Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Global Entry kiosks typically ask a yes/no question about whether you are bringing "food" into the country. The question is broader than on the deprecated blue form that asked about fruits, vegetables, meats, etc.

CBP answers the question of whether you must declare all "food" on its website:

CBP expects declaration to be made even if not asked by kiosk or explicitly asked by CBP officer
Link to TTP Interview guidance letter - Thanks hourglass

Must I declare food items or products when using the Global entry kiosk?

Yes, all food items and products must be declared when entering the U.S.

You may be able to bring in food such as fruits, meats or other agricultural products depending on the region or country from which you are traveling.
General consensus is that the best practice is to declare any "food", include candies, cookies, snacks, etc. and then inform the CBP agent about your food. Experience has been that in nearly all cases the agent will wave you through with extremely minimal delay. As explained elsewhere, the primary focus of the question is to prevent importation of fruits, vegetable, and meats that could cause harm to the American food supply, but it is safest to allow the CBP agent to make the determination.

There is some debate as to whether items one can ingest for non-nutritive reasons (e.g., gum, toothpaste, medicine) should qualify as food. There does not appear to be an answer from CBP or experience showing the proper categorization of such items.

Print Wikipost

Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 7:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
GE kiosks have changed the question about food

Each of us have different acceptable tolerance for risk. Based on research and experience with secondary, this is acceptable "risk" but again I think the risk of "losing GE" is overblown (or even non-existent) by FT individuals who have not done any research at all.

In the past 15 GE eligible trips, I've been flagged twice for a secondary and both times were due to answering YES. Both times cost 15-20 minutes. Both times, the CBP officer performing the secondary indicted not to declare chocolates/sweets and that they are looking for agricultural products (meat fruit plant).

GE is authorized by the CFR quoted above. The food question is tie to that particular section of CFR and again is for declaration of restricted/prohibited goods. Even if you were to be discover carrying chocolates/sweets on a random secondary and that officer wanted to revoke GE, I think it can be argued on appeals no rule was being violated.

Going back to the first point, each of us have an acceptable level of risk. In this case, I think the risk just isn't there to begin with.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
That's very well stated, seawolf. Usually I just avoid bringing "food".
Occasionally I forget that I have chewable supplements (running energy gels) but don't panic about it as they are pretty far from any agricultural origin.
When I brought back Parmesan and 40 year old balsamic vinegar from Italy, I first verified they were not prohibited items (nature and quantity), then declared food. It took just seconds at YYZ customs.
I once explained my "food" was a bag of M&Ms (chocolate was derived from a plant and dairy ingredients--they don't say how many steps removed from that state is acceptable). The officer was not exercised about it, but he did perform a cursory search of one of my bags. It took a few minutes. Not 20 but maybe 5. Mostly waiting my turn.
In the middle is granola bars. The rolled oats are not so far from "plant". It could be argued the nuts and seeds are "plant". I don't like the "fruit" type so at least there is that. It's individual officer interpretation that I worry about here.
My approach is to avoid bringing them unless I expect I can't get them at the destination, and I am worried about finding food I can eat without allergies in a foreign place.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by seawolf

In the past 15 GE eligible trips, I've been flagged twice for a secondary and both times were due to answering YES. Both times cost 15-20 minutes. Both times, the CBP officer performing the secondary indicted not to declare chocolates/sweets and that they are looking for agricultural products (meat fruit plant).
Answered yes to food this weekend. Affirmatively told the CBP officer at the exit (IAD) that the food was chocolate and sweets before she even asked. She asked "is that all for food?" Yes. Thank you.
Old May 19, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by seawolf
Going back to the first point, each of us have an acceptable level of risk. In this case, I think the risk just isn't there to begin with.
You raise an interesting point, which makes me wonder whether there is a FT thread entitled "I lost my GE over the Food Question?" Or, is there any FT thread about "Reasons why my GE was revoked?" I don't recall seeing such threads, and that might help us understand the level of true risk out there.
Old May 19, 2014, 12:11 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by drewguy
Answered yes to food this weekend. Affirmatively told the CBP officer at the exit (IAD) that the food was chocolate and sweets before she even asked. She asked "is that all for food?" Yes. Thank you.
I wish I had that treatment in JFK and MIA. Both times they saw the CIRCLE and BAGGAGE CONTROL on the GE receipt, it was off to secondary despite me stating only chocolates.

Originally Posted by 747FC
You raise an interesting point, which makes me wonder whether there is a FT thread entitled "I lost my GE over the Food Question?" Or, is there any FT thread about "Reasons why my GE was revoked?" I don't recall seeing such threads, and that might help us understand the level of true risk out there.
+1
Old May 19, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 747FC
On the other hand, we also haven't seen any reports of someone getting a random secondary and having the agents note the candy but say it wasn't an issue.

In other words, the instances of secondaries where the pax had candy and it was a non-issue also seem to be low, meaning we can't really conclude much about risk.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
ATL today - answered "yes" and got the "O".

Mentioned I had food to the initial agent at the desk. He asked what food, I answered (chocolates, cheese, tea, chips), and he said I could proceed (nothing was stamped).

Get my checked bag and headed to the exit where you turn in your card. The agent who took the card asked the same thing what was I bringing and asked the usual questions: meats? fruits/vegetables? I said no and was welcomed to pass.

Total additional time: probably 10 seconds total
Old May 28, 2014, 8:30 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Smaug

Mentioned I had food to the initial agent at the desk. He asked what food, I answered (chocolates, cheese, tea, chips), and he said I could proceed (nothing was stamped).

Get my checked bag and headed to the exit where you turn in your card. The agent who took the card asked the same thing what was I bringing and asked the usual questions: meats? fruits/vegetables? I said no and was welcomed to pass.

It would be great if they did this at all CBP posts.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold

Do you recall whether the card said "proceed to passport control," or "proceed to baggage office"?
Old May 28, 2014, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Similar experience at Seattle - arrived, declared food to the machine, got the big 'O', then on the way out I said what I had with me as I handed over the card, and was waved through. I can't help but think the inspectors will be a little more lax on seeing the 'O' as they are probably seeing many more of them given the wording change and not asking to look through the bag or view the item being declared.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 14940674
Do you recall whether the card said "proceed to passport control," or "proceed to baggage office"?
I don't recall seeing any of those, but it could have been there.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K

Damn so i left my Macadamia nuts for no reason I decided not to bring food through as i didn't want to take the time to declare. Of course there was no one in line and had to wait forever for my bags anyways. Hopefully the crew member i gave them to enjoyed them
Old May 29, 2014, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Returning home through ORD, an airport I rarely fly into/out of. Declared food (chocolates). Got a message something like 'proceed to baggage claim?'. The customs agent asked me what I had, I said a box of chocolates, and I was directed to what is apparently an agricultural station. 15-minute wait in line, they ran my bags through an xray and told me I could go.

I guess I was lucky. The line moved slowly because most folks' bags were being torn apart on the table by the xray exit - that was the reason for the holdup.
Old May 29, 2014, 7:05 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by chollie
Returning home through ORD, an airport I rarely fly into/out of. Declared food (chocolates). Got a message something like 'proceed to baggage claim?'. The customs agent asked me what I had, I said a box of chocolates, and I was directed to what is apparently an agricultural station. 15-minute wait in line, they ran my bags through an xray and told me I could go.

I guess I was lucky. The line moved slowly because most folks' bags were being torn apart on the table by the xray exit - that was the reason for the holdup.
This was my experience at MIA after declaring Y for carrying potato chips. Woman in front of me had boxes and boxes of medication.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Similar experience at SFO with tea except no checked bags. For me, xray line was empty. Added 1 minute to the usual fly through. Love GE. Love Pre-check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.