Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nexus Renewal Information and Processing Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Applied: October 10, 2018
Approved: December 5, 2018
I did not require an interview. Note that this is my first renewal. I renewed about 11 months out just to play it safe.

Originally Posted by trek604
Canadian, first renewal. Applied December 18. Approved, no interview required, December 29. I recieved no email notification; I just logged in to look today...
I remember getting an email with the initial application. I also didn't receive an email. I didn't even know I was approved until the new card arrived in the mail.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 31, 2019 at 8:26 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by uncomfortable
Just chipping in with my experience. I applied for my first renewal on 30 October, and the status is still pending review. My current membership is expiring on 26 October 2019, I applied almost the full year in advance, so I'm not too worried.
Interesting to see that applications are being processed also during the shutdown, some of them really quickly.
Just an update: got an email on 1 February saying my renewal is approved, no interview needed.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS
Applied Jan 8th for renewal. Status is still pending review..birthday next month so getting worried...
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by kyden
Applied Jan 8th for renewal. Status is still pending review..birthday next month so getting worried...
Re "getting worried":

From Trusted Traveler Programs - Frequently Asked Questions:

If you submitted a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date).
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by mnbp
What section heading was that under? I did a search function for the word "expire", and did not see that come up.

Anyways, thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by kyden
What section heading was that under? I did a search function for the word "expire", and did not see that come up.

Anyways, thanks.
This quote is from FAQ Section "I have submitted my Trusted Traveler application for review. Did CBP receive my application?"
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Applied late December for my NEXUS renewal (expires in May). Still pending review. But when I went to log in to check the status today I noticed the following message has been added to the website:

The extended partial government shutdown has resulted in a substantial backlog of CBP's Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) applications and renewals.
Applicants for Global Entry (GE), SENTRI, NEXUS and FAST should expect significant delays in application processing times and limited appointment availability at TTP enrollment centers.
Conditionally approved GE members should seek to complete their GE interviews without an appointment upon arrival from an international flight at any of the 49 airports participating in CBP's Enrollment on Arrival (EoA) program.

I'm settling in for the long haul. Really shoulda submitted the renewal application earlier, but I just plum forgot.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:54 am

Right after the government reopened, my partner managed to score an appointment at Derby Line VT. They said despite the low appointment availability that for normal interviews, they could easily handle 3-4x as many people, and were perfectly fine with walk-ins. So if you do get conditional approval and it's not too far to an enrollment center, you may try to roll the dice with a walk-in.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:05 pm

I'm in the same situation. Under what question do you see that about renewal? It means I can continue to use Global Entry for 6 months after my expiration? Will the Global Entry machine still accept it?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
I'm in the same situation. Under what question do you see that about renewal? It means I can continue to use Global Entry for 6 months after my expiration? Will the Global Entry machine still accept it?
This quote is from FAQ Section "I have submitted my Trusted Traveler application for review. Did CBP receive my application?"
Go to the FAQ and click on "expand all". Then, use your web browser's find function and look for the word "expiration". As of today, the second occurrence of the word "expiration" is part of the following sentence:
If you submitted a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:11 am

Go to the FAQ and click on "expand all". Then, use your web browser's find function and look for the word "expiration". As of today, the second occurrence of the word "expiration" is part of the following sentence:
Thank you!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:39 am

So 2/3 of my renewal applications were quickly approved with no interview required
Applied Jan 29
Approved Feb 11 (10 business days)

The youngest kid needs interview but it was expected. She did not have fingerprints or iris on file from the first time as she was too young.
Going to try for interview slots in Edmonton but so far it has only shown "no appointments available for this location". Booked something random in Calgary for now to satisfy the booking an appointment within a month requirement but will check back periodically to see if Edmonton opens their appointment books again. Will likely do walk in on our next trip to airport if nothing pops up. I'm like 99% sure they only want the biometrics on file and not a real interview considering the older kid and both adults were approved without interviews already. Wonder if the Edmonton slots are truly all taken or just they have not gotten their US officers back up to full capacity here yet.

Edit:
Someone must have changed their appointment. A single slot for Edmonton opened up and I took it, it's not a great date/time though, will keep watching.

Last edited by QueBall; Feb 18, 2019 at 8:21 pm Reason: Edmonton appt opened up
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:16 pm

Just got my status change email.

Applied Oct 15/18
Approved Feb 14/19 with no interview.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Got my APEC card during the last 5 year period... but I do live outside of Canada and since 2014 had been to 35 countries.

Applied 10 November
still pending review

~65 business days.

Given my card expires soon, I assume the 6 month extension is automatically given (and bring a print-out of this for anyone uninformed) so I can also use Global Entry and TSA Pre while I wait? I guess I can use APEC line instead of NEXUS when coming into Canada if I'm stuck with an expired card...

Last edited by shuuy; Feb 14, 2019 at 11:36 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Called and got through to someone at the NEXUS office. A challenging discussion to try and get more information as it started with: "have you checked the website... as we don't have any more information than the website" ... but then

"current processing is 12 weeks minimum + 5 weeks for the US government shutdown" ..."the website may not be updated yet"
"Canada has made a decision and we're still waiting for the US decision" ... (and if Canada moves it to the US it implies it has been approved)

Hope others have a more straightforward experience!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.