Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Often1
You misread what I wrote in response to the specific issue. This is not a discussion of whether the individual has committed a crime. He has not. The question is whether CBP may administratively revoke GE. It may.

The two are entirely separate and distinct issues.

If you have a hard time believing that CBP would not revoke GE for the single electronically-undeclared apple or whatever, even if later declared, you would simply be wrong. No need for a big lecture here, but that question about food is there to protect US agriculture and people who can't be trusted to answer correctly aren't, well, trusted -- so, they get booted (or at least suspended for a while) from their trusted traveler program, e.g. GE. Happens every day.
Yes, I understood your post and and I understand the difference. And the hypothetical you stated would be a possible violation sufficient to revoke GE status was a "false" statement to the computer that was then corrected with the agent, prior to discovery by a dog/search/whatever. I said I was highly doubtful that would be a basis for revocation. Revocation in that circumstance would be highly inconsistent with any sense of justice, due process, or relevant law.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Just entered USA. Had lost GE for having an apple in my bag. For the first time in a year, I disnt get the X on my
Immigration slip and no extra X-ray scan. Is this part of the new #Trump plan? Not looking for political debate, just trying to determine what happens to those of us stuck with "Apple" issues.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, Marriott TE, National EE, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
I recently got GE approval but during the interview I was asked to explain my 'Ag violation warning' from a few years back. I was caught off guard, didn't recall anything at first, then I recalled my wife getting caught with an apple by a sniffer dog whilst in baggage claim. She was given a warning but we were traveling on one blue declaration form so it counts on me too. Officer said if she had been given an official warning, I would have been rejected. They don't muck around.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

A recent question whether sometimes people aren't asked any declaration questions at the GE kiosk and several responses to it were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:30 am

Same thing happened to me

Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG
I just got caught by one of the beagles while waiting for my checked bag to come out. Accidentally left a banana in my carry-on. The woman with the dog said it doesn't matter that it was an accident--the fact that I didn't declare it at the Global Entry kiosk warranted a $500 fine. She also said that it means my GE access is revoked and now I have a customs violation on my record so likely will be rejected if I ever apply again.

Worst mistake ever.

Anyone have any experience with this? I paid the fine on the spot so I'm not sure if that means I can no longer protest it.
Hi. The same thing happened to us two days ago. We forgot some fruit we had for our kids in our bag and had to pay $500 and hubby lost GE.

Now I'm worried that going through customs in the future will be very difficult.

What has your experience with this been?

Do the agents make it harder for you to re enter the country since you have violation on your record? Obviously we will be Uber careful not to bring food in again next time, but I'm really worried, as we are now flagged as violators.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by Efrozit
Hi. The same thing happened to us two days ago. We forgot some fruit we had for our kids in our bag and had to pay $500 and hubby lost GE.

Now I'm worried that going through customs in the future will be very difficult.

What has your experience with this been?

Do the agents make it harder for you to re enter the country since you have violation on your record? Obviously we will be Uber careful not to bring food in again next time, but I'm really worried, as we are now flagged as violators.
Based on previous data points, I'd expect that you should expect to get extra scrutiny every time you enter the country for the next year or so.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:49 pm

I don't even remember what year it was when customs took away some sausage products I brought back from Germany....2007 or 2008 I think. I applied for Global Entry in 2010 and I was denied almost immediately. The following years were pure hell, my stuff was torn apart almost every international flight I came back on. Up to last month, coming back from Philippines through Toronto, I had the dreaded X on my Immigration print out.....
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Action

Recent posts discussing which fruits and vegetables can be brought into the US, which has nothing do do with Global Entry revocations, were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA
Loosing GE over bacon.

Thought this could a be useful & funny story:

I continue to be clueless about what food is exactly permissible to bring into CA(lifornia), so i always declare, learn and loose less and less food to the agrarian inspection. Once i brought canned sausage from DE and could keep the can with pork sausage but not he one with beef sausage. Rule: can only bring beef from few countries, like NZ). That was before becoming GE.

So then recently i had some german prosciutto, but being GE, i had to remember that on the spot when the agrarian inspector asked me. And i almost forgot it amongst the other food i had packed. Then the agrarian inspector told me that that was "of course" not allowed because it was nt fully cooked/canned. And more importantly: If i would not have mentioned it, not only would i have gotten a fine, but would have also lost GE. So i just lost $6 worth of bacon *sob*.

Long story short, it might not be a bad idea to write down all the food when packing especially because as GE you do not need to write it on the 6059B.

Last time arriving SFO, the GE line was probably > 100 people and tourist line was < 4. I wonder if one can actually jump to that shorter line (never tried to do this alone, only when traveling with non-resident co-travellers). That too would be a reason to continue filling out 6059B even as GE... Just in case.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by te36
Last time arriving SFO, the GE line was probably > 100 people and tourist line was < 4.
I'm surprised there were over 100 passengers in the Global Entry line. I came through SFO two weeks ago, coming home from Singapore, and there wasn't any line for Global Entry kiosks (same line as for airline crew). That's pretty typical when I arrive at the international terminal there. Could you be confusing the automated kiosks that anyone can use with the ones that are limited to those with Global Entry? They're very different kiosks.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:47 am

I continue to be clueless about what food is exactly permissible to bring into CA(lifornia), so i always declare, learn and loose less and less food to the agrarian inspection. Once i brought canned sausage from DE and could keep the can with pork sausage but not he one with beef sausage. Rule: can only bring beef from few countries, like NZ). That was before becoming GE.

Long story short, it might not be a bad idea to write down all the food when packing especially because as GE you do not need to write it on the 6059B.
Or you could carry a copy of the rules and know before you shop what's allowed.

Also the rule on beef is that it is prohibited from countries with BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy), even if there hasn't been a documented case for several years.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Dec 3, 2017 at 7:55 am
Old Dec 3, 2017, 6:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Last time arriving SFO, the GE line was probably > 100 people and tourist line was < 4. I wonder if one can actually jump to that shorter line (never tried to do this alone, only when traveling with non-resident co-travellers). That too would be a reason to continue filling out 6059B even as GE... Just in case.
I haven’t seen this before but I do keep a partial prefilled customs form and mobile passport app on me should I run into this. Another tip is to keep all your declarables in one bag.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:11 am

@te36,

I merged your post into the relevant thread.

Please take a look at the thread which I linked in my post immediately preceding yours for guidance as to what food can be brought into the US.

In addition, the following thread has very useful information about declaring food via the GE kiosks:
TWA884
te36 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Long story short, it might not be a bad idea to write down all the food when packing...
That is what I have been doing. The mental exercise is best done before you leave, when one's mind is (hopefully) uncluttered by jet lag. When I get the "O", I just give my handwritten list to the CPB agent...I think they appreciate the planning and expeditiousness.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by tom911
I'm surprised there were over 100 passengers in the Global Entry line. I came through SFO two weeks ago, coming home from Singapore, and there wasn't any line for Global Entry kiosks (same line as for airline crew). That's pretty typical when I arrive at the international terminal there. Could you be confusing the automated kiosks that anyone can use with the ones that are limited to those with Global Entry? They're very different kiosks.
I was returning from Singapore UA02, 11/18. GE line was bad because of conference crowd returning. Not really a problem, line usually dissolved quickly anyhow as long as the kiosks are not broken.

Did not find time for the gardens by the bay *sigh*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.