Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry vs NEXUS

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 6:55 am

You'll probably get an interview anyway, but at least you won't have to go to Canada, the border, or BFI in Seattle for the interview.

I've 'renewed' a NEXUS into GE and it was completely painless. I did have to get re-interviewed but I had moved three times and let my NEXUS expire, so I was expecting it.
Old May 12, 2016, 7:40 am
sjl

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Thanks for the feedback. I'll go the GE route and see what happens then. I haven't been traveling much on MRs to/fr Canada anymore anyway.
Old May 18, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I will be in the same boat next year. I have Nexus, as I used to work for a Canadian company, and while I don't mind renewing Nexus if it doesn't require a new interview, I would prefer to pay the $100 and just renew GE if renewing Nexus requires me to fly to a boarder location.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I will be in the same boat next year. I have Nexus, as I used to work for a Canadian company, and while I don't mind renewing Nexus if it doesn't require a new interview, I would prefer to pay the $100 and just renew GE if renewing Nexus requires me to fly to a boarder location.
There's no specific set of circumstances that guarantees you won't need to be re-interviewed. A lot of people get renewals without an interview, but a lot of people in very similar circumstances don't.

If you don't need to use the NEXUS line entering Canada and don't travel to Seattle, a big city in Canada or anywhere along the border enough to slip the appointment in, just pay the extra $50 and get GE. The criteria from USCBP are identical--if you can get NEXUS you can get GE. (The converse isn't necessarily true--in theory, one could be denied NEXUS but approved for GE based on a non-criminal run-in with CBSA)
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:51 pm

Global Entry or Nexus

Hi,

I can't seem to find an definitive answer either at GE or Nexus site so I hope someone can shed light on my situation below.

I am a Canadian passport holder working and living in Boston. I also hold a greencard (10 year) since 2014. My question:

1. Do I have the option to pick either of the two? I live in Boston so go to Logan is definitely easier than Toronto for interview.
2. In case I go for global entry and in case I give up the US greencard in the future, does my global entry become void automatically?
3. I don't do extensive international travel, two to three times a year (except for US-Canada trip). Does this lower my chance to obtain either of the two.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by frakie20
Hi,

I can't seem to find an definitive answer either at GE or Nexus site so I hope someone can shed light on my situation below.

I am a Canadian passport holder working and living in Boston. I also hold a greencard (10 year) since 2014. My question:

1. Do I have the option to pick either of the two? I live in Boston so go to Logan is definitely easier than Toronto for interview.
2. In case I go for global entry and in case I give up the US greencard in the future, does my global entry become void automatically?
3. I don't do extensive international travel, two to three times a year (except for US-Canada trip). Does this lower my chance to obtain either of the two.
1. You can choose either. Keep in mind Global Entry does not help with land crossings into Canada, nor does it get you CATSA priority access at Canadian airports, yet it costs twice as much. OTOH, NEXUS includes all GE privileges.

2. Canadians without permanent residence are not eligible for GE. Whether or not the system is smart enough to void it automatically, you would not be allowed to use it at that point. And there is a good chance it would be automatically cancelled. NEXUS, OTOH, you can keep solely by virtue of being a Canadian citizen.

3. No. There is no formal frequent travel requirement for either program. You'll be asked why you want it, but as a Canadian living in the US, convenient border crossings (both ways with NEXUS, into the US only with GE) is both an obvious reason and more than sufficient to satisfy the examiners.

For my money, I'd recommend NEXUS in your case.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
NEXUS all the way.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: GE
If you are going to Canada any time soon, go for NEXUS.

Originally Posted by txviking
1. You can choose either. Keep in mind Global Entry does not help with land crossings into Canada, nor does it get you CATSA priority access at Canadian airports, yet it costs twice as much. OTOH, NEXUS includes all GE privileges.
The CATSA indicates that Global Entry members are eligible as well.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I had GE originally and at the 3 year mark I "renewed" via Nexus and find it truly is the more benefits for half the price situation.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 10:14 am

Thank you all for your insights.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txviking
... Global Entry does not help with land crossings into Canada ...
Seems at odds with this quote on the GE website, https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...sked-questions:

Must I obtain a Global Entry card?

No, it is not necessary to obtain a Global Entry card to continue using Global Entry at airport kiosks. A card is only required for expedited entry at the SENTRI and NEXUS lanes coming into the United States.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: A few, *G,
He said crossing into Canada. No Nexus card, no entry to the Canadian Nexus lane.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Definitely NEXUS. I live in California and travel to Canada occasionally. I have Global Entry first, now NEXUS also. I will renew NEXUS only.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:15 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Global Entry vs NEXUS?

Friends,

I am in Rochester NY helping an elderly friend. One of the things she had started was a Global Entry application.

As I was checking online, it appears as though NEXUS gives more privileges (including Global Entry Benefits) but only costs $50 vs $100.

Is there any reason why she should do Global Entry instead of NEXUS? For either, she would be travelling to Niagara Falls area for interview.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by wharvey
Friends,

I am in Rochester NY helping an elderly friend. One of the things she had started was a Global Entry application.

As I was checking online, it appears as though NEXUS gives more privileges (including Global Entry Benefits) but only costs $50 vs $100.

Is there any reason why she should do Global Entry instead of NEXUS? For either, she would be travelling to Niagara Falls area for interview.

Thanks for any advice.
If I were she, I would apply NEXUS only, not Global Entry. The only reason she would apply for Global Entry is reimbursement. Credit card companies usually only reimburse GE $100 application fee every four years instead of $50 NEXUS application fee. GE conditional approval time is currently two weeks and NEXUS is two months.

Here is an existing thread on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=22732

Last edited by 1KChinito; Nov 22, 2016 at 11:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.