Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?

Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?

Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:01 pm

Banana Trap

Same thing happened to me. I picked up a banana at Hearthrow, put it in my overcoat for a snack before the meal on the plane arrived. Forgot about it. Until the the sniffing dog came along at Dulles.

Has anyone who's also been caught in the Banana Trap tried explaining this to the authorities and gotten Global Entry reinstated? Tried doing what they say here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...T1hSVzVmOW0%3D

Anyone emailed the Trusted Traveler Ombudsman at [email protected] ?
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:29 am

I applied for GE a few years ago and was declined within 24 hours. At the time, I was totally shocked and in disbelief. I called the local processing center to get more detail, they suggested I write to the Ombudsman. I sent a letter and got a response about 2 weeks later. Their reply was generic and stated something like "Unfortunately you do not meet the requirements", no further detail given.

Of course, now I know getting caught with a can of sausage coming back from Germany many years ago ruined my chance for GE, probably forever....
Old Dec 7, 2014, 7:29 am

I applied for GE a few years ago and was declined within 24 hours. At the time, I was totally shocked and in disbelief. I called the local processing center to get more detail, they suggested I write to the Ombudsman. I sent a letter and got a response about 2 weeks later. Their reply was generic and stated something like "Unfortunately you do not meet the requirements", no further detail given.

Of course, now I know getting caught with a can of sausage coming back from Germany many years ago ruined my chance for GE, probably forever....
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
Originally Posted by Often1
Not so harsh a penalty when you consider the $millions in damage can be caused to the US agricultural industry. Try this in Australia or New Zealand and the penalty would be 10x higher.
In all fairness, I do not think the OP was trying anything. He must have just forgotten.

Went through similar experience at SFO. Was traveling with wife and baby and wife had a banana from the flight, in the baby food bag. It was detected by X-ray and not the sniffers. I was given a stern warning and they made an incident report. But I do not get 2ndary screening thereafter, so they must have expunged the record.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by siliconflyer
In all fairness, I do not think the OP was trying anything. He must have just forgotten.

Went through similar experience at SFO. Was traveling with wife and baby and wife had a banana from the flight, in the baby food bag. It was detected by X-ray and not the sniffers. I was given a stern warning and they made an incident report. But I do not get 2ndary screening thereafter, so they must have expunged the record.
Did you and your wife have GE beforehand? Now?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by 747FC
Did you and your wife have GE beforehand? Now?
The baby will be ineligible once grown up ...
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by weero
They seriously asked you not to bring any "food items"? As plainly as that?

No one travels to Belgium or Switzerland without bringing chocolate along.
The emphasis is on declaring food.
If you have GE you are considered trusted. Failing to declare food is violating the trust. That simple.

There is a long list of foods that you can bring in (I always carry a printout of the list with me), but, again, all of those have to be declared.
Just last month I brought back chocolate, coffee (roasted), cookies, and paprika (spice). Declared it all. Customs agent read my form and waived me right thru.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The difference is GE. If you aren't a GE-holder and it doesn't appear that you are a commercial smuggler, it's all dependent on the sincerity of your apology and your approach. If you are a GE-holder, the benefit is an expedited entry. The cost is that if you break the rules, you get treated more harshly and lose the privilege going forward.

I don't think that anybody intentionally smuggles bananas into the US. Those who bring one are likely to have done so in error. The only way to get people's attention is to do something which gets their attention.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:45 am

I read through all of the posts to see if there was an adequate explanation for the severity of the action but found nothing. Of course everyone should know that entire agricultural industries can be ruined by fruit flies, plant diseases, and other things attached to our food, shoes, etc. That's why they ask if you have been to rural areas, etc. I know I am on weak ground in this forum for defending the customs people, but the destruction of our food sources is not a laughing matter.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
My wife, her sister, and her sister's husband joined me on a trip to Europe earlier this year with 4 pieces of luggage amongst us. My wife and I have status and Global Entry, while they do not, and we were upgraded to business class while they were in row 99. Since we get free baggage and early delivery with my status, all 4 bags were checked to my wife and I. We live 10 minutes from SFO.

We got off the plane, cleared customs, took all of the luggage home with us and waited for them to call when they were ready to be picked up. We didn't get called until over 2 hours after we arrived home. It turned out that our brother-in-law was munching on a banana while waiting in line to exit customs after baggage claim.

Of course he was taken aside to be reprimanded for the banana, but then the fun started as he was questioned at length about how he could have just come back from a 2-week trip to Europe without any luggage.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: UA *1K
What about weed?

Is weed ok to bring in sterilized containers?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by steveman518
In the case of the banana, most commercial bananas are very genetically similar, such that if any plant disease were to spread, we would lose most of the world's banana supply (which is what happened to the type of banana that was common before the current one). Since there are plant diseases that have already wiped out banana production in several regions and will destroy the world's banana crop if spread extensively (skin thickness won't help here as in some cases spores/etc can just stick to surfaces), CPB is one step to try to prevent some of that spread (and not just bananas), resulting in increased stringency in agricultural goods (as opposed to souvenirs and some other crap you acquire from overseas). Of course CBP isn't a foolproof method, but it's better than nothing.

Just a point to consider that hasn't really been brought up in the discussion
Not sure bananas are produced in the continental us, and if they are it is a small fraction of world production.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by thesaints
Not sure bananas are produced in the continental us, and if they are it is a small fraction of world production.
Bananas are not grown commercially in the continental US. The big problem with the OP was the failure to declare. I am sure CBP's thinking is: this time he didn't declare a banana (no risk), next time he doesn't declare an orange (much bigger risk). It is Department of Agriculture's responsibility to define the risk, not the traveler, which is why they are not going to let people slip by simply because there wasn't a risk in this case. They don't want to encourage travelers to be making judgement calls.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - Delta Platinum - Hyatt Platinum - Hertz President Circle - NEXUS - Global Entry
When I was "interviewed" by US and Canadian customs for my Nexus card years ago, I was warned that the penalty would be extra harsh for any violation.

Just an FYI for anyone near the Canadian border, Nexus is only $50 for 5 years, and I get the same GE privileges. If I use the NEXUS line, I have to fill out a declaration card. So I use the GE line instead.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
If this story is true, I suspect there's a teeny bit more to it. If it happened just as described, it's just plain asinine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.