Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by TWA884
I have not filled out the paper customs declaration since the day that my Global Entry application was approved.
You are lucky. I filled out once every two years because either the kiosks were down or did not recognize my fingerprints.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
You are lucky. I filled out once every two years because either the kiosks were down or did not recognize my fingerprints.
Same here.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Originally Posted by TWA884
I have not filled out the paper customs declaration since the day that my Global Entry application was approved.
Same here.
I just arrived on an international flight at LAX this afternoon.

The US Customs and Border Protection Declarations (Form 6059B) were not passed out on my flight. On the contrary, the purser made an announcement that at LAX, paper declarations are no longer used. Instead, all arriving international passengers electronically complete the customs declarations at the kiosks.

Of course, as I was done at the GE kiosk - no wait, plenty of available kiosks - I saw a long line of people with X's on their slips waiting at the CBP counter at the exit from the GE kiosk area. I heard at least one being instructed to fill out a paper declaration.

Another CBP officer noticed me standing and holding a printed slip from the kiosk (with no X's or O's); he just waved me though. At the exit from the customs hall, I was just asked whether I had any food with me. I said that I didn't and that was the end of it. The slip was collected and I was free to go.

Total time from entering the FIS facility to exiting it was under 5 minutes (as usual, I traveled with carry on luggage only).
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
2 recent experiences declaring food on the GE kiosk @sfo (both times arriving from Mexico)-

(1) The CBP officer carefully reviewed all the forms and passports (my kids aren't tall enough for the kiosk photo booth) and proceeded to tell me that I did not need to check "yes" for the type of food I had (all prepackaged cookies, etc.) but that I should always tell the CBP about any such food whn they take my form otherwise I could lose my GE status. Okaaay ....

We then proceeded to baggage claim, and then to customs where I was directed to secondary. At that point I was asked what food I had and I proceeded to have a conniption, telling them that all my food was in a plastic bag which I thrust at them and told them were welcome to waste their time inspecting. Mrs. B thought I was inviting a cavity search but they kind of looked at me funny and then sent us on our way without an xray. ^

(2) I arrived in the afternoon and was quickly through GE to customs, where I explained (more calmly this time) that I only had packaged candy and "a cliff bar that I exported and then re-imported" - and once again was sent on my way without an x-ray.

So maybe things have loosened up a bit @sfo or the customs guys see me coming now and grimace
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
2 recent experiences declaring food on the GE kiosk @sfo (both times arriving from Mexico)-

(1) The CBP officer carefully reviewed all the forms and passports (my kids aren't tall enough for the kiosk photo booth) and proceeded to tell me that I did not need to check "yes" for the type of food I had (all prepackaged cookies, etc.) but that I should always tell the CBP about any such food whn they take my form otherwise I could lose my GE status. Okaaay ....
The only issue I have with CBP officer's recommendation is what if I forget to tell a CBP officer when s/he collects my printed Global Entry form. I will always declare "yes" just to be on the safe side in order to avoid a $500 fine and permanent GE revocation.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I thought there was provision for an amended declaration when they tell you that they'd like to go through your bag?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I thought there was provision for an amended declaration when they tell you that they'd like to go through your bag?
Yes, there is.

After flying 10+ hours with a jet lag, you may not remember. If you forget to declare verbally and a food item is found, what are you going to say then? This is how people get fined and lose their Global Entry privileges permanently. To me, it is better to play it safe than sorry.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I've never trusted that and I have never seen it in writing. I don't see how it cancels out the GE obligation to declare all food on the kiosk - as some CBP agents say, if it goes in your mouth, you declare it.

I don't want to be in the awkward situation of trying to tell 'Agent B' that I technically lied on the kiosk because 'Agent A' (who naturally will be nowhere to be seen) told me to do something that conflicted with the instructions given to all GE members.

YMMV.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
While you are allowed to amend declaration before baggage inspection begins but it could become a grey area if officer don't believe it was an honest oversight.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Boraxo
but that I should always tell the CBP about any such food whn they take my form otherwise I could lose my GE status. Okaaay ....
Indeed! On the times I haven't declared food, my interaction with CBP is so brief that I probably couldn't "declare" it anyway. I'll stick with the declare and explain approach . . . "better safe than sorry".
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
I always declare, even something as trivial as a bag of candy. The program is so unforgiving of transgressions that I try to make it a point to always follow the rules to the letter, even if officials feel I'm wasting their time.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by txviking
I always declare, even something as trivial as a bag of candy. The program is so unforgiving of transgressions that I try to make it a point to always follow the rules to the letter, even if officials feel I'm wasting their time.
Me too, but I don't think the officials feel I'm wasting their time, but rather that is their job security.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Me as well

Originally Posted by txviking

At sfo they usually laugh at us.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:15 pm

A few weeks ago at JFK, I declared about $10 worth of German chocolate. The agent politely told me not to declare anything processes in the future, otherwise I would end up in a back room wasting everyone's time.

What sucks is that I don't want to risk my GE status and not declare in the future only to be told DECLARE EVERYTHING!!!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by ToddSpam
A few weeks ago at JFK, I declared about $10 worth of German chocolate. The agent politely told me not to declare anything processes in the future, otherwise I would end up in a back room wasting everyone's time.

What sucks is that I don't want to risk my GE status and not declare in the future only to be told DECLARE EVERYTHING!!!
You will be told by a different officer in the future, anything edible that you can put in your mouth is considered food. Which should be declared.

I will always declare food if applicable. On the other hand, I try not to bring anything edible in.
TWA884 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.