Reload this Page >

10 Year Anniversary Trip - Bali and Kyoto/Osaka/Tokyo on SQ/JL J and JL F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10 Year Anniversary Trip - Bali and Kyoto/Osaka/Tokyo on SQ/JL J and JL F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 6:48 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
What country did the lady asking for a photo from?
Old Feb 24, 2024, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
After our last breakfast at the Conrad Osaka, we enjoyed the last of the city views and packed our bags. While Kyoto was a decent distance away, the metro was still a great option with the exception of an ill-advised exit that would be perfect for those without luggage. After lugging multiple bags up the stairs, I had a brief break before following the river towards the Ritz Carlton Kyoto

A carriage by the entrance

We were given a quick tour of the premises and then seated for a welcome drink and snack. Given that our room was ready, we were given the option to move there for an even more comfortable check-in process

Up to the 2nd floor

We were given a small upgrade to a garden view room

Garden views

Anniversary snacks

And some decent internet speeds

The Pierre Hermes will have to wait for tomorrow

Since we had a lot of laundry, I found a convenient self serve shop just across the river that had all in one machines to dispense, wash, and dry in an hour. Heading across the river only took a few minutes

I returned an hour later to grab the clothes so Mrs. ChongL could do some folding and organizing. Dinner would be in the room again with the wife opting for some Japanese beef curry

Gyu-don for me

Fried chicken for the boys

The following morning, we opted for the western breakfast in the restaurant downstairs

Welcome drink

A la carte menu

First platter of fruit, yogurt, and cheese

Buffet of wonderful and delicious croissants

Benedict

And the heavenly French toast!

Afterwards, we hopped into a taxi to the Arashiyama bamboo forest

Morning snack time

Karrage

Fried cheese

Continuing our walk

A bright Lotus Elise to match the sunny day

Ice cream shop

Pickles?

Surprisingly refreshing

Time for a nap for the kiddos, so we went back to the hotel, picking up some macarons on the way up to our room

Dinner was at a much-anticipated yakiniku restaurant just a few blocks from the hotel. I specifically picked this spot due to their use of charcoal for the extra flavor it imparts into the meat

Yessssthe good stuff!

A mind-blowing truffle rice with egg that paired with some lightly seared beef perfectly

Next up: Fushimi Inari and packing up for the Park Hyatt Kyoto
Old Feb 25, 2024, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by GodAtum
What country did the lady asking for a photo from?
This time, I wasn't exactly sure...they were Asian, but regardless it was a bit of entitlement on their part
Old Feb 26, 2024, 3:37 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Thanks for the photos. I'll be in Kyoto soon! What's the Google Maps link for the yakiniku restaurant please?
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the photos. I'll be in Kyoto soon! What's the Google Maps link for the yakiniku restaurant please?
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SEKcEsrFLfNV1T1p6
Old Feb 27, 2024, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by chongl
Thanks! Would you say this place is foreigner friendly?
Old Feb 28, 2024, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Would you say this place is foreigner friendly?
Yeah, just make sure you have reservations as with most places. You can order off an iPad with menus in multiple languages
Old Mar 1, 2024, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

The next morning, we opted to have breakfast in the room. This allowed us to try the Japanese breakfast offering which could later be compared with the one at the Park Hyatt. The door knock came right on time

On top of being a great visual presentation, the food was delicious with many intricate flavors exciting the taste buds

From there, we checked out and had our luggage forwarded to the Park Hyatt so we wouldnt have to return to lug the bags across town. Todays stop would be Fushimi Inari

Street food vendors lined the blocks, serving a multitude of options

We head towards the shrine, deciding to come back later to sample some of the food

On the way up

There were less crowds on the way down, and if you waited for an opportune moment, could even get some pictures sans people

Almost back to the bottom

And to our first poor choice for the day, this imitation crab meat stick

Karrage is always welcome

Some very long fries

And a small dessert

Having burned off most of the morning, we head back towards the train station

But one last dessert first! At first glance I thought it was gelatin and expected a soft bite. Rather, it was a hard coating of sugar around the strawberries that made it taste like candy

We decided to walk the rest of the way to the hotel which was a leisurely 20 minute stroll through the heart of Gion

Finally arriving at the Park Hyatt Kyoto, which is nicely tucked into the surrounding area. After getting our details, we were led to our room for the rest of the check-in process

Looking towards Yasaka Shrine

We were upgraded to a corner room with a garden view. The nice thing was that we could actually go outside into the garden here unlike at the Ritz Carlton

Stepping outside to enjoy some fresh air

Internet speeds not so hot here

But we quickly forgot about that as a set of anniversary snacks were delivered to our room

After a short rest, we walked around the locale, stopping for some small bites

Having not seen any dinner places that interested us, we decided to go back to our room. Spotting an Integra Type R

And an R8

We once again opted for In room dining, and ran into some service issues. After having ordered the food and having the order repeated to us, we still hadnt received our food after 45 minutes. When following up on the phone, there was no record of our order and likely to do a language barrier, was told that there had been no order placed. After getting everything sorted out, the F&B manager on duty personally called to apologize and came up to deliver the food. We had some delectable fish and chips, Japanese style with some yuzu tartar sauce

A tonkatsu bowl for the kids and the wife had more Japanese curry

The F&B manager also came by with a gift as part of the service recovery

With that, we called it a night. I was eager to sample the breakfast the next morning, but I must say it fell far short of expectations. With limited buffet options and a mediocre a la carte menu, it did not match the caliber of the hotel in my opinion

A la carte menu

French toast

The weather was cooler and I couldnt pry the wife out of the room until lunch time. We found a local mom and pop ramen shop that was well priced with decent food

Mini-Chongl #2 had fallen asleep during the wait, so I had to hold him with one hand and down my ramen with the other. Once finished, I got him back to the stroller and we decided to just head straight back to the hotel to let him rest rather than explore. Another round of food in the room, but without any of the issues from the prior night

The following morning, I head out just before sunrise to get some photos in. Come to find out, some others had the same idea as well

We came back to have our Japanese breakfast, which was served in the same area as the western breakfast. This had to be ordered the day prior, and I was hoping for the best since this meal was prepared by their Michelin-starred restaurant

Starting with some tea

Rice was done cooking once the fire goes out

Also a beautiful presentation. However, I felt I much preferred the flavors experienced at the Ritz Carlton

For the rest of our final day in Kyoto, we went out to do some more eating and exploring

Come dinner time, we were really craving some beef, a theme that would carry on in Tokyo as I had already booked 2 yakiniku restaurants for our 2 nights there

Then some ice cream and croquette to finish off the night

Next up: Heading to Tokyo
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:29 am
Moderator: Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
This is a staggeringly good TR. I am literally amazed at the sheer amount of effort you went to with all the pics. Loved the resort in Bali and the pics from Osaka bring back memories of when I went there last summer with my own kids. All I can say is you got style my friend...keep up the good work.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by eightblack
This is a staggeringly good TR. I am literally amazed at the sheer amount of effort you went to with all the pics. Loved the resort in Bali and the pics from Osaka bring back memories of when I went there last summer with my own kids. All I can say is you got style my friend...keep up the good work.
I concur. chongl trip reports are top notch. excellent photography. i always look forward to reading them.
benjahman, wrp96, Thepi and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:08 am

How long did it take to foward your luggage between the Ritz-Calton and Hyatt? What yakiniku restaurant did you go to in your last post?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eightblack
Thank you. High praise from the FT legend eightblack himself!

Originally Posted by bigdog2
I concur. chongl trip reports are top notch. excellent photography. i always look forward to reading them.
I appreciate the kind words, bigdog2. There are times when I wonder whether to put in the effort and whether people read them or not

How long did it take to foward your luggage between the Ritz-Calton and Hyatt? What yakiniku restaurant did you go to in your last post?
As long as you drop it off by 10AM, it gets delivered same day. The luggage was already waiting in our room by the time we checked in

We just stumbled across the shop as we were walking. Looks like it's next to this place: 2 Chome-222 Kiyomizu, Higashiyama Ward, Kyoto, 605-0862, Japan
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:57 am
Original Poster

After finishing our breakfast in the morning. Our airport transfer was ready and waiting downstairs. It was a longer drive back to ITM, which took us through a series of highways and tunnels

We got dropped off curbside and proceeded to get checked in

Our ride to Tokyo had not arrived yet, as it was slightly delayed due to the traffic caused by a closed runway from tragic incident just a few days earlier. I took my time gazing at our neighboring 787 until our plane pulled up

Just a short while later, boarding was called and down the jet bridge we went

I swear it said business when I booked the seats with Avios, but they turned out to be more like PE? I suppose what was upfront was probably domestic first and we were indeed in a domestic business class. Either way, any seat on this plane would have been sufficient for the very short hop to Tokyo

Once we had arrived and collected our bags, we hopped on the metro to our favorite place to stay

While we were in Kyoto I had browsed for rooms and saw what I thought was a lower award rate for the room. I was mistaken in thinking the phone was quoting the full stay’s price rather than each night, even though it is shown quite clearly. I ended up booking a larger room, only to realize my mistake minutes later. The base room never returned to inventory, so I couldn’t revert to my original arrangements

Nice suite thanks to my error

Some better speeds here

As mentioned prior, I had 2 yakiniku restaurants already booked in Ginza. The first night we had a nice private room to enjoy the wonderful wagyu to our stomach’s content

A visit to Jule’s whisky library in the basement of Ginza 6 let us burn off some calories. After my big Japanese whisky score back in 2017, I haven’t been actively hunting for bottles as much. But it was still a sight to behold some of the bottles on display here

A wall of Chateau Mouton Rothschild

Always great car spotting in Ginza

The following morning, I awoke early and was treated to a beautiful sunrise since we were facing the bay

Once everyone else was awake, we head downstairs for breakfast

Benedict from the a la carte menu

We head out mid-morning for our ramen stop knowing that arriving early would mean a shorter wait time. With Tsuta being closed for the holidays, we decided to try a spot that had been on my list for years. It’s tucked into a non-descript alleyway, but you immediately know you’re in the right place when you spot the queue

Browsing the menu

Ginza Kagari uses a chicken-based broth, which is quite different than most of the pork-based versions many places use

Finally seated, with a view of the 2 large pots of constantly simmering chicken broth. The batches are constantly being skimmed to keep the broth as pure as possible

And the bowl awaits

A wonderfully thick and creamy soup clung to the noodles with each bite. Other than the richness, the sweetness of the broth is what really stuck out to me

More car spotting

They closed up the street in Ginza in the afternoon that allowed for back and forth strolling

Mrs. ChongL found her cake dispensing machine

When the kiddos went down for their afternoon nap, I ventured out again to Rimowa to get our luggage repaired. A nice treat spotting a Lotus 2-Eleven out in the wild!

In the evening, we went to the nearby Donki and loaded up on snacks, Boss coffee, and small gifts before heading to dinner

Until a shiny chrome Bugatti Veyron decided to drive by leaving my jaw on the floor

The police getting ready to open the street back up

One last shot down the middle of the street

Our second yakiniku restaurant was at 777 Ginza. It was coincidence, but was just above the 777 Liquor Mountain store that we’d been to a few times

The meats

Cooking over charcoal

Dessert

And a pleasant evening stroll back to our hotel

With the 488 and the R8 being the last few supercars before we got back to our room

Next up: JAL First Class to head home

Last edited by chongl; Mar 5, 2024 at 12:09 pm
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:04 pm

Another amazing chongl trip report always makes the Tuesday mid-afternoon in-the-office blues go away. Thanks for sharing. I'm loving the food and car pics.
bigdog2 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by chongl
There are times when I wonder whether to put in the effort and whether people read them or not
high quality trip report contributions like yours are some of the best parts about this forum.
the last picture of the cars is just such a beautiful shot with the colors. Well done again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.