Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Application Name Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Application Name Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Thank you. I will. Appreciate the link.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by disneybride
Just in case anyone else is looking for this information, I was able to successfully change my passport to First initial, full middle name, last name. (ie: F. Murray Abraham). Just needed to fill out a DS-11 form and send it in with a copy of my drivers license which is also in that format.

Now to get Global Entry!
Thank you for sharing this. I am looking to get TSA or GE (no GE center nearby and no current plan to travel abroad for awhile). My passport has my full name, including middle and maiden name in the middle name position. My DL, which I use flying domestically, has middle initial and does not include maiden name. Changing my passport to just use middle name sounds easier to me than changing all my FF accounts and remembering to bring passport when flying domestically.

Updating my post Hmm. On dept. of state site DS-11 is the new passport app form. DS5504 is for name change or correction of data.

Last edited by travelpye; Jul 16, 2016 at 5:00 am
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For many people with passports, any easy solution is to get a passport card and use that as official photo ID for domestic travel. You could also use the GE card, but IME many travel document checkers don't know it.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelpye
Thank you for sharing this. I am looking to get TSA or GE (no GE center nearby and no current plan to travel abroad for awhile). My passport has my full name, including middle and maiden name in the middle name position. My DL, which I use flying domestically, has middle initial and does not include maiden name. Changing my passport to just use middle name sounds easier to me than changing all my FF accounts and remembering to bring passport when flying domestically.

Updating my post Hmm. On dept. of state site DS-11 is the new passport app form. DS5504 is for name change or correction of data.
You may have an easier time since your name change was due to marriage you should only have to send in your marriage certificate and name change form.

After I wrote this post the passport agency asked for 3 additional documents with my preferred name and the documents had to be at least 5 years old. Wasn't a problem for me, but I could see where that may be challenging if you don't keep stuff.

But passport changed and GE approval. So totally worth it.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:34 pm

Thank you, disneybride and MSPeconomist, I appreciate the information. I may indeed opt for the passport card as that sounds perhaps easier.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Misspelled name on PreCheck application

UGGGGG... I realized after I'd submitted my app that I got an extra letter in my last name. Can I have this fixed at my interview? Should I just reapply with correct spelling? Anyone know the best course? TY
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I actually have a similar problem. The Department of State misspelled my last name on my passport, adding a space after the Mac where a space doesn’t go (there’s not even any additional capitalization). DHS wouldn’t accept my driver’s license and I didn’t have my birth certificate on hand, so now if I want my Pre benefits I have to book all my flights with that space inserted in my last name.

Whats the best way to rectify this? Have the State Department my passport, then have TSA update my Pre record?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC, WN, Nexus
Interesting. I'm a Mc, too, with no space and then a capital letter. My US passport has always had a space, but not my driver's license or Nexus card. I've never had problems of any kind at the border or with TSA. I suppose there could be a difference in their handling of Mc and Mac.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

The OP's question concerns a typo on their TSA PreCheck application. Specifically, whether they can have this mistake fixed at their interview or whether they need reapply with their surname spelled correctly.

Discussions of name matching between airline tickets or boarding passes and known traveler profiles or identification documents belong in the following thread:
Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
All is well. Went to appt today, reviewed all info on my online application and fixed my fat finger typo! It was absolutely no big deal.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:56 pm

Question regarding middle name for TSA Precheck application

I am going to apply for TSA precheck. Should I include my full middle name as listed on my passport or just the middle name initial as listed on my driver's license?

When it applying it says:
  • Legal Name must match exactly on all identification documents brought to enrollment.
Please let me know. Thanks.

Angelo

Last edited by atomarchio; Jan 7, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by atomarchio
I am going to apply for TSA precheck. Should I include my full middle name as listed on my passport or just the middle name initial as listed on my driver's license?

When it applying it says:
  • Legal Name must match exactly on all identification documents brought to enrollment.
Please let me know. Thanks.

Angelo
Use the name as listed on your passport.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:41 am

Thanks. I've got my meeting scheduled for Thursday.

Any idea on how long it will take after that meeting to get my number?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
From other threads on this forum, TSA Pre applications usually seem to get approved in a week or two.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:40 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent question about the "eligibility determined" letter was moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.