Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Application Name Questions

Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Hi, I'm at the point where I'm no longer automatically getting TSA pre-check due to the new changes, so I'll have to apply for it. My passport and birth certificate are both listed as my full first name, full middle name, full last name. But my drivers license is first initial, full middle name, full last name.

All my frequent flyer and other airline info is also first initial, full middle name, full last name.

Looking at the docs needed for the TSA pre-check application, the only acceptable documents are those with my full first name and full middle name. When I get my Known Trusted Traveler Number, can I just enter it in my frequent flyer account and everything will be OK since the names don't exactly match? Or will this not work?

Also, at some point I'd like to change my passport to first initial, full middle name, full last name. When I change my passport name will this invalidate my Known Traveler Number?

TIA!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First and foremost and although slightly OT, if you have a passport, do not get TSA Pre-Check, get GE. It is $15 more over 5 years, so $3 / year. That pays for itself even if you only travel overseas once in the next 5 years.

No. You will find that if the name associated with your KTN is not exactly the same as in your profile that you will routinely not be selected for Pre-Check.

Use this opportunity to "harmonize" everything so that all "official" documents are exactly the same and that your various FFP profiles are the same as the "official" documents. You will have a lot fewer hassles and a lot better selection %.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta, United
I do not think you can change your passport. But you should change your FF account to your full name. Also spend the extra $15 and get global entry.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answer. I was afraid of that.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Oh, and you can change your passport. I have the form. I'll start with that first I suppose and make it match everything I've ever been called.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Federal policy generally calls for your full legal name as listed on your birth certificate, naturalization cert, or subsequent court declaration (i.e., official name change). Any deviation from this for your passport is usually the result of clerical oversight, so it may happen but don't count on it.

In any case, however your passport is issued, the rest of your docs (state, FF) should be harmonized to it, for the sake of Pre-Check or GE (I recommend the latter).

My name is the result of two generations of shenanigans, but at least I get Pre-Check almost all the time
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

TSA pre-check application name question

According to the U.S. Department of State Passport Services, you must present 2 or 3 public record documents (school records, tax records, insurance records, baptismal certificate, census record, etc.) that prove exclusive use of the assumed name for at least 5 years.

Also, the applicant must be able to submit "Statement of Witness in Support of Change of Name" executed by two or more persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's use of both names, and who can attest to the applicant's exclusive use of the assumed name for at least five years. These statements may be executed by relatives or close friends.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: Delta, United
The problem is you are not assuming a name just using an initial instead of your full name.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Just in case anyone else is looking for this information, I was able to successfully change my passport to First initial, full middle name, last name. (ie: F. Murray Abraham). Just needed to fill out a DS-11 form and send it in with a copy of my drivers license which is also in that format.

Now to get Global Entry!
Old May 3, 2016, 10:34 am

Question TSA Pre - Full middle name vs. Initial (different on passport vs. DL)

Wondering and seeking advice on how to enroll.

My driver's license and just about all documents I have and legally sign have my middle initial -- John S. Smith

My passport has my full middle name -- John Samuel Smith

When I get an airline ticket it has the initial on it -- John S. Smith

I'm inclined to enroll with the passport because it's easier and saves a trip to safe deposit box to get birth certificate (Birth Cert + DL = Substitute for passport). I honestly don't remember if my birth certificate has the "S." or "Samuel" on it.

I wonder if this is going to cause any complications either in enrollment or in checking ID at airports since most of my flights are domestic and I'll be using my DL with "John S. Smith" on it, not my passport with "John Samuel Smith."

Any advice or suggestions to avoid being stuck in the maw of the TSA bureaucracy?

If the Birth Cert. has "John S. Smith" is the DL + Birth Certificate the easier route (DL + Birth Cert = same name)?

If the Birth Cert. has "John Samuel Smith", then just go with passport and let TSA figure out that "John S. Smith" on my DL is me?

FWIW this was not an issue on an international flight recently with ticket in name of "John S. Smith" and passport named "John Samuel Smith".

Thanks for any help, I don't want to overthink it but I know TSA well enough to not trust them and to want to avoid any complication if possible.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Gold, Emerald Club Executive Elite, Global Entry
Originally Posted by fendertweed
Wondering and seeking advice on how to enroll.

My driver's license and just about all documents I have and legally sign have my middle initial -- John S. Smith

My passport has my full middle name -- John Samuel Smith

When I get an airline ticket it has the initial on it -- John S. Smith

I'm inclined to enroll with the passport because it's easier and saves a trip to safe deposit box to get birth certificate (Birth Cert + DL = Substitute for passport). I honestly don't remember if my birth certificate has the "S." or "Samuel" on it.

I wonder if this is going to cause any complications either in enrollment or in checking ID at airports since most of my flights are domestic and I'll be using my DL with "John S. Smith" on it, not my passport with "John Samuel Smith."

Any advice or suggestions to avoid being stuck in the maw of the TSA bureaucracy?

If the Birth Cert. has "John S. Smith" is the DL + Birth Certificate the easier route (DL + Birth Cert = same name)?

If the Birth Cert. has "John Samuel Smith", then just go with passport and let TSA figure out that "John S. Smith" on my DL is me?

FWIW this was not an issue on an international flight recently with ticket in name of "John S. Smith" and passport named "John Samuel Smith".

Thanks for any help, I don't want to overthink it but I know TSA well enough to not trust them and to want to avoid any complication if possible.
You apparently didn't read the thread you posted in... See post #6 @:-)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25743199-post6.html
Old May 3, 2016, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by tehspecs

I merged fendertweed's question into an existing thread dealing with similar issues.

TWA884
Co-moderator. Travel Safety/Security
Old May 3, 2016, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by tehspecs

apparently not ... it was a busy, multi-tasking morning.
Old May 8, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
A question just to double check. My husband and I enrolled in Pre-check (too lazy to deal with GE this time) and used our passports. FWIW - we got our KTN in 2 days.

My name is, uh, different. I have 2 middle names, and none of my documents have ever shown my second middle name, or even the initial. My passport shows both middle names, so when I enrolled, I had to do so with both of them. My FF accounts only show 1 middle initial, so I called the airlines and had both middle names shown, as well as had my existing reservation changed to that name.

Will this preclude me from using my driver's license when going through the TSA lanes even if I have pre-check? I hate to have to carry my passport for domestic travel.

My husband only has 1 middle name, but again, on his FF accounts it only shows the initial. It's the same on his driver's license. His KTN show his full middle name.

I have to get the name changed on his FF accounts and ticket, but the question remains - are both of us stuck traveling with our passports all the time?

If so, it may be easier to get our driver's licenses changed

Thoughts?
Old May 8, 2016, 11:14 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Mary2e
A question just to double check. My husband and I enrolled in Pre-check (too lazy to deal with GE this time) and used our passports. FWIW - we got our KTN in 2 days.

My name is, uh, different. I have 2 middle names, and none of my documents have ever shown my second middle name, or even the initial. My passport shows both middle names, so when I enrolled, I had to do so with both of them. My FF accounts only show 1 middle initial, so I called the airlines and had both middle names shown, as well as had my existing reservation changed to that name.

Will this preclude me from using my driver's license when going through the TSA lanes even if I have pre-check? I hate to have to carry my passport for domestic travel.

My husband only has 1 middle name, but again, on his FF accounts it only shows the initial. It's the same on his driver's license. His KTN show his full middle name.

I have to get the name changed on his FF accounts and ticket, but the question remains - are both of us stuck traveling with our passports all the time?

If so, it may be easier to get our driver's licenses changed

Thoughts?
Take a look at this thread:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.