Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

SFO-ATH 34 Hour Survival on QR J Return & Al Mourjan: Deep Dive Athens During Covid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-ATH 34 Hour Survival on QR J Return & Al Mourjan: Deep Dive Athens During Covid

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold

Visit to the Cradle of Western Civilization during COVID-19 Pandemic & survive 34 hours SFO-ATH on QR J, & Return. It is about Deep Dive in Athens plus 3 islands to boot.

Photo: Iconic Symbol of Athens - A teaser photo of Acropolis (4 km away from my camera) at sunset, captured from my hotel balcony.

My previous TRs are listed below:

Land of Fire and Ice – Iceland Ring Road Adventure on Wheels

MB European Delivery Program – An Adventure on Wheels

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...leage-run.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-sakura-f.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ga-pixels.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...dventures.html

Like most travelers, we were locked down and had not flown a single mile since early 2020. Frankly, there were not too many places that would welcome visitors without a lengthy quarantine.

In 2021, some countries began to open. In May 2021, Greece declared that the country would welcome visitors under certain straight conditions (wrt COVID-19 vaccine, testing and immunity, but no quarantine required), a move to re-vitalize the country's devastated tourism business which reportedly to be 30% of GDP. According to Statista, the total contribution of travel and tourism to GDP in Greece decreased remarkably in 2020 over the previous year, due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Overall, the total contribution of these industries to the gross domestic product in Greece amounted to €14.8 billion in 2020, whereas it peaked at €38.1 billion the year before.

In the meantime, I noted that QR was offering a special fare from the US to Athens, including from my home port SFO.

QR had launched SFO-DOH new route earlier in 2021 (when most airlines were shrinking their routes). Long story short, I pulled the trigger on a Business Class R fare, SFO-DOH-ATH-DOH-SFO for US$1,826 per passenger (after a discount code was submitted: MPMEMBERS, if my recollection serves). I knew some FTers took advantage of the fares as well.

SFO-DOH was on the A351 metal with Qsuites, and DOH-ATH was on B788. The normal fare was north of $4,000 US in Business Class, return.

So Greece here we come! As far as the destination of Athens, I look forward to re-visiting the Cradle of Western Civilization. Maybe even throw in a couple of nearby islands.

Photo: Flight map: SFO-DOH-ATH-DOH-SFO

SFO-DOH = 8,087 MILES; Flight time = 15h10m. In reversed direction, flight time = 15h30m
DOH-ATH = 1,840 MILES; Flight time =4h45m. In reversed direction, flight time = 4h20m

So what's the big deal about QSuites? Some AvGeeks think it is the best Business Class seat in the sky. Besides the QR's trademark inflight service, SkyTrax rated it #1 airline many times in recent years. At this writing, we have been on QR flights 19 times (all Business Class or First Class, except 2 flights in economy), so had experienced the Qsuites. But still missed it!

Photo Source: QR promo image and fully lie-flat beds
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...BVbBH6j-XL.jpg

Photo Source: QR promo image, Experience of Qsuites

I always subscribe to the notion that "Journey MATTERS NO LESS than the destination". Part of the content here is to share how we savor the "journey" that involves over 15 hours up in the air for the SFO-DOH segment, 14 hours layover in DOH Al Mourjan Lounge (option of an air-side hotel was too expensive and ruled out) at the Doha Hamad International Airport, and 4.75 hours Doha to Athens (DOH-ATH). So it is insane to spend a total of 34 hours to go from SFO to ATH, unless you enjoy the journey itself. You will find out that we did! Crazy!

Here begs a question: How many FTers had done this trip (from US to Athens)? You are crazy too!

Photo Source: QR image of the Quad Suites

Packing for this trip is rather straight forward since we are staying in Athens the whole time (despite doing some islands via day trip by ferry).

There are many new items to prepare before the outbound flight: COVID-19 Vaccine Card from CDC (completed 2 shots at that time); Greece PLF (Personal Locator Form); before inbound flight back to US, we need to get tested 3 days before US arrival (and be Negative). Mask on flights and elsewhere in Greece (late September and early October, 2021). In fact, we got tested twice in 2 separate days before departure to make sure we were COVID free! On departure day, we arrived at SFO with plenty of time to spare.

Photo: SFO airport empty

In 4 minutes, we were checked in and luggage priority tagged all the way to Athens. TSA Security was quick. In no time, we found ourselves inside the business lounge of Air France/KLM. QR contracts this lounge in SFO.

Photo: QR check in counters for Business Class

SFO AF/KLM Lounge: Rather crowded at first with passengers from KL and QR flights jammed in here. Lounge emptied out when KL boarded flight to AMS.

Photo: insert image of KLM/AF Lounge

Photo: Self-made delicious sandwich of KLM/AF Lounge. The baguette was superb!

Next up Part 02: QR 738 SFO-DOH in Qsuite
lamphs likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Part 02: QR 738 SFO-DOH in Qsuite

When QR738 called for boarding (lounge staff went through the lounge making the announcement), we headed out to Gate A8. From the lounge through the windows, I saw the QR incoming plane just turning toward the gate. I knew we would be boarding a bit late.

Photo: QR incoming flight just turned the corner approaching the gate.

Photo: At the boarding Gate A8

After boarding the passengers with disability & families with kids, we were invited to board through the forward door. We were greeted by the cabin manager and 2 crew members. One of them led us to our seats, 6K & 7J (both windows). 7J faces forward & 6K faces backward. The cabin configuration is 1-2-1, so that all seats have aisle access. The forward cabin has 38 seats and the rear cabin has 8, for a total of 46. This cabin layout applies to the A351. The Boeing 77W has different number of seats and configuration in the Business Cabin.

Photo: QR A351 at the Gate

Photo: Collage of Business Cabin – Seat map (courtesy of SeatMaestro) and 2 images (courtesy of QR)

Photo: image of Business Class cabin

Photo: My seat

[/url

Photo: Amenities

No sooner had we sat down than the FA took our order of PDB (Pre-Departure Beverage), hot or cold towel. I always take hot towel.

Photo: PDB

Photo: Later, sparkling water & nuts once up in the air

Next Up Part 03: Up in the air on QR 738 SFO-DOH A351
lamphs likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Fantastic - looking forward to this :-)
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
Fantastic - looking forward to this :-)
Thank you.

Here comes the next installment.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Part 03: Up in the air on QR 738 SFO-DOH A351

Once we gained altitude, the 3 cabin crew sprang into action. As though it was a standard protocol, FAs always address passengers by Mr/Mrs (followed by their last names) and then self-introduces. If passenger has oneworld Elite Status (we are Executive Platinum with AA, therefore OW Emeralds), FA would say "Thank you for being Emerald and flying with Qatar Airways".

One FA came by to take my order for the meals and drinks. Passenger can pre-order online for special meals. There are too many options as to be confusing. I prefer not to pre-order, but just order out of the menu when onboard. You will be asked when you want to eat. So specify your preference. At the same time you can request for turn down service (make the bed for you) at your preferred time.

I took a look at the menus and placed my order. Photo copies of menu are posted below:

Menu covers

QR738 inflight service was excellent throughout. When FA spoke to a passenger, she/he maintains eye contact with pax (CX and JL also practice it). For illustration, this photo was borrowed from ATH-DOH flight however.

Photo: FA taking meal order from passenger on ATH-DOH flight. Sometimes FA bent down to converse with pax.

When FA knew I was in bed and getting ready to sleep, she came and closed the door (but left it ajar but 2 inches). Very thoughtful!

For this 15h10m flight (total BIS miles=8,087), I felt like I was being fed constantly during my waking hours. I usually set aside about 6 hours for some sleep, preferably 1 hour after the main meal. Passengers can request for turn down service (make seat into bed mode) while changing into PJ in one of the 3 toilets. These toilets were spotless whenever I used them.

Photo collages below may be out of sequence.

Photo: Dining and watching programs on IFE

QR738: Up-in-the-air dining. For a brief moment, I used my phone camera to capture the effect of a turbulence on glasses of water & wine! So coooool,

Photo: Glass of wine and water being splashed out due to turbulence

Photo: Collage of meal

After a big meal, I did got some quality sleep. Fortunately the cabin temperature was not too warm as it sometimes was. When I woke up and it was time for some snack. So I ordered some sandwich/scone and soup. (NOTE: I love almost any kinds of soup in the air, no matter the airline). This choice of snack seemed to be standard fare for QR long hauls, as I recalled having almost the same thing and enjoying it couple of times before on different QR flights. All were very good. The soup was piping hot! The scone seemed too big & too much for me so I only ate 1/4 on the plate. BTW, each time a meal was served, there were 6 pieces of new silverware wrapped inside that napkin.

Photo: Mid-flight snacks

After some reading and watching IFE, FA began serving us breakfast before landing. The fruits were fresh; coffee hot and strong; but I only finished half of the omelet which I found a bit dry.

Photo: Collage of breakfast before arrival

On the approach, we were greeted by the Doha’s golden hour. This was an amazing desert glow on the western horizon.

Photo: Sunset as we about to land

Photo: The area below is called The Pearl Qatar. Spotted the St. Regis Hotel is on the island.

Photo: The red/orange egg yolk on the horizon

Photo: Qsuites are indeed sweet. 3 out of 4 aren’t bad!

Despite a somewhat late departure, we made it up and arrived on time. We were first to deplane. Quickly we went through Business Class Transit area where there was a security check point (looking at passport & BP; but no COVID related doc check). That took no more than 3 minutes. We went down one flight by escalator, Then turned right 20+ steps to another set of escalator and went up to the Al Mourjan Business Lounge. A QR Staff would check your forward BP here in front of the escalator.

Next Up Part 04: How to survive the 14 hour long layover in Al Mourjan Lounge?
enviroian, sl1ppy, lamphs and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Part 04: How to survive the 14-hour long layover in Al Mourjan Lounge

Ordinarily (pre-Covid), with 14-hour layover at DOH, we’d book a hotel in the city. That was not possible at this time. The air-side hotel was not an acceptable option due to super high cost.

In light of the long layover here, time management is important. We wanted to make this layover to be relaxing without being bored; productive and yet enjoyable. So how would we go about accomplishing that, and will it turn out?

Upon arrival at the Al Mourjan Business Lounge, surprisingly we found that it was not crowded. We headed straight to the “café” on the reception level, where we enjoyed a cup of piping hot black coffee and some mineral water. One thing I learn in travel is to keep your body hydrated. Mineral water does that for me. Unfortunately I think coffee does just the opposite, yikes! But I love coffee.

Photo: Some coffee and mineral water

Well, I said it too soon about not being crowded. In 10 to 15 minutes, the café got quite busy!

Photo: Café getting busy

A hot shower was most welcome after the rather long 15-hour flight from San Francisco. I found the shower suite spacious, clean and stocked with needed amenities. Furthermore, everything worked as it should! I dare to say it surpasses the bathrooms of many FS hotels such as the Marriotts & Hiltons.

Photo: Shower suite in Al Mourjan Lounge

Sometimes later, we ordered some snack from the menu. At this restaurant, guest can help himself at the buffet counter as well.

Photo: Al Mourjan Menu on reception level cafe

Photo: Collage of meals in lounge

About walking around in the lounge, yes, I did some slow laps on three different intervals in this vast lounge and put in 6,000+ steps during this layover. I wish they had a gym!
On one occasion when I was doing my laps, I walked upstairs to the restaurant (where they serve buffet and small bites, and a la carte, depends of lounge schedule), to take a look. It serves as the main dining area.
It was very quiet at the time. From up here, one can see the lounge below. It is much bigger than this photo shows. Many more rooms are located to the right side of the wall. After all, this lounge has an area of approximately 110,000 square feet.

Photo: The lounge below from upstairs restaurant

Photo: Some random images of the lounge from previous visit

Lounge guests were allowed to go out of the lounge into the terminal and return. It was nice to walk around to stretch, and to see the shops and some boarding gates. I killed an hour down here.

Photo: The familiar Giant Teddy Bear

We knew that getting some sleep is extremely important, so we make sure to reserve a Quiet Room for up to 6 hours (the max time allowed). The airport became busy with many arrivals and departures between 23:00 to 01:30. The lounge receives the most guests at this period as I had observed, during the period that I was in the lounge. That's why it is best to reserve a Quiet Room before the influx of passengers! We had ours before that as one was available.
Spending time in Quiet Room: Slept (napping) on the sofa for about 3.5 hours! That was very good for me as I am a light sleeper when there was too much light. A small blanket was provided, but no pillow. The room is semi-private but without a door.
I noticed there were total of four areas in the lounge where one can get a nap rather comfortably: The Quiet Room; the Family Room; Semi-private pods to the right of entrance to lounge; and lastly, an open area with many “lounge chairs” for napping (but is very bright). Sorry I only have photos to show the Quiet Room.

Photo: Image of a quiet room

We paced ourselves with a small meal followed by some walking around.
Intermittently, we caught up on some reading and went online. Normally I need hours to sort my photos and draft travel journals. However, this was just the beginning of the trip so I didn’t have much in that regard.
Our last small meal was at 2.5 hours before boarding the next flight to ATH.

Photo: Collage of food consumed during the course of this layover.

We ensure that all electronic devices were fully charged before we moved on to the boarding gate (Gate D3) for our next flight to Athens, Greece.
Honestly, 14 hours are way too long for a layover at any airport. This lounge and the DOH terminals made the difference for us. Fortunately, with some fore thoughts, we managed to survive the layover without feeling bored nor exhaustion (a bit tired, yes)! We will see what the return visit (in less than 2 weeks) experience be like.

Photo: Left the lounge and headed to the gate

Photo: Collage of Boarding Gate D3 for DOH-ATH

Up Next Part 05: QR203 DOH-ATH on B788 Dreamliner
lamphs, lb8001 and nequine like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Part 05: QR203 DOH-ATH on B788 Dreamliner

It was a nice long walk to the boarding gate.

Photo: QR 203 DOH-ATH

Photo: Lots of seats were blocked due to Covid

Couple of tidbits that I read about the Dreamliner that I like: The aircraft is pressurized to a lower equivalent altitude, passenger will breathe more oxygen than in any other aircraft. More oxygen means fewer headaches, less dizziness and less travel fatigue. The other feature I like is the dimming of the window, being controlled electronically.

Photo: QR 203 DOH-ATH Business Class cabin of B788

Photo: QR 203 flight info

Photo: My seat 3A

Photo: My PDB

Photo: DW’s seat 4A & PDB

Photo: Amenity Kit

In Business class, the B788 offers 22 flat-bed seats with 180 degree recline. 20 seats are located in the first section. There are 5 rows by 4 seats. 2 additional seats are near the galley. Our seats were 3A & 4A. Both had good window access.
What follow are pages scanned from the food and wine menu:

Photo: Menu

Photo: FA taking breakfast order from pax

Photo: Breakfast in the air

Photo: Excellent black coffee

In-flight service was excellent again.

We arrived at ATH 2 minutes early. Health inspection involved checking our CDC COVID Vaccine card with a brief 5-second glance. They didn't bother with the PLF. The passport stamp at immigration was also quick.

By the time we were at luggage claim, our bags were waiting in #9. After withdrawing some Euros at the ATM, our pre-booked Taxi driver Alex was waiting (he was holding an iPad with my name on it). A quick stroll outside to his yellow Mercedes taxi and we were on our way to the Hilton Hotel. Taxi fee was €50 fixed. Non-reserved taxi costs would be €38 fixed to the city center. When we booked transportation online, we specified a non-smoking car with driver fully vaccinated with proof. Driver was conversant in English. Mask was on all times. He was very friendly and somewhat talkative. NOTE: under normal (non-pandemic) conditions, we would have used the Metro train from airport to hotel. Just for the experience. Normal fare of €10 would also be welcome.

Photo: Pre-book taxi for pick up at airport

Photo: Hilton Athens, our home for next 5 nights. Image captured from an evening walk.

Next Up Part 06: Checking in at Hilton Hotel Athens and our first day on the ground
lamphs, standch and nequine like this.

Last edited by allset2travel; Jul 8, 2022 at 8:44 am Reason: EDIT: SP CK
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Part 06: Checking in at Hilton Hotel Athens and our first day on the ground

As a lowly Hilton Gold Member, you would have access to the Executive Lounge. During the time of our stay, it was closed due to Covid. Breakfast and evening appetizer for hotel guests and HH Elites were served in the lobby floor restaurant.

Throughout the lobby, we saw free masks, gloves and sanitizer abound. Masks were required inside the hotel. Elevators capacity was limited to 3 people, with markers on the elevator floor. House-keeping services were available on request only. That meant if you want your room clean and linens changed, just called. Bottled water was available in the front desk on demand. We often picked up two bottles when we passed by the counter.

I did say I was a lowly Hilton Gold. At check-in, I politely asked if I may get a high-floor room with balcony facing the Acropolis. I mentioned I would love to photograph the Acropolis during the golden hour. I was not disappointed! In fact we had no issue getting our room earlier than the normal check in time. Thank you Hilton!

Photo: Hilton Athens, room was large by Euro standard, and all things functional.

Photo: Bathroom was clean, bath robes, slippers, extra towels and standard amenities. All was satisfactory.

After settled down and unpacked, we walked the common area of the hotel to check out where various facilities were. We noted that the pool was under major re-work (all covered up). We do not usually use the pool, except for at resorts. So that was not an issue.

We relaxed in our room for a few hours to acclimate to the local time. We re-shuffled our originally planned daily itinerary a bit, followed by a short but nice power nap.

We went downstairs to the restaurant for evening service of appetizer. The staff asked for our room number, then showed us to a table. We saw that staff enforced the mask policy very well. The service was good.

The restaurant is big. It also has outside seating too.

Hilton Athens: Evening appetizer offered wines, beer, cold cut, cheeses and fruits

Photo: Appetizer of cold cuts and various cheeses and your choice of beverages.

Photo: Evening appetizer of cold cuts and cheeses. Served, not buffet, but can re-ordered. Ditto for drinks

While in the balcony on this first evening, we watched the sunset as locals commuted from work to home. I pulled out my tripod and camera to capture a few shots for memory sake. The real bonus was the “golden hour” over the Acropolis from 4 km away. This was the primary reason I made specific request at check-in.

Photo: Evening commuter traffic in Athens, viewed from balcony of our room.

Photo: Sunset over the Acropolis, about 4km away! My 300mm zoom almost couldn’t make it.

To me, Sunset over the Acropolis was special. My dream came true with this image for my collection. Thanks to the front desk associate who granted me my preference of room.

Photo: Sunset over the Acropolis

Before retiring, we took a stroll to size up the neighborhood. The temperature was cool and nice, perfect for a walk. We dug deep into a neighborhood that has steep streets, lined with trees and busy restaurants. We hiked all the way up to the Lycabettus Hill Cable Car station. It was quite dark and quiet up here. To my surprise, it was still open for operation. We did not go up because it was too late for this first night in town. We felt safe while walking and hiking. The restaurants were humming. We didn’t see too many sidewalk tables unoccupied (tables were set up on very steep sidewalk). Hmmm, be nice to dine here some evening.
By the time we returned to the hotel, we were exhausted!

We were so thankful that everything worked out so perfectly on this long journey to Athens. This was our first perfect day (not quite the whole day) in Athens, with 11 more to come (hopefully as perfect as this one)!

I will close this post with another commuter traffic photo.

Photo: Evening commuter traffic

Next Up Part 07: Deep Dive in Athens
SK, dcmike, wtcmor and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 10:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I love Greece and look forward to seeing and reading about your adventures there. I've made over 2 dozen trips to Greece since the late 1960's.

As you probably know...the Athens Hilton was closed earlier this year. Will be reborn in a year's time ( so they say) as Conrad and high end condos.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david55
I love Greece and look forward to seeing and reading about your adventures there. I've made over 2 dozen trips to Greece since the late 1960's.

As you probably know...the Athens Hilton was closed earlier this year. Will be reborn in a year's time ( so they say) as Conrad and high end condos.
Thank you.

Wow, I envy you for your extensive trips to Greece, a country I am beginning to discover (my second trip).

Re: Re-flag of Hilton, I had not come across any tidbit about that. I really liked this Hilton and hate to see it re-flagged as a Conrad & lux condos.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by allset2travel
T

Re: Re-flag of Hilton, I had not come across any tidbit about that. I really liked this Hilton and hate to see it re-flagged as a Conrad & lux condos.
I was wrong... it will not reopen until late 2024.

https://greekcitytimes.com/2022/02/0...oses-it-doors/
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Part 07: Deep Dive in Athens

Well, in reflection, the "journey" lived up to my expectation! Up-in-air experience with Qatar Airways was excellent, both in terms of hard product as well as in-flight services. The food and beverages had returned to pre-pandemic level (I read about reduced services during mid pandemic).

The 14-hour transit in DOH was not a piece of cake by any means, but it was manageable. I think what helped me was that I love walking. I listened to audio books as I circled around the lounge as well as out into the terminal. Normally, I’d break it up by spending a night in Doha city center, which we did twice before with a 10 hour layover.

The Hilton room air-con was very good. I enjoy cool temperatures indoor.

During the night, we had all devices and their batteries charged up. Our day pack organized. We had 6+ hours of good quality sleep on the nice firm bed and pillow.

Next morning we woke up bright and early, feeling refreshed.

Photo: Next morning sunrise and the Acropolis, somewhat cloudy at this time. Foreground shows the roof top of the National Gallery. The green area is part of a large park named Rizari Park

We went downstairs to the lobby restaurant for breakfast. Not knowing what to expect since this was our first morning here. The restaurant has an area that looks like an atrium with glass enclosures and a large tree, in addition to some outside seating. We took a table in the main restaurant area. Staff enforced masks when guests were near the buffet counters to get their food. Gloves were available for guests to use. That was very thoughtful. However, many guests didn’t bother.

Breakfast offered a large variety of cold cuts, salad, fruits, baked items, various dairy products, and many cheeses. The hot English breakfast was good and was my favorite. Some mornings, I ordered eggs cooked to me preference. The breakfast offering was more than I expected. Kudos to Hilton!

Photo: Coffee Americano & OJ

Photo: Breakfast buffet style.

Photo: Breakfast buffet style. Eggs cooked to order.

Since the Hilton is not far (IMO) from a lot of major sights, we decided to walk rather than using the metro. In late September and early October, the morning air was cool. By mid-afternoon it became warmer to hot. By evening, it was cool again. So in general, the weather and temperature were very pleasant. Perhaps the best time to be in Athens?

Throughout our stay, there were several places that we repeated our visitation, but at different time of day. Each day, we put in a lot of walking and hiking. Good hiking shoes are essential.

From the hotel front door, we walked over to the Rizari Park to the Byzantine and Christian Museum. According to the museum’s official web site, it gave an introduction and I quote, “The Byzantine and Christian Museum, which is based in Athens, is one of Greece’s national museums. Its areas of competency are centred on – but not limited to – religious artefacts of the Early Christian, Byzantine, Medieval, post-Byzantine and later periods which it exhibits, but also acquires, receives, preserves, conserves, records, documents, researches, studies, publishes and raises awareness of.”

Photo: Walked through the park to the Byzantine and Christian Museum. See Hilton in the background

Photo: The Byzantine and Christian Museum

Photo: The Byzantine and Christian Museum

Next, we wanted to see the Hadrian’s Library. From the BCM to Hadrian’s L was a long walk. Along the way, we passed by the Archaeological Site of the Lyceum of Aristotle. Didn’t find it to be that interesting. Now we departed from the park onto the street named Vasilissis Sofias which is a busy street. Along this street we saw some foreign embassies and upscale residential apartments/condos. We passed by the Hellenic Parliament (did not go inside) and the adjacent Syntagma Square. This walk was quite nice and mildly interesting.

Photo: The Hellenic Parliament

Photo: Syntagma Square and the Hellenic Parliament.

Now we were strolling on Ermou street. Many shops and restaurants dotted this street. There stands in the middle of the street is a tiny church, the Holy Church of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary. Considered a gem if you are a student of Byzantine architecture!

Photo: Holy Church of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary.

Soon, we arrived at the busy square named Monastiraki Square.

Photo: The busy Monastiraki Square

Photo: Monastiraki Square, Church of the Virgin Mary Pantanass, Monastiraki

A little further up the street is the Hadrian’s Library. According to some info online, the Library of Hadrian (aka Hadrian's Library) in Athens was constructed circa 132-134 CE as part of Roman Emperor Hadrian's grand re-building plan for the city. The library was the largest in Athens and with its columned façade and high surrounding walls, built to impress. The building was used to store important literary works and legal and administrative documents as well as offer a place to hear lectures and host various philosophical schools.

According to World History, Libraries in antiquity were not generally used as lending libraries but rather as places of study and storage. Documents were usually in the form of papyrus scrolls which were kept in partitioned wooden cupboards (armaria) set in niches in the walls of the room. Libraries were also a place to hear lectures and orators, and discuss intellectual matters with fellow visitors in the tranquility of the library garden. The Library of Hadrian was famously described by Pausanias as "the building with 100 columns of Phrygian marble, with halls with painted ceilings, alabaster walls, and niches with statues, in which books were kept (Attica).

Below please find a few images from Hadrian’s Library.

Photo: Hadrian’s Library

Photo: Through the arch

At the Hadrian's Library, we purchased a “Monuments and Museums of Greece Pass” that provides access to 6 major sites for €30. Pass was valid for 5 consecutive days, with only 1 visit per site.

Photo: Sight-see Pass (don’t read Greek, it seems to include 7 sites?)

Next Up Part 08: Diving Deeper in Athens
nequine likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Following with interest. Doing MEL-DOH-ATH-DOH-MEL on QR J in October.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david55
I was wrong... it will not reopen until late 2024.

https://greekcitytimes.com/2022/02/0...oses-it-doors/
@David,

Thank you for the link. I have never heard of Yiannis Morali who was commissioned to decorate the north side of the building! How interesting!

I only had 1 photo of Hilton exterior that shows the north facing wall. It was taken at night so Morali's work is not showing up very clearly enough to decipher!

HNL1K and offerendum like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guvner067
Following with interest. Doing MEL-DOH-ATH-DOH-MEL on QR J in October.
That sounds great!

The MEL-DOH flight is almost as long in duration as the SFO-DOH. Is MEL-DOH on B77W or A351?

Anyway, enjoy your trip.

Thanks for following the report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.