Wiki Posts
Search

A question before I post....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG, HHonors Silver
A question before I post....

Soon I'll post my first-ever (yeay!!! ) Trip Report and before I do, I'd like your opinion on something. I know the purpose of this forum is to provide travelogues and that details are welcome since specific info about prices, times, locations, transportation, accessibility, etc. are important and useful to others.

That said, my trip report is going to be about our action-packed 11-day vacation on three Hawaiian islands. Naturally, the report may end up being somewhat long, but I want to provide truly useful details for someone who is interested in going to Hawaii so as to save them headaches... for example, I wish we'd known just how difficult it is to reach South Point on the Big Island -- now that I know how, I'd like to share this info with others. The narrative will be straightforward and informative so if it's long it's only because I'm covering the many things we saw/did. Fear not: I'm a professional writer and editor so I'll keep it lively and tightly edited!

My plan is to create two posts: an abbreviated trip report (to be titled "First-timers' Hawaiian 'Sampler'") just with the basics to provide an overview of our Hawaii trip, and then the "regular" longer post (titled as such) to include information for would-be tourists (details such as where we found an $80/night hotel on the beach). This way people who just want to get ideas for Hawaii can see the shorter post, and people looking for specific info/tips can read the longer post; I'll cross-reference them but I don't want them to be treated as "duplicate" posts. Has this been done before? Do you think it's a good idea?
Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Can't think of any reports doing just that, but don't let that discourage you. Reports of all shapes and sizes are welcome here and will be appreciated. It is your chance to be expressive, so just write thew report as you would want to and it will be enjoyed.

Looking forward to it!
Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, TK Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Silver
Great idea. Go for it!
Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Looking forward to your reports.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG, HHonors Silver
Thanks, everyone! I think there are lots of folks here who will want all the details, such as whether our catamaran cruise to the Na Pali coast was a good "substitute" for a helicopter tour, but there are others who may be curious about Hawaii but not need that level of details, so the "combo" report will be a happy medium. Of course, if I can get around to posting the longer piece (with photos) on my site and link to that soon, it might be better!
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:06 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Sounds terrific, and very useful. Looking forward to your reports. ^
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:37 am

Any and all kinds of Trip Reports are welcome here, and although we usually prefer that all aspects of a single journey be kept on the same thread for easier reference - your idea is novel and intriguing enough that its worth trying out.

That said, I must however lock this thread for housekeeping. It is, after all, not a trip report!

I look forward to reading your report(s) of Hawaii soon!

Thanks,
Sean (B747-437B)
Trip Reports

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.