Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What kind of food can you bring into the US?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:01 am
Original Poster

What kind of food can you bring into the US?

Hi all

I tried to find some info on CBT site but there is no useful info for pax. They only had some "scary" story about someone with fruits and Mexico border being fined 300 USD but nothing clear like Australia have.

So can you tell me what can I bring into US from EU and what are the rules?

- jar of honey (organic if it matters)
- baby food by Gerber with some meat
- Nestle Sinlac - opened and not
- baby milk

As far as I understand all fruits and dried fruits are not allowed as well as meat and meat products.
We will arrive at ORD about 15:00. I think it will be peak hours and line to immigration might take about 90 minutes.
If I will leave all food on the plane my roaring kids (8m and 3yr) might speed up our customs inspection but I would like to avoid it.

Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Most plants, certain animals and certain meat or meat products are not allowed in under circumstances. Some meat products are allowed in when in quantities for personal consumption.

I regularly bring in candy, chocolates, boxed cereals, etc., but always declare them. I've also brought in baked Chinese 'bao' or buns filled with pork, but I think the inspector thought they were pastries and not meat, but I'm not sure.

I believe you can check the US Dept of Agriculture website for a more comprehensive listing of what is forbidden.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
To be practical don't bring anything opened. All canned goods normally are OK but nothing otherwise is consistently accepted. I have found that the inspectors do not really know their own rules so rather than confuse them I bring anything in a tin or a sealed jar, nothing otherwise. That seems to work. Even infant food that is opened will often be confiscated. Remember than anything that is more than 100ml must be in checked baggage. They do not accept exceptions with any consistency even is the rules provide for, say, baby formula.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: FB Platinum
I always wonder about the rationale behind these regulations. What if I just consume the stuff on the spot if it is illegal to bring them in? So it is illegal in a bag but not in a stomach?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
CBP Guidelines for bringing Agricultural Products :

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/cl..._prod_inus.xml

Just declare what you bring, baby food / formula etc.
Most likely they will let you bring them in with you without inspection.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
To the OP:

The first three items almost certainly should be allowed, and wouldn't require declaration. That said, what exactly do you mean by "baby milk?" If you mean pumped breast milk, that should be no issue at all. If you mean powdered baby formula, that should also be fine. If it is fluid milk, as in something that wasn't taken down to a powdered form, you will have a problem.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I regularly bring in candy, chocolates, boxed cereals, etc., but always declare them. I've also brought in baked Chinese 'bao' or buns filled with pork, but I think the inspector thought they were pastries and not meat, but I'm not sure.
I just don't get why you would. What you are specifically describing are all allowed and its really a waste of everyone's time to declare them. It is better to spend 30 minutes or so boning up on what is legal and what isn't and doing it that way.

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
To be practical don't bring anything opened. All canned goods normally are OK but nothing otherwise is consistently accepted. I have found that the inspectors do not really know their own rules so rather than confuse them I bring anything in a tin or a sealed jar, nothing otherwise. That seems to work. Even infant food that is opened will often be confiscated. Remember than anything that is more than 100ml must be in checked baggage. They do not accept exceptions with any consistency even is the rules provide for, say, baby formula.
If the TSA, which is definitely different from CBP who could care less how much you have in your carry-on, gives you a hard time over baby formula, you demand a supervisor and file complaints immediately.

Originally Posted by Verboten
I always wonder about the rationale behind these regulations. What if I just consume the stuff on the spot if it is illegal to bring them in? So it is illegal in a bag but not in a stomach?
You actually do have the option of consuming them on the spot. There are two main reasons you can't bring this stuff in. First is the potential to bring in various agricultural diseases and pests. This mainly applies to fruits, especially citrus and tropical fruits. The old story goes that the Mediterranean Fruit Fly came to California from some tourist who had an orange with them. May be BS, but there are very legitimate threats to agriculture by bringing in problematic fresh fruit. The second reason, and it stems from the first, is agricultural protectionism.

Anyway, if it is in your stomach, they aren't worried about it getting out anymore.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by N1120A
....I just don't get why you would. What you are specifically describing are all allowed and its really a waste of everyone's time to declare them. It is better to spend 30 minutes or so boning up on what is legal and what isn't and doing it that way. ...
simple answer: I'm a Nexus member and I am required to answer the declaration form question honestly. I've already asked the inspectors and they said if I have ANY food, I must answer the question YES on the form even if it's allowed. If I answer YES, then I get an automatic secondary to check the items.
zephyr17 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I've already asked the inspectors and they said if I have ANY food, I must answer the question YES on the form even if it's allowed. If I answer YES, then I get an automatic secondary to check the items.
When I do a form, I check "YES" and note on the form what it is (e.g. "candy", etc).

That has saved me from secondary any number of times.
zephyr17 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by N1120A
I just don't get why you would. What you are specifically describing are all allowed and its really a waste of everyone's time to declare them. It is better to spend 30 minutes or so boning up on what is legal and what isn't and doing it that way.
That's a really odd comment. The form specifically asks about "food" with a yes/no tick box. How can you suggest that you research what is "legal" to bring in and then unlawfully tick the "no" box on the basis that you are bringing in permitted food?
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
When I do a form, I check "YES" and note on the form what it is (e.g. "candy", etc).

That has saved me from secondary any number of times.
Doesn't work with Nexus - the print-out tag will refer me to secondary even if I have a plausible explanation for the answer and tell the inspector collecting forms. My option is to use the special-services line and avoid the kiosk and clear the items there, or use the kiosk and accept the secondary.

All my secondaries have taken a few moments - nothing longer than 5 minutes which is still a good 30-40 minutes less than using the regular line as a non-Nexus member.

Edited to add: I know it's not germane to this thread, but another posted wrote that Nexus members are not allowed to use Special Services or Crew Counters and either use kiosks or stand in the general lineup - this is incorrect. Nexus members may use a special-services or crew lane and bypass the general line. Info is found here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...erien-eng.html
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
The Dept. of Agriculture publishes the rules, which are well buried on their website, and details change regularly depending on things like localized disease outbreaks. In my experience dried fruits, beans, spices are allowed; some cheeses are permitted; raw milk products and pork are NEVER knowingly allowed. YMMV depending on traveler and CBP officer ignorance.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:13 pm

Edited to add: I know it's not germane to this thread, but another posted wrote that Nexus members are not allowed to use Special Services or Crew Counters and either use kiosks or stand in the general lineup - this is incorrect. Nexus members may use a special-services or crew lane and bypass the general line. Info is found here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...erien-eng.html
Those in the Nexus programme are allowed to use the special services or crew lanes when the kiosks are not working or when the Nexus member has a sticker on the back of his card indicating that he cannot use the iris scan.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
Those in the Nexus programme are allowed to use the special services or crew lanes when the kiosks are not working or when the Nexus member has a sticker on the back of his card indicating that he cannot use the iris scan.
I've not read any rule that says I cannot use the special services/crew lane when the machines are on (if I chose to for some reason) - only a rule that says I MUST if the machines are not working. I've used the special services lane before without a problem when I wanted to declare someone and avoid secondary...at least returning to the US. Maybe Canada doesn't like this. Not sure why it would matter.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA/AA
I believe all food must be prescreened for being tasteless, and having no nutritional value whatsoever.

It probably would also help if the food is packed full of preservatives and carbohydrates to better fit with USDA food protocols.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
I'm not a Nexus member but the Global Entry kiosk have now been amended and no longer ask a general question about "food". Instead, the new question is: Do you have any fruits, vegetables, plants, insects, meats or products containing meat, dairy products, animals or animal/wildlife products, disease agents, cell cultures, snails, soil; or have you visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.