Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry vs NEXUS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Isn't Nexus better, cheaper than Global Entry?

As for getting precheck, Isn't getting a nexus card even cheaper? I think its $50. Cheaper than GE and precheck and works similar to GE.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 3, 2018 at 10:40 pm Reason: splitting off OT discussion
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3
As for getting precheck, Isn't getting a nexus card even cheaper? I think its $50. Cheaper than GE and precheck and works similar to GE.
Nexus is indeed cheaper, but you have to do part of the process with Canada as well. It's not very practical for people who either aren't living near Canada or don't travel through Canada to do the scan. I haven't checked it for a couple of years now, maybe they've improved it to allow you to do the full application more places in the states now, it was only a few places along the Canadian border. Another thing that a few people may have to consider with Nexus is that a DUI in their record would exclude them from Nexus and even could prevent them from entering Canada at all.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 3, 2018 at 10:50 pm Reason: splittng off OT discussion
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Nexus is indeed cheaper, but you have to do part of the process with Canada as well....
I thought that you only had to goto Canada to do the Iris scan which is only required if you want to use Nexus to enter Canada. Otherwise it would work the same as GE, only good for entry into the US and TSA-pre. I had done this research way back when UA cut the GE benefit for Plat+ and I was considering what I would do when my GE expires (next year) so it has been a while.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 3, 2018 at 10:49 pm Reason: splitting off OT discussion
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Nexus is indeed cheaper, but you have to do part of the process with Canada as well. It's not very practical for people who either aren't living near Canada or don't travel through Canada to do the scan. I haven't checked it for a couple of years now, maybe they've improved it to allow you to do the full application more places in the states now, it was only a few places along the Canadian border. Another thing that a few people may have to consider with Nexus is that a DUI in their record would exclude them from Nexus and even could prevent them from entering Canada at all.
I t

I thought that you only had to goto Canada to do the Iris scan which is only required if you want to use Nexus to enter Canada. Otherwise it would work the same as GE, only good for entry into the US and TSA-pre. I had done this research way back when UA cut the GE benefit for Plat+ and I was considering what I would do when my GE expires (next year) so it has been a while.
eng3, you are incorrect. Applying is the same as for GE, through the trusted traveler portal, but then you need to do an interview at a Nexus location, as you talk to a US and Canadian official at the same time, and only Nexus offices have both. Nexus offices are mostly only on the US/Canada birder, and Canadian airports. The only office in the US not on the border is Seattle, I beleive. Theres also a non-airport/border office in dowrown Vancouver.

Iris scans need to be done at a full Nexus office, also, and I dont think those on the Us side have them at all. But interviewing without an iris scan needs to be at a Nexus office. I havent tried, as I use my Nexus to its full extent, however, Id guess the US side is aware that people may try to take advantage of the lower fee and wont allow it. YMMV, I guess.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Another thing that a few people may have to consider with Nexus is that a DUI in their record would exclude them from Nexus and even could prevent them from entering Canada at all.
This is no joke. A friend of mine was attempting to apply for a Nexus pass and was literally turned away at the boarder (I believe he was attempting to cross at the Peace Bridge) because of a DUI from greater than 20 years ago. He didn't even think it was still on his record as at the time if you were clean for something like 10 years it dropped of the PUBLIC record. He now has had to hire an attorney as he does business in Canada.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
eng3, you are incorrect. Applying is the same as for GE, through the trusted traveler portal, but then you need to do an interview at a Nexus location, as you talk to a US and Canadian official at the same time, and only Nexus offices have both. Nexus offices are mostly only on the US/Canada birder, and Canadian airports. The only office in the US not on the border is Seattle, I beleive. There’s also a non-airport/border office in dowrown Vancouver.

Iris scans need to be done at a full Nexus office, also, and I don’t think those on the Us side have them at all. But interviewing without an iris scan needs to be at a Nexus office. I haven’t tried, as I use my Nexus to its full extent, however, I’d guess the US side is aware that people may try to take advantage of the lower fee and won’t allow it. YMMV, I guess.

I don't claim to be an expert, I only quickly looked into this when UA cut the GE benefit. However, what part am I incorrect. So if I understand correctly, you apply online, pay $50, goto a Nexus location for an interview. (US locations exist but may not be convenient to get to). IRIS scans only exist on the Canada side but are only required for entering Canada, you can still use it at GE kiosks when entering the US and still get the TSA-pre benefit (the original topic of this thread).
Is that correct?

Assuming one can easily get to a Nexus location (and are eligible), that seems to be the cheapest option for TSA-pre and you get a "GE equiv" for less money than it costs for TSA-pre alone.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I don't claim to be an expert, I only quickly looked into this when UA cut the GE benefit. However, what part am I incorrect. So if I understand correctly, you apply online, pay $50, goto a Nexus location for an interview. (US locations exist but may not be convenient to get to). IRIS scans only exist on the Canada side but are only required for entering Canada, you can still use it at GE kiosks when entering the US and still get the TSA-pre benefit (the original topic of this thread).
Is that correct?

Assuming one can easily get to a Nexus location (and are eligible), that seems to be the cheapest option for TSA-pre and you get a "GE equiv" for less money than it costs for TSA-pre alone.
My apologies...misinterpreted your post when I read it initially as you can get a reduced price GE by applying for Nexus, then interviewing at a GE location close to you (which I realize now that I think about it you can't even do, since the system will only let you book an interview at a full Nexus location if that's what you applied for). Yes, if you are willing to go to a Nexus location for the interview, then yes, you certainly can apply at the lower rate, do the interview at a Nexus office, and use it only like anyone else uses GE. For most, however, the savings likely wouldn't be worth it, unless you are planning on being by a Nexus office anyway...because you'll still have to go to the border. So unless you live fairly close, it's probably not worth it. If you live in say, Orlando, you're going to end up paying much more than GE or TSA Pre if you have to go out of your way to travel for an interview.

As to the iris scans....those are actually only for entering Canada by air. If you don't want an iris scan, you can still use Nexus to enter Canada by land border, or even by sea, I believe (though never tried that).
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:52 am

Agreed, if you live near or plan to be near a Nexus location, then $50 is certainly cheaper than GE or TSA-pre.

I still have over a year left on my GE. I don't think it will be too difficult for me to just plan ahead and create a "clever routing" so I'm near a nexus location when the time comes.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: NEXUS
NEXUS and Global Entry Benefits

Hello,
I am enrolled in NEXUS since I travel frequently to and from Canada via Maine border crossings. I now have an added piece to my job which involves international travel every so often to Europe. I do not believe I am able to use my NEXUS card coming back from Europe at Global Entry kiosks in the US (am I?), and if I am not, can I enroll in Global Entry in addition to NEXUS to get that benefit? If so, how do I do that? Can I be enrolled in both programs?

Apologies if this has already been answered, I could not find the answer in the threads.

Thanks,

Ryan
Trh
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by RSmith8
Hello,
I am enrolled in NEXUS since I travel frequently to and from Canada via Maine border crossings. I now have an added piece to my job which involves international travel every so often to Europe. I do not believe I am able to use my NEXUS card coming back from Europe at Global Entry kiosks in the US (am I?), and if I am not, can I enroll in Global Entry in addition to NEXUS to get that benefit? If so, how do I do that? Can I be enrolled in both programs?

Apologies if this has already been answered, I could not find the answer in the threads.

Thanks,

Ryan
Trh
If you're Canadian and enrolled in NEXUS that way, you are automatically also enrolled in Global Entry and are able to use your passport at Global Entry Kiosks to enter the US. There's several existing threads on this forum about that too if you search.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:11 pm

Hello,

Thanks,

Ryan
Trh
Welcome to FlyerTalk @RSmith8 !

All current NEXUS members are eligible to use Global Entry kiosks once they provide fingerprints and document information to CBP. If CBP already has your fingerprints and document information on file, you can use Global Entry kiosks without further action and at no additional cost.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...lobal-entry%3F
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
You absolutely can use the GE kiosks in the US as long as your fingerprints were taken. I use them all the time (I am Canadian) coming into the US from international flights and at pre-clearance Canadian airports. Your Nexus includes full GE benefits.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:15 pm

Thanks. I am a US Citizen- the website made it seem like NEXUS is only valid coming back to the US from Canadian airports or land borders. Thus, if I am traveling back from, say, Ireland, and have NEXUS Card, I can use that at Global Entry Kiosks at US airports just as if it were a Global Entry Card? I did give NEXUS fingerprints when I enrolled.

Thanks for the clarification on this!

Ryan
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Thanks. I am a US Citizen- the website made it seem like NEXUS is only valid coming back to the US from Canadian airports or land borders. Thus, if I am traveling back from, say, Ireland, and have NEXUS Card, I can use that at Global Entry Kiosks at US airports just as if it were a Global Entry Card? I did give NEXUS fingerprints when I enrolled.

Thanks for the clarification on this!

Ryan
Yes, absolutely. As I said, I use it entering the US from International flights all the time. No problem at all. GE is an included benefit of Nexus.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:19 pm

Thanks Finkface, I didn't see your reply when I sent my last message. This is great to know.

-Ryan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.