FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Entry vs NEXUS
View Single Post
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:43 am
eng3

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by emcampbe
eng3, you are incorrect. Applying is the same as for GE, through the trusted traveler portal, but then you need to do an interview at a Nexus location, as you talk to a US and Canadian official at the same time, and only Nexus offices have both. Nexus offices are mostly only on the US/Canada birder, and Canadian airports. The only office in the US not on the border is Seattle, I beleive. There’s also a non-airport/border office in dowrown Vancouver.

Iris scans need to be done at a full Nexus office, also, and I don’t think those on the Us side have them at all. But interviewing without an iris scan needs to be at a Nexus office. I haven’t tried, as I use my Nexus to its full extent, however, I’d guess the US side is aware that people may try to take advantage of the lower fee and won’t allow it. YMMV, I guess.

I don't claim to be an expert, I only quickly looked into this when UA cut the GE benefit. However, what part am I incorrect. So if I understand correctly, you apply online, pay $50, goto a Nexus location for an interview. (US locations exist but may not be convenient to get to). IRIS scans only exist on the Canada side but are only required for entering Canada, you can still use it at GE kiosks when entering the US and still get the TSA-pre benefit (the original topic of this thread).
Is that correct?

Assuming one can easily get to a Nexus location (and are eligible), that seems to be the cheapest option for TSA-pre and you get a "GE equiv" for less money than it costs for TSA-pre alone.