Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to London for the Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

UA to London for the Weekend

Just back from a PIT>IAD>LHR>ORD>PIT two night weekend away - here's some of the good and bad of the trip.

Bad: PIT>IAD - lack of information from gate agents on the tenuous weather situation - and my inability to determine whether I was going to be able to make my nearly 10pm connection at IAD. I made it with the help of constant UA 'easy' updates on my mobile.

Good: Instead of arriving at UAX Terminal A at IAD, we arrived at Terminal C - and the last minute dash to the flight wasn't as harrowing as I thought it would be.

Bad: Flight jammed up - and all of the E+ seats were taken - so much for stretching out with an empty seat next to me.

Bad: Delayed departure on the tarmac at IAD - waiting for 'the numbers' and the chance of arriving a half hour early ended up putting us late at the gate. We were scheduled in at 10am London time; got there about 10:30am.

Bad: Just indifferent service from the FA's. Also, what's with the plastic gloves to retrieve trays, cups and cans - are we contagious in coach?

Good: Quick line through immigration and fast baggage delivery to carousel.

Good: Discounted HEX tickets - bought online - printed out as expected once I punched in the confirmation code.

Good: Short taxi line at Paddington.

Good: Got right in to my room at the Cumberland Hotel.

Bad: Couldn't get a seat at the bar at Le Caprice.

Good: Rain held off for most of the weekend - and somewhat sunny skies and comfortable temps prevailed.

Good: Hotel wake up calls all delivered.

Good: Hotel guest suggested we split taxi ride to Paddington - had a nice chat too.

Good: UA Check in fast and easy.

Bad: LHR/Terminal 3 security line - all the way down the corridor and even down some of the stairs - past 'Boots'. I figured an hour; took 50 minutes.

Bad: Clueless passenger ahead of me in security line waits until she's almost through before opening suitcase, re-arranging stuff, emptying pockets, etc - taking way too much time. Why are so many people clueless?

Bad: Ridiculous line to buy a newspaper after navigating shopping-mall-masquerading-as-airport-terminal. Really - the 'hard sell' at Terminal 3 is a turn-off and over-the-top.

Good: SAS/Air Canada Lounge - a sea of tranquility amidst the storm of high street commerce a few feet away. But why can't I get a bottle of Voss?

Good: Check in at gate gets me last minute upgrade to C. Nice. I'm a P1 and though the op-ups are few and far between - this one was a nice and welcome surprise. Thanks.

Good: C Class Service was warm and professional. I thanked the strikingly good looking female purser and told her I was impressed with the way she handled everything.

Good: My tray wasn't removed by a plastic gloved FA.

Good: On time arrival at ORD and relatively quick immigration line.

Good: Luggage was out on belt quickly and UA transfer staff was 'on it' when I came through - bag was scanned and then transferred.

Good: Priority security line at Terminal 1 was quick and efficient.

Bad: Departing connection to PIT scheduled for 6:15pm was delayed until 8:45pm.

Very Bad: At PIT gate at 11:07pm - my bag didn't hit the belt until 11:50pm.

Bad: Charging $3 to get a baggage cart.

Good: My new Volvo left in the airport parking lot was unscathed/unscratched.

Good: Drive home was uneventful - though I had been up approximately 24 hours.

Good: Plopping bags down and climbing in to my own 'five star' bed.

Bad: Work phone call at 7am this morning.

Good: Overall experience.

Last edited by pdx42; Oct 27, 2006 at 5:53 pm
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Good work on the op-up! ^
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Were you on 949 today (Monday)? If so, where were you sitting?

Also was at the SAS lounge using the computer. But when I was done and went to the RCC, the agent did let me into the IFL. ^

Did the same "quickie" to LHR this weekend. The rain did suck, however.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Were you on 949 today (Monday)? If so, where were you sitting?

Also was at the SAS lounge using the computer. But when I was done and went to the RCC, the agent did let me into the IFL. ^

Did the same "quickie" to LHR this weekend. The rain did suck, however.
yes, i was on 949 - but came back sunday. i sat in 15d
Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by pdx42
Good: Got right in to my room at the Cumberland Hotel.

Good: Hotel wake up calls all delivered.
My parents stayed at the Cumberland on their honeymoon 61 years ago. I am happy to hear it is still a good place.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), AA Gold
Great report - I see that you "value" the same things as me and get irked by the same things as well. Short taxi line at Paddington is a big bonus, and clueless people in security lines drive me nuts (just like people that take forever to gather up their things before deplaning while holding up everyone behind them).

Thanks for sharing!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austin FF
Great report - I see that you "value" the same things as me and get irked by the same things as well. Short taxi line at Paddington is a big bonus, and clueless people in security lines drive me nuts (just like people that take forever to gather up their things before deplaning while holding up everyone behind them).

Thanks for sharing!
Hi.
I'm a fairly frequent traveler who doesn't let too much get to me; but when I see others who should know better, I get ticked off.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pete
My parents stayed at the Cumberland on their honeymoon 61 years ago. I am happy to hear it is still a good place.
Grand old building is looking pretty good. It had a significant renovation a couple of years ago - and is very comtemporary looking on the inside - part of the Le Meridien art/tech design - so it's lost some of it's original grandeur - but the rooms are contemporary, clean and thoughtfully designed - not a bad choice. I've stayed there before and while the immediate area around Marble Arch looks a bit 'tired' it's still a decent/safe central location.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:58 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Moved to Trip Reports, thanks.

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Oct 25, 2006, 10:13 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
I know it looks a bit disgusting, but I think it's a good thing when F/As use plastic gloves to collect meal trays/cups because it keeps germs from spreading. It also means when F/As are handling clean cups or trays their hands are clean. But I think the key is they need to be disposable gloves and they shouldn't be using the gloves to serve, only to collect.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Good stuff. Nice to know you got a free upgrade...
Old Oct 27, 2006, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA
WHat a great trip report! Very different format to normal, but surprisingly easy to read and informative!

Thanks pdx42!!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonderful, and congrats on the op-up! ^
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks...

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
WHat a great trip report! Very different format to normal, but surprisingly easy to read and informative!

Thanks pdx42!!
...for the compliment - much appreciated. I also had breakfast at the High Road House in Chiswick - quite good and a nice departure from the normal 'spots.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.