GE kiosk record.

Washington (IAD):

Main Terminal
The kiosks are around the corner to the far right after you come down the escalator from the moon rover, behind a metal swinging gate marked for crew and GE. Starting Spring 2017 After using the kiosk, you'll enter a lane to for an agent to review your slip and to make any declarations (food, etc.), and then you proceed out a central door to the baggage claim area. There is no further check after this point. Post-2021: Using GE 2.0 and agents tend to take more time studying passport; door to baggage area a bit closer to GE checkpoint. Spring 2023: New facial scanners in place that are touchless - just look at screen, it images face, and directs you (in most cases) to proceed to the line. CBP agent confirms identity and checks passport, and asks if anything to declare.

Midfield (transfers) terminal (UA-UA only; limited hours)
The GE terminals are against the wall, on the left, immediately that you enter the arrivals immigration area. Do not join the barricaded area as you have gone too far. After you have your receipt you walk down the back of the inspectors booths to Customs. Note: No TSAPre available here.

Foreign Preclearance Airports

Montreal (YUL)

(All US bound flights)After CATSA security, the GE machines will be in your left. Facial recognition and no receipts will be issued just instructions to proceed to US or GE officer.

Vancouver (YVR)

(Most daytime US-bound flights. Not available for late-evening / night US-bound flights) GE/Nexus get expedited access to security, although it takes a bit of talking to convince the line guard to grant access because there is no reason to carry the GE card for air travel. Post security, the GE machines are in a dedicated area off to the left. After getting the receipt, you hand your receipt, passport and boarding pass to an available agent. Agent scans your boarding pass and if you have checked bags, a picture of your bag is displayed to the officer. American Citizens are waved past with ease. Non-American citizens are required to answer the standard "Where are you going / what are you doing" questions that apply to non-American citizen travellers. Non-American business travelers using GE at YVR can expect all the standard probing immigration-related questions regarding the nature of your business in the USA.

Dublin (DUB)

Preclearance:
After security, find 3 or 4 GE kiosks located on the left hand side. After getting the receipt, walk up to the CBP agent on the far left (from the passengers' point of view). Need to stop at CBP agent's desk and hand over passport + receipt + boarding pass. The BP is scanned to bring up picture(s) of bag(s) (in case bags were checked).
Print Wikipost

How does Global Entry work for You?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:33 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
So just to clarify (I just got GE and am about to use if for the first time), if I get an X on the receipt I need to go see the immigration officer, if I get O on the receipt I need to collect my checked bags and go see the customs officer, who might send me to ag inspection or might just ask what I have and wave me along. If I get nothing on the receipt I collect my bags and show the customs guy my receipt who then lets me through.

Does this sound right?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by swiftaw
So just to clarify (I just got GE and am about to use if for the first time), if I get an X on the receipt I need to go see the immigration officer, if I get O on the receipt I need to collect my checked bags and go see the customs officer, who might send me to ag inspection or might just ask what I have and wave me along. If I get nothing on the receipt I collect my bags and show the customs guy my receipt who then lets me through.

Does this sound right?
Yes, looks about right. It seems that at some airports a large proportion of (or all?) people with an O are being sent into a full ag inspection, at others they just ask about the food and let you go for obviously acceptable items. (I've never ended up with an O, since I get perma-X'd thanks to my Visa - I'm just going by what other FT members have reported.)
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:37 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
GE Experience at JFK T8(AA) 08/30/16 1:30PM EDT

Super ^ for being in GE:
Several flights had arrived in close proximity of each other, there were big lines for PP inspection (even though JFK does have APC). But the customs hall was a total "mess", lots of pax waiting for luggage to come off the plane, big lines for those pax who had retrieved there luggage waiting to see a CBP agent.
[I've never seen the customs hall this crowded before.]
GE got me out in less than 5 minutes (would have been less, but I "normally" have to do a few tries with my fingerprints), AND GE has a special "by-pass" lane for customs.^^^
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:15 am

What a time-saver this turned out to be

Came into IAD yesterday from London....our first trip since our Global Entry approval. While the immigration lines were fairly short, there must have been over 150 people in line for customs approval, and the line was barely moving. The dedicated GE line had maybe 10 people in front of us, and moved very quickly. well worth the cost and effort to sign up for this program.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Yeah it's amazing.. I did it for the first time this week too and when I was on my connecting flight I heard other brits on board complaining of the 1 hour wait.... I didn't want to tell them I was only seconds and spent the rest of the time in the AC
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: Global Entry
My very long experience with Sentri & Global Entry

Good day folks,

I'm a long time reader, I usually land here when I search online for information relating to my circumstances. Unfortunately I can't find a lot of people with my profile that go through this so I decided to make a long post with uncommon situations someone else might encounter so they can get a point of reference.

I am a Mexican citizen that used to live in a border town and that got approved for Sentri back in the early 2000s. It was rather difficult and I believe back then you had to renew it every 2 years instead of 5 so I went through a few renewals and changes.

When they announced Global Entry for Sentri members I was a frequent flyer to and from the US and Asian countries so I decided to apply at the same time I renewed Sentri.

FYI If you're Mexican and want to have Global Entry + Sentri, just apply for Global Entry. I made two applications and payments back in 2007 and was told I only needed GE and offered a refund on the Sentri fee (which I didn't claim but it was nice of them)

Now, on that occasion I was actually living in a third country doing a Masters degree, I was unemployed and I thought I'd be denied but I wasn't, they just saw my school papers and it was done.

Since then I renewed my Global entry back in 2012 while on holiday in the US and other than the officers being surprised that GE was available to Mexicans I had no issues. Except with the card...

My US-based relatives had recently moved and the US Postal Service kept bouncing back my GE card, which I needed because when I visited home in the Mexican border I wanted to drive to the US using Sentri. So the GE people got in touch through email and they kept sending cards until my family managed to get my card.

Another thing that happened during that period was that my US visa expired, so I had to renew it (yet in another third country because I was based there), I also had to then get a new passport because my old one ran out of space. During both changes (new visa, new passport) I kept using GE kiosks when flying into the US without issues. Mind you, the old passport was valid, it just had no room for another stamp. I just made a couple of trips to GE offices eventually and told them I wanted to update my visa/passport information and they did it quickly.

After switching from Sentri to GE my vehicle was still registered in the system and to this day I can use it and drive across on the sentri lanes.

Now, my next renewal was up next year. I logged on early and submitted a renewal application. Since my last renewal I became a citizen of a VWP country AND I changed my name. So my two passports have different names. When I applied for GE renewal, I added my second passport information and I was approved within a week.

Since my latest approval notification, I have moved to yet another country (I know...) and I was unable to change my current address details on the existing application. I scheduled an interview and just had it last month. The officer just asked if all my information was still accurate to which I said no, because now I live in Europe. She asked for proof of address, I showed a council tax bill and she updated the address in the system, got my fingerprints and that was all. She asked if I was unemployed and I said it was right, I just moved here. I asked if she needed to see my travel documents and she said no, that's right, I didn't even have to show any of my 3 current passports or visas. I was out of the office in less than 5 minutes.

Another thing that I always wondered, being Mexican and requiring a visa, was that I usually enter the US on my Mexican passport, to use Global Entry, but when I leave, airlines only scan my European passport because the system asks them to input the details of the travel document I'll use upon arrival in Europe.

I used to worry because I am basically entering the US with GE as a Mexican under one name and leave as European with another name. Turns out, it doesn't matter, their system is robust enough to detect it's the same person and I haven't had issues (even before I added my second nationality to GE)

I hope this information helps other people, specially the few Mexicans that want to get the benefits from GE. Feel free to ask me anything, my new card just arrived and with it I'll have almost 20 years of experience using frequent traveler programs in the US.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Thanks for taking the time to share so much good information!

Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
That's one hell of a first post. Quite nice to see a positive experience from a foreign national.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Cool post. If it were me I would travel to/from the USA on my EU w/ESTA passport. Unless there is a very specific reason, i.e. would otherwise need visa. Then use my Mexican passport only when entering Mexico.

I assume you are not going to renew your US Visa in your Mexican passport anyway, though I know it may not expire soon.

Keep it simple you may have to explain it to someone not as smart as you someday.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 5:21 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by Dan6681
Cool post. If it were me I would travel to/from the USA on my EU w/ESTA passport. Unless there is a very specific reason, i.e. would otherwise need visa. Then use my Mexican passport only when entering Mexico.

I assume you are not going to renew your US Visa in your Mexican passport anyway, though I know it may not expire soon.

Keep it simple you may have to explain it to someone not as smart as you someday.
I am renewing my US visa on the Mexican passport to keep using GE and Sentri. I could apply to use just GE with my European passport but airports are not as big of a deal as the border crossing on my car when I visit my family. It's very inconvenient when one of us has to get off the car and go across on foot which can take hours, if we all have the GE card then we go on the Sentri lane.

I guess TLDR would be:

As a Mexican citizen:

1. You only need to apply for GE to gain the Sentri benefits (a card will be issued to you), don't bother applying for both.

2. Changing visas/passports is just as simple as it is for everyone: find a centre that will take walk-ins and update your info. If your drivers licence expires and you're using Sentri, you might be stopped every now and then so they can check it until you update it in their system.

3. Acquiring another citizenship and/or changing your name is not a big deal, just declare all travel documents.

4. For dual citizens: entering the country through GE kiosk with GE passport and checking in with the airline to leave using another passport won't flag you for anything, even if both passports have different names.

5. Mexican citizens with GE can also get TSA Precheck status. In my case I've been with United MileagePlus for 12 years.

6. Being unemployed does not disqualify you from the program, depending on the office and their staff they might ask more questions but I've done two renewals as unemployed and didn't have issues.

I'm sure I left something out but those were the things nobody could answer until I dared to find out by putting myself in those situations lol
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Originally Posted by niv007
4. For dual citizens: entering the country through GE kiosk with GE passport and checking in with the airline to leave using another passport won't flag you for anything, even if both passports have different names.
This is the one that makes me particularly nervous. I think you're seeing a lack of sophistication here not integration. I would be interested to see if you have any documentation from the US Gov that specifically talks about this.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by niv007
I would be careful of this as well. It could be that CBP did match up your entry with your exits or it could also be that haven't been able to and it hasn't caught up with you yet.

I suppose you can say that the subsequent entries into US on the Mexican passport proves you departed US but it does't proof if you overstayed visa conditions under certain circumstances.

Let's say your US visa allows you max stay of 6 months. You enter US with GE in January, departed to Europe in April and returned to US in December. There's a possibly CBP does not know you left for Europe and all they know is in the 11/12 month period, you enter US twice and you potentially overstayed.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dan6681
This is the one that makes me particularly nervous. I think you're seeing a lack of sophistication here not integration. I would be interested to see if you have any documentation from the US Gov that specifically talks about this.
Well, I believe their systems are quite robust because of this:

Mexicans that enter the US with a visa get an electronic I-94 record that can be viewed online.

Whenever I enter with my Mexican passport using GE kiosk I check their page. I have checked-in for flights out of the US with the European passport (with a different name, again) and when I go back to check my travel history on their website, I can see my departure being registered on my I-94 without any issues on the exact day I left.

A few years ago I had an issue when they made the transition from paper based i-94 to electronic ones, but it was a mistake on their side and they apologised after checking my travel record for 30 minutes.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
I would be careful of this as well. It could be that CBP did match up your entry with your exits or it could also be that haven't been able to and it hasn't caught up with you yet.

I suppose you can say that the subsequent entries into US on the Mexican passport proves you departed US but it does't proof if you overstayed visa conditions under certain circumstances.

Let's say your US visa allows you max stay of 6 months. You enter US with GE in January, departed to Europe in April and returned to US in December. There's a possibly CBP does not know you left for Europe and all they know is in the 11/12 month period, you enter US twice and you potentially overstayed.
Like I mentioned above, it was easy for me to check if they're registering my travel history accurately because to the electronic I-94 website.

I won't deny I thought exactly as you did above, specially because airlines force you to check in and only scan the passport you'll use at the destination (some European countries ask that you check in with your Euro passport) so I was afraid my departure under the Mexican passport wouldn't be recorded.

I can confirm now that my travel history to/from USA for the last few years has been accurate on their website even when I enter with one passport/visa in my birth name and then leave with another passport with a different name.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf

The system does match up multiple passports. A cbp officer showed me a time when I entered on a UK passport and left on a Canadian passport. I'm guessing as long as name and dob match it's fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.