10 Year Anniversary Trip - Bali and Kyoto/Osaka/Tokyo on SQ/JL J and JL F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10 Year Anniversary Trip - Bali and Kyoto/Osaka/Tokyo on SQ/JL J and JL F

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Without time for breakfast the following morning, we hopped on the metro towards Haneda

We found the JL counters and proceeded to check in for our flight to DFW

Once through security, we had a quick browse of the duty free shops before making a beeline for the lounge

We took our time exploring the multiple areas of the lounge. But first, we had some brunch with sushi, ramen, and bento box

Delicious toro, Hamachi, and tamago

The kids devoured the ramen

Bento box for myself

Then another round of toro and hamachi

Exploring the red suite portion of the lounge which has darker tones

Views of CX and NH birds

Then it was over to the other side that JL calls Sushi Tsurutei. This area was much quieter with just a few people. With both buffet and a la carte options, this was the nicer space to eat without the buzz. We definitely wished we came to this area first once we ordered more sushi as the toro was more fatty

Sushi counter where a chef prepares each nigiri

Dining area

Then we went upstairs to the Salon as our last stop

Some Yamazaki 12 was requested neat, but came on the rocks

Taking in the views before our flight was about to board

We head to the gate at T-10, only to find out that boarding had been delayed. We decided to go back to duty free to kill a few minutes before returning to the gate

I had booked a tighter connection than normal from DFW to LAX, banking on some strong tailwinds and our early morning arrival helping get us through customs and immigration in the US. What a relief when we were boarded without further delays! Time to get comfy in the middle seat

We were in the air before we knew it

Today’s menu

Amuse

Being airborne meant it was finally time to pour the Salon!

I had opted for the Japanese menu, which you can’t go wrong with ex-Japan

Since mini-ChongL #2 had fallen asleep by this point, the wife and I dined together. She opted for the western menu. Her amuse was quite tasty as well

Her shrimp with quinoa

My (first) soup

Scallop and vegetable Mille Feuille

Steamed rockfish with caviar

The wife got her own rockfish in a plastic bag lol

Time to switch it up to one of my favorites, the Queen of Blue tea

Wife was ecstatic to find the Juyondai sake on the menu

Time for my mains

Steak from the western menu didn’t look particularly appealing but apparently it tasted better than it looked. Mrs. ChongL didn’t have a chance to finish as mini #2 woke up from his nap and wanted some attention

Mini #1 had the ramen of course

At this point, we took turns with our naps and movies to burn the time until we were hungry again. Almost to the west coast when I ordered some chicken skewers

Coupled with some more tea

Over the continental US and almost to DFW

Mini #2 was startled by some turbulence as we descended into DFW. Other than that, it was a lovely flight and a perfect way to wrap up the long hauls. The Salon, Queen of Blue, and Juyondai were as tasty as ever. We landed early as I had hoped and cleared customs in no time with just enough time to spare to hop into the Capital One lounge for a quick bite. What a wonderful and memorable anniversary trip it was! But as usual, it’s great to be back home. Thanks for following!
Old Mar 7, 2024, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
What an amazing report and incredible photos of everything. I would love to visit Japan, and I am even more excited now than I was before reading!
Old Mar 7, 2024, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by chongl
The wife got her own rockfish in a plastic bag lol
I have never seen something like that. Did I miss something?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by benjahman
Another amazing chongl trip report always makes the Tuesday mid-afternoon in-the-office blues go away. Thanks for sharing. I'm loving the food and car pics.
I think you ought to finish your own TR as well so I can see what YOU did in Tokyo

Originally Posted by bigdog2
high quality trip report contributions like yours are some of the best parts about this forum.
the last picture of the cars is just such a beautiful shot with the colors. Well done again.
Thank you again for the kind words!

Originally Posted by 757
What an amazing report and incredible photos of everything. I would love to visit Japan, and I am even more excited now than I was before reading!
I must say that Tokyo is one of our favorites, if not favorite city. Appreciate the love, 757

Originally Posted by offerendum
No idea, but I saw another trip report somewhere where they were served the same plastic bag. Interesting presentation I guess?
offerendum and benjahman like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:52 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
That is such a win, they carried the 14th generation Sake....that is a special treat.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: UA
My wife and I are taking our 10-year trip next week (Paris and Champagne). I need to make sure she doesn't see this trip report or I'm going to look bad.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 10:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by offerendum
These are not plastic bags but heat resistant film. These type of film can go up to 425F and is safe for oven use. Often used in sous vide or baking where one need to keep the moisture from the food sealed during the cooking process.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Daytona
These are not plastic bags but heat resistant film. These type of film can go up to 425F and is safe for oven use. Often used in sous vide or baking where one need to keep the moisture from the food sealed during the cooking process.
We call it "Bratschlauch" in Germany. But never saw you serve something with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.