Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

How does Global Entry work for You?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2017, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
US Airports

Atlanta (ATL)

E concourse/transfer passengers
Global Entry kiosks are on the left wall as you enter the immigration area (the queues for the non-GE are to the right). After completing with the kiosk (facial recognition, no reset), continue to the far side of the room and turn right for the GE exit booths. Your face will be matched visually by the agent (against a line up of those recently through the kiosks) and you proceed to baggage claim. If you have no problems with your connecting flight (and no reason to open the bags) move them over to the drop off belt. There are two queues at security. Sometimes one is set up as TSA Precheck, sometimes they are both regular. Amusingly, when they have a Precheck line, there's usually nobody in the other one.

Boston (BOS)

All passengers follow a first hallway, then a bend, entering a second hallway; at that point you see the non-GE situation to your left through the glass. GE kiosks are at the far end to the left, with one (or two) immigration agents checking for slips with an X, then downstairs to baggage claim. GE customs exit, easy to miss, at far end (left side as you face luggage belts).

Charlotte (CLT)

No MPC. Customs exit has two booths. There is a dedicated GE customs lane with signage on the left. May have to walk past (and get dirty looks) general customs queue to see GE signage.

Chicago (ORD)

The kiosks are immediately apparent as you come down to the immigration/customs area, although sometimes long lines for "regular" immigration can slow access to the kiosks. After baggage claim there is a single exit to transfer/arrivals, with a specific desk for GE customers sometimes staffed.

Denver (DEN)
After the long walk from your gate, signs for global entry point you straight down the escalator (non-GE get forms checked and may queue). Kiosks to right using 2.0. If an X or to declare a sign points to agent. Otherwise proceed to baggage reclaim area. Give slip to agent at exit and proceed to airport main entrance.

Houston (IAH):

There is a single, roped off separate area on southern (terminal E) end of the arrivals hall with kiosks as you enter the hall, and an additional bank of kiosks near officers at a desk that check (and keep) GE receipts as one is entering the central immigration area. Proceed to the bag claim escalator past agents that may pull people for further questioning. After claiming bags downstairs, proceed directly to recheck. Agents in the area may pull you aside for bag inspection. There is no GE or standard exit queue.

Los Angeles (LAX):
International arrivals come into the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). After the walk to escalators, GE lines are well marked. LAX uses GE 2.0 facial recognition - just smile at the camera and it will tell you what to do next. You'll then go past an agent with whatever interaction they deem necessary. On to baggage claim and either taxis or a connecting flight.

Miami (MIA):

The kiosks are in the centre of the hall, between US and Tourists. Turn left when you have cleared and down the stairs/escalator to Customs. Turn left at the bottom and your GE Customs line is there.

New York (JFK):

T8
After receiving your "non-X" GE slip, you proceed to baggage area (if you have any), then head for the customs agent. There is a sign on a stand: "GLOBAL ENTRY EXIT", this lets you bypass any "others" waiting to see an agent.; There is a CPB agent who checks your pp (after collecting your slip). You then go to collect your luggage (if you have any), unless you are singled out for extra scrutiny, you are free to leave.
Once you are in baggage collection area, it seems all pax have "equal status" since GE no longer have their slips. [GE pax would still have their GE cards to show if needed.]

T7
Upon arrival in the Immigration area, the kiosks are on the back wall, facing the front of the inspectors booths. Turn left and you may have to walk right across the area to get to them. There is a special exit for Customs.

Philadelphia (PHL):

Global Entry kiosks are immediately on the right if arriving from an A-East gate (A2-A13). After successful facial recognition take your receipt to the Global Entry cubicle next to the kiosks. Hold up your receipt as your pass the GE officer in the cubicle and tell them if you have anything to declare. After claiming checked luggage, exit the FIS through the GE customs line, and give the officer your receipt.

San Francisco (SFO):

International arrivals G concourse - United/*A
Corridor from planes with floor and ceiling markings for different categories (GE, MPC, US, Foreign) that ultimately end up in lanes demarcated with tensa-barriers. GE is to the far left, where the kiosks are along the wall. Use kiosk, wait for agent, who will ask any questions, then pickup any bags and head past all carousels. Connecting flights to left; exit to right.

Seattle
Just before taking the escalator to the baggage hall the GE kiosks are on the right. New software so no receipts. After baggage collection join queue to the left for GE passengers. Agent asks questions as well as checks you for the GE kiosk record.

Washington (IAD):

Main Terminal
The kiosks are around the corner to the far right after you come down the escalator from the moon rover, behind a metal swinging gate marked for crew and GE. Starting Spring 2017 After using the kiosk, you'll enter a lane to for an agent to review your slip and to make any declarations (food, etc.), and then you proceed out a central door to the baggage claim area. There is no further check after this point. Post-2021: Using GE 2.0 and agents tend to take more time studying passport; door to baggage area a bit closer to GE checkpoint. Spring 2023: New facial scanners in place that are touchless - just look at screen, it images face, and directs you (in most cases) to proceed to the line. CBP agent confirms identity and checks passport, and asks if anything to declare.

Midfield (transfers) terminal (UA-UA only; limited hours)
The GE terminals are against the wall, on the left, immediately that you enter the arrivals immigration area. Do not join the barricaded area as you have gone too far. After you have your receipt you walk down the back of the inspectors booths to Customs. Note: No TSAPre available here.

Foreign Preclearance Airports

Montreal (YUL)

(All US bound flights)After CATSA security, the GE machines will be in your left. Facial recognition and no receipts will be issued just instructions to proceed to US or GE officer.

Vancouver (YVR)

(Most daytime US-bound flights. Not available for late-evening / night US-bound flights) GE/Nexus get expedited access to security, although it takes a bit of talking to convince the line guard to grant access because there is no reason to carry the GE card for air travel. Post security, the GE machines are in a dedicated area off to the left. After getting the receipt, you hand your receipt, passport and boarding pass to an available agent. Agent scans your boarding pass and if you have checked bags, a picture of your bag is displayed to the officer. American Citizens are waved past with ease. Non-American citizens are required to answer the standard "Where are you going / what are you doing" questions that apply to non-American citizen travellers. Non-American business travelers using GE at YVR can expect all the standard probing immigration-related questions regarding the nature of your business in the USA.

Dublin (DUB)

Preclearance:
After security, find 3 or 4 GE kiosks located on the left hand side. After getting the receipt, walk up to the CBP agent on the far left (from the passengers' point of view). Need to stop at CBP agent's desk and hand over passport + receipt + boarding pass. The BP is scanned to bring up picture(s) of bag(s) (in case bags were checked).
Print Wikipost

How does Global Entry work for You?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:12 pm

Does anyone have any insight on GE @ MCO? I fly through MCO often but next week will be my first international through there.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by N1120A

YYZ now has the checked baggage cameras, so they usually ask if you have checked baggage and then let you through without any further if you don't. If you do, they scan the BP and usually ask stuff.

YVR is always obnoxious and people are treated like criminals by the immigration booth agent.
In my experience (US Citizen with GE initially NEXUS later)

YVR = Quick question about number of checked bags or purpose of visit, then waved through quickly.

YUL = I wouldn't call it "twenty questions" but they asked more questions generally. Nothing grueling but generally 2-3 questions and a thorough exam of all docs (GE receipt/boarding pass/passport/NEXUS or GE card).

YYZ = Generally a straight wave through if carry on only, if checked baggage they generally just want to scan BP/check receipt to make sure they have an image of the checked bag and might ask one quick question about number of days in Canada/purpose of visit casually.

Domestic locations (e.g. US proper customs within US contiguous borders) are generally quick. I don't think I've been asked any questions returning to US CBP ever within the US borders, most officers don't even look at the photo of the top of your head... (Guilty, although I admit having used the kiosks more as of late it generally gets at least the top 2/3 of my head :-p )
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Yet, nearly all of my experiences with these airports are the opposite of yours. LAX is incredibly quick for me, no questions, almost an annoyance that they couldn't just wave me through. This over 2 or 3 passages through LAX TBIT last year. ORD is nasty to me. YVR I've gotten asked one question and no questions in two visits (will be passing through again next month so this is subject to update). Perhaps it is just the individual agent that day, with some larger sinusoidal ups and downs on issues depending on whatever point of emphasis has been brought to the attention of the individual airport's CBP head admin/agent.
Last time I went through TBIT I never even had my passport looked at. The guy was busy with 20 odd children and just waved me past.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KRSW
Does anyone have any insight on GE @ MCO? I fly through MCO often but next week will be my first international through there.
They have a podium after kiosks but it's generally just a how are you and a picture check.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
New GE / FIS procedures at IAH?

I entered the US recently at IAH. While using the GE machines I declared the food I had with me. I had a circle on my form, as is usually the case when declaring food. The agent at the exit to the GE area took my GE form and urged me on through. But I had yet to pick up my checked bags and I was worried that I was somehow being directed through the IAH one-stop customs setup where the next step is nt baggage claim -- it is the exit. I was told, "One stop isn't operating today" and urged on.

Once downstairs I saw that nobody in the arrivals hall seemed to have any sort of customs declaration. I retrieved my checked bag and then noticed the exit was for all customers, with no more GE lane. Thankfully, the often huge exit line was nonexistent. I've arrived at IAH many times before when the line snaked all the way down the baggage hall.

Agents were watching people going through the exit and were presumably sending some of them for inspection. But this was definitely not the same way things have been handled before. What happens if my declaration had required an agricultural (or other) inspection? Usually one's form is taken when everything is clear and one is exiting the facility, not beforehand. Has anyone seen this at other facilities?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA
CLT: no questions asked. The officer at the custom exit insisted checking the passport photo page

IAD: got the GE receipt and walked to the baggage claim area, nobody checked the receipts. The custom exit had no line or 2-3 people in the GE line

ORD: no questions asked. The custom had me X-ray my bag. Strange.

YHZ: CBP asked the purpose of the trip and if purchased anything. It's quick.

SEA: no question asked. The GE receipt was not checked.

DFW: I was shocked seeing 5 people in the GE exit line. The office asked everybody questions as if it's in the regular line. Very strange. It took me probably 5-8 minutes waiting in line.

SFO: no question asked. very quick.

YYZ: no question asked. Due to construction, I was confused of which lane to go, the GE people waved me through.

JFK: an officer checked the GE receipt before I could enter the baggage area. First time happened to me.

DUB: the office seemed asked questions like a regular line, but it's still quick. Felt uncomfortable as I haven't talked to a CBP office for years, did not know how to act
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
LAX - immigration officer thanked me for having my passport out just in case. Customs exit guy was more interested in arranging the stacks of forms in Perfect OCD formation than the passengers; at most, he cursorily compared me to the pic on the form.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by N1120A
LAX Tom Bradley has been particularly bad lately in having this island podium stationed blocking the exit from the GE kiosks and having an agent asking the same stupid questions as a regular immigration booth. I noticed a slight improvement on the last trip where the guy was grilling someone and then just asked people to hold up their slips and let them through, even welcoming or home (US citizen).

Also at LAX TBIT, the customs agents tend to ask questions of arriving GE passengers every single time.
Interesting. At LAX TBIT I have never been questioned, and never seen anyone with a GE slip questioned at either the GE exit or customs exit.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Mad_Max_Esq
I made a post a while ago about this, with almost the exact same thread title.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...-airports.html

Maybe when it fills out a little more it can be stickied.
This other thread is now wiki'd, so hopefully people can describe their home airports (or ones they're most famliar with)
Old May 3, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
More experiences in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...r-airport.html
Old May 4, 2017, 12:03 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by drewguy
This other thread is now wiki'd, so hopefully people can describe their home airports (or ones they're most famliar with)
Originally Posted by drewguy
And now they have been merged.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 5, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
A recent trip through ORD was interesting: lots of kiosks, after that I had to flash my receipt at someone at a podium (I had an X, so I was redirected to normal immigration), everyone else seemed to have to go up to the podiums. It looked like they were giving out stamps, but it's possible they were only stamping the receipt.

I also saw some interesting characters at SFO recently. There you have to walk past an immigration booth once you have your receipt. A few people had problems with the kiosks, and they were essentially shouted at to get lost when trying to explain their issues. Another person tried to make smalltalk about the kiosk cameras, and essentially got told to get lost. That same person also completely ignored a lone pilot in the crew line for about 5 minutes.

People with an X were (at least vaguely less rudely) redirected to a different booth, that guy did everything at hugely reduced speed - he didn't even acknowledge people's presence until after a minute or two of waiting, and took a long time for every single traveller.
Old May 16, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by hbtr
Interesting. At LAX TBIT I have never been questioned, and never seen anyone with a GE slip questioned at either the GE exit or customs exit.
That is surprising. I've seen this at least 4 trips in a row.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by hbtr
I've never been questioned at immigration, but about 1/2 the time I'm given the opportunity to amend my declaration at customs. Sometimes it's "anything to declare?" and sometimes it's something pointed like "Any fruits, meats, etc.."
Old May 17, 2017, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Dublin (DUB) Preclearance:
After security, find 3 or 4 GE kiosks located on the left hand side. After getting the receipt, walk up to the CBP agent on the far left (from the passengers' point of view). Hand over passport + receipt, identify bag(s) on screen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.