Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Applied September 10, approved September 18.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 2:15 pm
S24

Nexus expired August 24,2019, renewal application submitted July 18 (before expiry date), payment made, however, still waiting renewal. Went on the Trusted Travelers program website and found that "You become eligible to renew your membership 1 year prior to program expiration. If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits up to 1 year after your membership expiration date."

Will be traveling soon to the US, I hope my GE will be recognized while I wait on my renewal.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by S24
Nexus expired August 24,2019, renewal application submitted July 18 (before expiry date), payment made, however, still waiting renewal. Went on the Trusted Travelers program website and found that "You become eligible to renew your membership 1 year prior to program expiration. If you submit a renewal application before your membership expires, you will be able to continue to use benefits up to 1 year after your membership expiration date."

Will be traveling soon to the US, I hope my GE will be recognized while I wait on my renewal.
As long as you applied before expiration, it'll continue to work for up to 12 months or you're declined renewal.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kochleffel
Applied September 10, approved September 18.
Envy! Applied for renewal on Sept 1st (Nexus had expired, oops) and still awaiting any change in status. I suspect I'll be one of those with a long wait. Sigh.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
Almost 4 month timeline, renewed no interview

Applied for renewal 4/22/2019 for expiring status October 2019.
Used online form to query status of application 7/22/2019; received generic response.
Renewed on 8/9/2019, with no interview (APPROVED).
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:24 pm

is there any benefit to renew closer to the expiry date so as to have a longer expiry date when they finally renew? or does it matter?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by hondacrv
is there any benefit to renew closer to the expiry date so as to have a longer expiry date when they finally renew? or does it matter?
No benefit by waiting unless you allow it to expire then renew.

You are better off renewing 364 days before expiration date.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC, WN, Nexus
Renewal application 11 July 2019, conditional approval 2 October. 83 days.

Last edited by mistermap; Oct 2, 2019 at 3:06 pm Reason: fixing typo
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Nexus
Mine expired end of July and I am on may second renewal. I applied before the expiration date and still not a change in status 9 weeks in. Never seen this before, so wondering if the Trump Government issues are ongoing. I am a US and Canadian citizen living in Canada. I do not expect a request for interview. Just wish they'd hurry up now as my card has expired. And they have my $!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Andie Bianco
Mine expired end of July and I am on may second renewal. I applied before the expiration date and still not a change in status 9 weeks in. Never seen this before, so wondering if the Trump Government issues are ongoing. I am a US and Canadian citizen living in Canada. I do not expect a request for interview. Just wish they'd hurry up now as my card has expired. And they have my $!
At least the US side allows you to use it since you applied before expiration. (6 or 12 months)
Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Sorry if this has been answered (I didn't read through all 41 pages but I did check the Wiki on the other thread), but my wife and I both have NEXUS set to expire early next year (March and April of 2020). We don't travel to Canada much anymore since I no longer have the job I had when I applied, and we won't be able to use it on our next trip anyway since her mother will be with us. Are there any drawbacks to just letting it expire? Will we just revert back to our pre-NEXUS status or will we get flagged for extra scrutiny at border crossings and airport security?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by strickerj
Sorry if this has been answered (I didn't read through all 41 pages but I did check the Wiki on the other thread), but my wife and I both have NEXUS set to expire early next year (March and April of 2020). We don't travel to Canada much anymore since I no longer have the job I had when I applied, and we won't be able to use it on our next trip anyway since her mother will be with us. Are there any drawbacks to just letting it expire? Will we just revert back to our pre-NEXUS status or will we get flagged for extra scrutiny at border crossings and airport security?
You'd presumably lose access to TSA Precheck and you'd lose Global Entry privileges when entering the US.

If you don't travel much, then of course a trusted travel program is not useful.

For the $50 renewal fee, you'll likely (not certain, but likely) get your Nexus renewed without a requirement for a new interview. The Nexus card itself is a valid form of TSA-approved identification, so if your current state driver license is not RealID-compliant, you'd already have an ID that works for "federal purposes" such as air travel after October 2020. Of course, Nexus includes Global Entry and TSA Precheck, so those programs would continue for you upon renewal of your Nexus membership.
1KChinito and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by mnbp
You'd presumably lose access to TSA Precheck and you'd lose Global Entry privileges when entering the US.

If you don't travel much, then of course a trusted travel program is not useful.

For the $50 renewal fee, you'll likely (not certain, but likely) get your Nexus renewed without a requirement for a new interview. The Nexus card itself is a valid form of TSA-approved identification, so if your current state driver license is not RealID-compliant, you'd already have an ID that works for "federal purposes" such as air travel after October 2020. Of course, Nexus includes Global Entry and TSA Precheck, so those programs would continue for you upon renewal of your Nexus membership.
This is what I was hoping for. My driver's license isn’t RealID compliant, but I have a passport. Regardless of the cost, I don’t travel internationally enough anymore to justify taking a full day off for both my wife and me to go to Detroit for another interview (it’s at least an hour and a half away). I just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t be flagged somehow for failing to renew.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by strickerj
This is what I was hoping for. My driver's license isn’t RealID compliant, but I have a passport. Regardless of the cost, I don’t travel internationally enough anymore to justify taking a full day off for both my wife and me to go to Detroit for another interview (it’s at least an hour and a half away). I just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t be flagged somehow for failing to renew.
You most likely will be renewed without need for another interview. Not renewing doesn't cause any additional flags.
TWA884 and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You most likely will be renewed without need for another interview. Not renewing doesn't cause any additional flags.
Thanks! Any way to know in advance if they’ll require an interview? If not, I’ll gladly pay the $50 and do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.