FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Caught with undeclared goods/food/fruit. Will Global Entry/NEXUS be revoked?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:50 pm
te36

Programs: UA
Loosing GE over bacon.

Thought this could a be useful & funny story:

I continue to be clueless about what food is exactly permissible to bring into CA(lifornia), so i always declare, learn and loose less and less food to the agrarian inspection. Once i brought canned sausage from DE and could keep the can with pork sausage but not he one with beef sausage. Rule: can only bring beef from few countries, like NZ). That was before becoming GE.

So then recently i had some german prosciutto, but being GE, i had to remember that on the spot when the agrarian inspector asked me. And i almost forgot it amongst the other food i had packed. Then the agrarian inspector told me that that was "of course" not allowed because it was nt fully cooked/canned. And more importantly: If i would not have mentioned it, not only would i have gotten a fine, but would have also lost GE. So i just lost $6 worth of bacon *sob*.

Long story short, it might not be a bad idea to write down all the food when packing especially because as GE you do not need to write it on the 6059B.

Last time arriving SFO, the GE line was probably > 100 people and tourist line was < 4. I wonder if one can actually jump to that shorter line (never tried to do this alone, only when traveling with non-resident co-travellers). That too would be a reason to continue filling out 6059B even as GE... Just in case.