Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - US Citizens & LPRs First Time Applicants' Timelines & Information

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Messeages posted in this thread between 2010 and 2018 were archived and can be found here:
Print Wikipost

Global Entry - US Citizens & LPRs First Time Applicants' Timelines & Information

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elc2414
You've been very fortunate on your re-entry experiences. What airports are you flying in to? What kind of plane? All my international trips except for one have been on wide body jets with hundreds of people on board into major gateways like LAX, DFW, ORD, JFK, BOS - no way are you getting through border control in 5 minutes even if you are sitting in the front of the plane. My average entry time is 20 - 30 minutes even with mobile passport.
On TPAC flights and TATL (big planes -- mostly 777s or 380s, definitely hundreds of people on board): Usually SFO. SEA once.
From Mexico and Central America (narrowbodies): DFW once, SFO a few times. DFW was a strange one -- I was connecting through to SFO and all the time was really just to wait for my bags so I could carry them through and re-check them. Everything else was super quick. My understanding is that now you don't even have to pick up your bags in DFW in that situation any more?

My one long wait was on a 777 coming back to SFO from HKG, about 3 weeks ago (during the shutdown), when they had 2 or 3 agents working in the "citizens" line. Even then, "long" was only 30 minutes -- it really wasn't that bad. Every other time, it's taken me longer to fight with the kiosk (I can never get that thing to work for some reason) than to get through the line after the kiosk.

I found that when they opened the kiosks to all citizens and permanent residents a few years ago, the lines got a lot shorter.

EDIT: There is now an alert on the sign-in page

The extended partial government shutdown has resulted in a substantial backlog of CBP's Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) applications and renewals.
Applicants for Global Entry (GE), SENTRI, NEXUS and FAST should expect significant delays in application processing times and limited appointment availability at TTP enrollment centers.
Conditionally approved GE members should seek to complete their GE interviews without an appointment upon arrival from an international flight at any of the 49 airports participating in CBP's Enrollment on Arrival (EoA) program.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:06 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Topic Drift

Folks,

When posting in this thread, please keep in mind FlyerTalk Rule 5 and stay on topic.

While some limited natural deviation from the subject is fine, this thread is about processing timelines of first time Global Entry applicants.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/ Security co-moderator
xhemp likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by nickyhere
Officially approved: Feb 4, 2019 (I was given my KTN at the conclusion of my interview) !
You actually get your KTN a lot sooner then that - it is the membership number / PASSID number on your application though it is only usable once you have been formally approved after the interview.

Just curious - how did you get an interview 3 days after approval? Did you do enrollment on entry or were you just lucky to be able to schedule an interview that quickly?
It can happen. When I got my CA last year and went to schedule the first appointment was the same day - I would have loved to have done that but travel arrangements precluded it.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:57 pm

Submitted and paid December 1st. I’m not terribly surprised mine is ina late batch, I misspelled a street address by one letter, have had lots of moves with school/residency, and my husband and I are currently filing for his adjustment of status. The wait is hard though.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:52 pm

Just curious - how did you get an interview 3 days after approval? Did you do enrollment on entry or were you just lucky to be able to schedule an interview that quickly?
I live in New York and it’s fairly easy for me to get to JFK from my home, so I just scheduled my appointment there instead of the GE enrollment center in lower Manhattan. I could have made a next-day appointment if I wanted, JFK had lots of appointment slots available! If you live near a major airport, I’d suggest going there instead of a local office in your town or city.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:58 am

Update: Applied on November 21, 2018, Got approval 2/08/2019 , Schedule interview for 2/17/2019...

Good Luck everyone.....
elc2414 and xhemp like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:43 am

FINALLY Conditional approval just arrived in the last 30 min...

Applied on Nov 17 with wife.... She got hers in about a week.. Me, Not so fast, lol

Headed to SFO tomorrow to wait in the 'Walk in line' In the area so I will just wait my turn...

Just shy of 3 months..
elc2414 and xhemp like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by nickyhere

I live in New York and it’s fairly easy for me to get to JFK from my home, so I just scheduled my appointment there instead of the GE enrollment center in lower Manhattan. I could have made a next-day appointment if I wanted, JFK had lots of appointment slots available! If you live near a major airport, I’d suggest going there instead of a local office in your town or city.
Nearest airport to me with GE office is 200+ miles away. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that it gets approved between now and the time we re-enter at LAX 3 weeks from today so I can do enrollment on entry.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
My timeline:
Applied on November 21
Payment accepted on the same date
Realized I had omitted my home country from the list of visited nations on February 5
Went into a panic mode on Feb 6
Conditionally approved on Feb 7
Interview and approved on Feb 8
Questions during the interview:
1. Do you meet the Queen often?
2. Why do you want Global Entry?
3. What is knackered?
4. Do many people speak English in Hillingdon?Overall long but painless experience.

Last edited by luitje; Feb 8, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by luitje
Questions during the interview:
1. Do you meet the Queen often?
2. Why do you want Global Entry?
3. What is knackered?
4. Do many people speak English in Hillingdon?Overall long but painless experience.
Those are interesting questions. Was this an attempt for you to prove being British despite your passport?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by synthkeys
Those are interesting questions. Was this an attempt for you to prove being British despite your passport?
I think number 2 was the only interview question. CBP officer seemed to be genuinely curious and then confused by a couple of words I used.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:19 pm

Unbelievable wait considering I have a clean record. Applied for Global Entry Nov 2 with wife who was unconditionally approved in 4 days and passed interview.

Now 101 days!!!!! Unable to talk to a real person on the phone. No responses from email complaints. Don't waste your time. I am sure they have lost me within the system, but this is your government at work, folks! Very frustrating since we applied Nov. 2, being what we thought was proactive for a mid February trip!
elc2414 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:52 pm

My two month old baby applied early December still with no approval so I don’t think there is a certain pattern or anything.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:15 am

I applied for Global Entry on January 30, 2019 and still no approval. My fiance was approved in less than a week and same story with my father and stepmother. I'm really hoping to be approved by end of the week since we have our honeymoon coming up in March. Keeping my fingers crossed....

Has anyone noticed a delay due to the government shutdown? Any tips to speed up the conditional approval so I can schedule the interview?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:12 pm

Up Date on my interview.

to back up just a bit

applied with wife on Nov 17

hers was conditional aproved a week later - had her interview (scheduled) in Las Vegas during a visit there on Dec 18.

I Finally got Condition approval on Feb 8, really No available app at SFO anytime in the near future.

Took a chance and drove to SFO (80 miles) arrived for the 'walk in line'

within 5 min , officer came out and took my name.

within 15 min, got interview which lasted mabe 5 mins

Approved - Good to go.

Great experence overall
elc2414 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.