Search

Trip report IAH-MAD-IAH, BF

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO, CO PC, NW, HHonors, Hertz Gold, Marriott
Trip report IAH-MAD-IAH, BF

IAH-MAD, SEP 4, 2004

International BF check in was uneventful in terminal C. BF has their own check-in desk and security line. Nice, since the rest of Terminal C check in was busy (as usual). Walked up and headed through security and was on my way to the PC.

CO 62 IAH-EWR
B737-300, gate C36
South president's club for a drink and relaxation before takeoff.
One of the BF concierge's met with me at my seat, 1F, to make sure everything was OK. So far, so good. I didn't anticipate any special needs upon arrival, so I told her thanks for checking.

Hot towel time. Had a nice snack with soup and salad. No IFE on this equipment, so I slept the rest of the flight.

Smooth flight from Houston. Uneventful, flight arrived early, 15 minutes. Had time to enjoy a drink at the PC, the large one in terminal C.

CO 62 EWR-MAD
B777-200, gate C121
Boarded the crowded gate, C121, for a full Y flight to Madrid. BF had about 5 seats empty. BF is definitely the way to fly! Flight time is 6.3 hours. I head to my seat 2K.

The concierge goes through the cabin a few times to make sure everyone is OK and to enjoy the flight.

A friendly FA asks what I would like to drink and another brings the menu and amenity kit. A little after that blankets are passed around.

Hot towel time. Choose to have the Executive meal option, starting with a salad and shrimp and crab cocktail (bread basket is around as well), with the duck as the entre with bok choy, carrots and spinach. Appetizer and entre were excellent. The duck was a good sized portion and veggies were nicely finished. Had a nice merlot with dinner, the wines have improved. Finished off with some bleu and camembert cheese and a glass of port. Of course, one must have an ice cream sundae (hot fudge)! Cobbler with ice cream is another nice option. Before settling down for the nap, I took a rest room break, to see a FA sitting down enjoying some ice cream. I smile and ask if things were OK and if she was enjoying herself. She was a little startled but was nice about it all. I was going into the lavatory and she pointed out that the larger one (handicap accessible) was available. The Sky Snacks look decent, chips, biscotti, crackers and plenty of bottles of water. I thanked her and used the roomy facility. A few movies were the option. I watched Kill Bill vol. 2.
Now time for a quick nap, 4.5 hours left with the flight.

The new 777 BF (almost flat beds) are nice, the flat mode is best for sleeping on your side. If you press the middle quick position button a couple of times, you can make it where you don't feel like sliding down.
Breakfast was a fruit plate, croissant (cinnamon rolls are also available) and some hot tea.

MAD-IAH, SEP 19, 2004

CO 63, MAD-EWR
B777-200, gate A8
Checking in at MAD is a bit hectic. All airlines use common check in counters (with a few exceptions). CO's check in counter is 121-125. Hint, look on the Departures monitor for your airline check-in counters. The economy line is long! The BF, Elite Access line has just a few people. The BF concierge checked me in and asked if there was anything I needed. She gave me a VIP Lounge pass and told me to enjoy the flight. I headed to customs and the lounge. Security line was a bit long, but it moved quickly. Headed to the VIP Lounge and enjoyed a beverage and a breakfast pastry. Saw the arriving flight from EWR land, it was the Peter Max painted 777. Nice! A splash of color for the travel.

Wandered around the T1 terminal looking to see if there was anything else I could purchase.

About 30 minutes until boarding time, I decide that I had enough to carry so I only purchase a bottle of nice olive oil. Headed to the gate A8. It was crowded in this section of the terminal. There are more shops down this part of the terminal so I look around a bit waiting for the flight to begin boarding.

BF boarding began, so I go to my seat 2K. I put my carry on into the bin and sit down getting ready for the trip home. They present the menu and amenity kit. A blanket later arrives and the announcement that the flight will be a little shorter than scheduled, 7.5 hours.

The concierge goes through the cabin a few times to make sure everyone is OK and to enjoy the flight.

I chose the Executive option again. Depending on the mood, I choose between the two. If you want to watch a movie during your meal, the executive option may be better, not as much distraction from the FA's. I have had both and don't really have a preference. Hot towel time. I choose the appetizer salad with duck and fig. Entre I choose is the lamb with mashed potatoes and spinach. Nice bread basket with the usual choices. Had a nice Spanish merlot with dinner, a nice choice. Then it was time for some fruit and cheese and a glass of port. Finally finishing it off with a hot fudge sundae. Now it was time for a movie and maybe a nap. I watched Harry Potter and bits of the comedy selections.

They baked some cookies about an hour or so after dessert, so that was a nice mid-flight treat.

Prior to arrival a nice fruit plate with rolls with juice and hot tea.

Arrival into EWR was a little early. Pretty much all of the European flights arrive at the same time, so be prepared for the wait in customs. Deplaned and went through customs and claimed my bags. Customs did not take too long, about 30 minutes and about 10 minutes waiting for my bag. Then it was off to another line to turn in the customs form and re-check baggage. The baggage re-check process is about the longest part. There are a lot of short connects, so a few CO agents are around to help you on your way. This is a nice touch, since this seems to be very hectic. After about 20 minutes bags were on the way and it was time to get re-screened for the connection to Houston.

There was not enough time to visit the PC for a drink so it was off to C135. I see the A/C I arrived from MAD, getting ready for a flight to FCO (Rome, Italy).

CO 63 EWR-IAH
B767-400, gate C135
Economy pax are boarding, so I walk up to the Elite Access line and board the plane. It is a full flight, however, I do not know if they had asked for volunteers. I go to my seat 2K and wait for the final leg home.

Time for a drink and quick flip through the movie selections. We were delayed about 30 minutes to wait for last minute connects coming from customs. A word of advice, always check the video monitors for your flight information! A few pax were running from C98 since they did not bother to check the latest gate information!

Finally, push back time and we are on the way to IAH. We wait another 20 minutes since there is a runway out of service for resurfacing. This has traffic backed up and the captain apologizes and says that he will try to make it up in the air.

Finally airborne, we head to IAH. Hot towel time. Time for our snack, a fruit plate with a hot beef sandwich. Not too bad. Now time for a movie. Decided to watch Troy. During the movie I look up and look at the airshow. Our cruise speed is almost 580, wow, he is going to make up the lost time. Normal cruise is 550. The captain informs us that we should be there about 10 minutes early.

Arrival into IAH is normal. Had to wait about 15 minutes for the gate to free up. Finally made into E7. It was a nice surprise that they used both jetways. That made it easy for everyone to exit, especically the economy pax with connects. While leaving the gate area I look and this 764 is headed out to Amsterdam in a couple of hours.

I stroll down to baggage claim in C and after a 5 minute wait, my bag appears. Time to head to the house!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.