Community
Wiki Posts
Search

idiotic response from airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 7:58 am
Original Poster

idiotic response from airlines

Recently had a friend of mine's who flown back to Toronoto from US and was scheduled to arrive around 11:30PM. Unbelievably, he didn't arrived until 2:30AM. A complaint was sent to the airlines and here's what they response:

".....Our information from XXXXXX Airlines is that Air Traffic Control could not dispatch the flight on time due to additional air spacing requirements, along this flight route. This is not to say the weather was bad in either city.

Unfortunately, weather related situations are beyond our control....

Sincerely,

Jxxxxx Rxxxxxxx
Customer Relations"

Do they even have an idea what they're saying?! ya, like weather related situations are beyond their control, but before that, they just said WEATHER WASN'T BAD IN EITHER CITY!!! It's clearly that the airlines is trying to avoid the responsibilities!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by kaychiu
Recently had a friend of mine's who flown back to Toronoto from US and was scheduled to arrive around 11:30PM. Unbelievably, he didn't arrived until 2:30AM. A complaint was sent to the airlines and here's what they response:

".....Our information from XXXXXX Airlines is that Air Traffic Control could not dispatch the flight on time due to additional air spacing requirements, along this flight route. This is not to say the weather was bad in either city.

Unfortunately, weather related situations are beyond our control....

Sincerely,

Jxxxxx Rxxxxxxx
Customer Relations"

Do they even have an idea what they're saying?! ya, like weather related situations are beyond their control, but before that, they just said WEATHER WASN'T BAD IN EITHER CITY!!! It's clearly that the airlines is trying to avoid the responsibilities!

The response makes sense to me. They are saying that although the weather at the origin and destination airport was fine, the weather along the route required additional spacing restrictions. These restrictions resulted in fewer aircraft being able to pass through at any given time and created subsequent delays.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: AC E (depressed former SE), Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TEX277

The response makes sense to me. They are saying that although the weather at the origin and destination airport was fine, the weather along the route required additional spacing restrictions. These restrictions resulted in fewer aircraft being able to pass through at any given time and created subsequent delays.

Makes sense to me too. For example, I believe that flights coming into PHL are heavily influenced by the weather in the NYC area, due to the high volume of traffic in that corridor. So in this case, the weather PHL and YYZ might be fine, but if the weather at NYC is crummy, then there would likely be a delay.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ATC sets minimum spacing between aircraft based on conditions in-flight. It most definitely is a weather issue, though not necessarily related to weather in either the arrival or departure city. This was a perfectly appropriate response and, needless to say, the situation was out of the direct* control of the airline.

* I say "direct" because spacing issues relate to the number of aircraft in the air and, with airlines going to smaller aircraft and more frequent schedules, they contribute to the problem.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:11 am

Programs: AC.SE
There can also be delays due to spacing requirements unrelated to weather anywhere. The departure of my BKK-ZRH flight a few days ago was delayed because of increased traffic over Afghanistan.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:20 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
welcome to FlyerTalk. I would move this to another forum since it is really not a trip report, but a question about the workings of ATC. You have received some accurate answers - the weather in route is just as important as the weather in your beginning and ending cities. I'm going to close this in light of the explanations, but if you would like further explanation, feel free to send me a private message and I can have an air traffic controller explain further, iif you'd like.

l'etoile
Trip Reports moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.