Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nbevan
How long should one plan to allow for the interview and any other formalities?
From what I've read it sounds like it's rare for the actual interview to be longer than about 15 min, the issue is how long you might have to wait for after your allocated time. To be safe I'd be planning for an hour or potentially two... (well I will be once my app gets to the conditional approval stage!)
Old Sep 29, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: VS
Originally Posted by nbevan
How long should one plan to allow for the interview and any other formalities?
I was waiting 5 minutes (but had turned up an hour and 15 mins early) the interview itself 10 mins maximum and that included having a go on the training kiosk.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:46 am

Just seen this online ............National parks and the capital's Smithsonian museums will be closed, pension and benefits cheques will be stopped and passport applications will not be processed.

If there's anyone else like me expecting an appointment after GOES application, we might be in for a bit of a wait. The shutdown goes into force at 12.01am on Tuesday. The last time the federal government shutdown was under President Bill Clinton, when services ground to a halt for 28 days between December 1995 and January 1996.

I'd think it will also affect interviews for the time being.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Logistinger
Just seen this online ............National parks and the capital's Smithsonian museums will be closed, pension and benefits cheques will be stopped and passport applications will not be processed.

If there's anyone else like me expecting an appointment after GOES application, we might be in for a bit of a wait. The shutdown goes into force at 12.01am on Tuesday. The last time the federal government shutdown was under President Bill Clinton, when services ground to a halt for 28 days between December 1995 and January 1996.

I'd think it will also affect interviews for the time being.
The interviews are conducted by CBP officers. Unlike the State Department employees who process passport applications, CBP officers are labeled as essential employees, so they will continue to work during the shutdown.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA, Club Carlson Gold
I had my interview yesterday at MIA and got my GE approved! It took about 20 minutes and they did ask me quite a few questions based on certain countries i had been to. They were polite though and cracked a few jokes which is a very different experience from most CBP agents!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:30 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Just for those interested, I had my appointment this afternoon at MIA.
There were maybe 3 people in front of me when I arrived 10 mins before my appointment time.
After a 20 mins my name was called and I went into the room and the CBP officer asked for my documents. You are at a desk with 2 other desks where other people were being processed.

Then everything stopped. Computer systems down. All Global Entry nationally including kiosks had gone down.

I was asked to take a seat and wait. Officers came and went, more and more people arrived, but no sign of systems coming back.
After 3 hours waiting, people who had appointments for this afternoon were given letters saying we were able to come back any time for priority processing, and didn't need an appointment.

I will go back Wednesday morning, as they advised that tomorrow might not be a good day because of the government shut down.

As an aside, in case anyone is interested, MIA take walk ins. The officer said that walk ins are welcome between 3pm and 7pm and the wait time is approx 30-60 mins.

Fingers crossed mine goes through Wednesday am.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Priority Pass
Out of interest: have any of you (approved, UK) GE applicants previously visited Cuba?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Ranger,
Most unfortunate situation there, good they have a way to expedite the rearranged interview. Website was down earlier for me and now there is an official message saying 'Unavailable due to maintenance'
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Final approval letter

UK citizen & passport - total process took 39 days from California.

Request to Larry for code: Aug 22, 10.43pm
Code received: 9 hours 11 mins later
ACRO certificate application mailed from California: Aug 23
Application receipt acknowledged: Aug 28
Certificate received in California: Sept 4 (Premium Service)
Global entry application submitted: Sept 4
Email received informing me that my status had changed: Sept 23, 9.12am
Letter on the GE website confirming conditional approval: Sept 23
Interview at San Ysidro: Sept 27, 10am. Verbal approval
Letter on the GE website confirming final approval: Sept 30, after phoning the local office at San Ysidro asking when my Email confirmation would arrive. NB GE cards are not issued to UK citizens. The letter reads:

Re: Your Global Entry program Membership #98xxxxxxx

Dear Sir:

We are pleased to inform you that your U. S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Global Entry program membership has been approved. You may use the program as soon as you receive and activate your new Global Entry card.

If you enrolled in Global Entry, you may begin using the kiosk immediately. Global Entry cards are only issued to Global Entry members who are U.S. citizens, Lawful Permanent Residents or Mexican Nationals (who are not current SENTRI members). Global Entry cards are not valid at the Global Entry kiosks.

Please visit globalentry.gov to review the program criteria for detail information.

As a reminder, you must closely adhere to the program requirements and any violation of law or regulation may lead to the revocation of your program participation, and could result in the issuance of a penalty, seizure action, or criminal prosecution. Please periodically review the program requirements provided during your enrollment interview.

Thank you for applying to the CBP's Trusted Traveler Programs. For more information regarding Global Entry, please contact an enrollment center nearest you, or visit globalentry.gov.

Respectfully,

XXXX
Director, Trusted Traveler Programs
U. S. Customs and Border Protection
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by janders
Out of interest: have any of you (approved, UK) GE applicants previously visited Cuba?
Yes, I have, ditto North Korea, Iran, Syria. Oh and Venezuela!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, I have, ditto North Korea, Iran, Syria. Oh and Venezuela!
Thanks for the info. And... nice combo!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Request to Larry for code: 15 Aug 14:09
Code received: 15 Aug 19:39
ACRO certificate application mailed: 21 Aug
Application receipt acknowledged: 27 Aug
Certificate received: 04 Sep (Standard Service)
Global entry application submitted: 09 Sep
Email received informing me that my status had changed: NOT YET - STILL PENDING
Letter on the GE website confirming conditional approval: NOT YET - STILL PENDING
Appointment made for interview: NOT YET - STILL PENDING

I think I must be in a huge queue of brits with applications pending review. Based on progress reported by others who have now been conditionally approved, I would have thought I should be conditionally approved any day now...
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:34 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
So I went back to MIA this morning, as a walk in. I arrived at 10.45am, one person in line in front of me, and no one was being processed in the office, which you can see through the blinds separating the waiting room from the interview room. There were about 4 CBP officers in the office, having a good chinwag.

Eventually an officer came out with the clipboard and asked for names, and I handed over my special pass that said I was able to come any time due to the computer outage on Monday. No issue there.

Had my interview - I was standing at the desk about 20 mins. One thing I did notice is that UK and other foreign nationals take a lot longer to process. A Mexican guy standing next to me took about the same time as me. An American lady who came in after me, was finished before me.
I was asked about travel history to Canada and Mexico, why I come to the USA so much, how I support myself on the trips etc, why I have an address in the USA. Nothing too taxing.

Anyway, it all went through and I was approved as I stood at the desk. I got the email confirmation as I was walking out of the terminal.

Good luck to everyone else waiting...

(as an aside, the officer was adamant I would get a GE card, even though I know this isn't true for UKC's and you don't need one anyway).
Old Oct 2, 2013, 10:26 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by billinghamn
I think I must be in a huge queue of brits with applications pending review. Based on progress reported by others who have now been conditionally approved, I would have thought I should be conditionally approved any day now...
Not necessarily - my application went in on 5th September. Looks like many moved to conditional approval from that date and before on the same day, so it might be they come through in batches every few weeks. Still doesn't stop me checking several times a day in the hope I can get an appointment when I'm in the US in three weeks!
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA 3MM, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Not necessarily - my application went in on 5th September. Looks like many moved to conditional approval from that date and before on the same day, so it might be they come through in batches every few weeks. Still doesn't stop me checking several times a day in the hope I can get an appointment when I'm in the US in three weeks!
I am in a similar situation - but a few days behind you.
Does anyone know whether the 'shutdown' is now holding up the processing?
I have a trip coming up at the end of next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.