Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

SFO-ATH 34 Hour Survival on QR J Return & Al Mourjan: Deep Dive Athens During Covid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-ATH 34 Hour Survival on QR J Return & Al Mourjan: Deep Dive Athens During Covid

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
This trip report is wonderful. I've never considered Athens, as we're normally somewhere in Germany, Tbilisi or Croatia, but this report and your photos have made me start looking at Athens for possibly Oct/Nov 2023.

Always love the Qsuites and have spent about 15 hours at one time in the AL Mourjan lounge coming home from Baghdad. Great lounge, but anything more than 8 hours turns into a mind fog.
Thank you for reading.

Yes, I think Athens is worth a visit (and re-visit) just to witness her role in this history of western civilization. Of course Greece has so many epic islands!

I understand what you mean by "mind fog". Imagine I have one more 14 hour layover there yet on my return trip
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Brings back many good memories
Yes, I understand what you mean. Being so close to Greece, you can go there on a long weekend, couple of weekends per year!
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I'm loving your pictures and narrative.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Yes, I understand what you mean. Being so close to Greece, you can go there on a long weekend, couple of weekends per year!
Long weekend? Tell this my GF Indeed it´s not that great to reach, but it´s not very long.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Part 15: The Island of Aegina

From Poros to Aegina, the ship was sailing sort of in the direction toward Athens.

A charming island close to Athens, Aegina will give you a taste of all the other Greek islands.

Due to its proximity to Athens (40 minutes by ferry from Piraeus Port in Athens), it becomes a year-long holiday destination for the city dwellers. You’ll find antiquities and traditional tavernas in this port town with a 19th-century atmosphere, beaches, deserted Byzantine chapels, as well as pine-clad hills and mounds of freshly roasted pistachios.
Due to limited time, we could not venture anywhere except just the port town. Aegina is as colorful as the other two islands.

Photo: Aegina’s iconic little white church by the harbor.

Photo: Then a much bigger church, the Church Isodia Theotokou of Aegina

Photo: At the Aegina Harbor.

Photo: Tourism centric island town, just like Hydra and Poros.

Photo: Tavernas are dotted the waterfront street.

Photo: Tavernas are dotted the waterfront street.

Photo: Aegina has a well-protected Marina & Port.

Photo: An old building being restored.

Photo: Yachts and boats abound.

Photo: Town center of Aegina.

Day trip to the islands was a fun one. The weather was typical Mediterranean, bright sunshine with cloudless blue sky and warm temperature. Today, we packed in way too much more than thought possible! We truly enjoyed every aspect of it.

After it was all said and done, we got dropped off at the hotel late in the evening. After a quick freshen up in the room, we went out around 21:00 and dined in at Quick Pitta again. It was not far from the hotel. All the restaurants nearby were quite busy. At QP, we were asked to show Covid document this time, but when I reached to my pocket for it, he waved us in without seeing it.

Photo: Dining at Quitta Pitta, yet again!

Two days before we flew home, we took a Rapid Covid test at a pharmacy for €10 each. Result returned was NEGATIVE for both of us via email within an hour. All was well. At that time, the US CDC required US-bound passengers to provide proof of “Negative” within 72 hours of flight.

The ease of access to Covid testing and inexpensive fees had made Greece a very tourist friendly country to visit during the pandemic. We chose Greece over limited other countries because of this.

Next Up: Part 16 - Final night spent at Sofitel, an airport hotel
SK likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
I'm loving your pictures and narrative.
I appreciate your encouragement! Happy travel!

Few more segments to come.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Long weekend? Tell this my GF Indeed it´s not that great to reach, but it´s not very long.
You know what, I think once you booked that 5* hotel, she will be on board!

Jokes aside, being in Germany, you have unlimited great destinations at your disposal without flying over any ocean! Lucky you.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
You know what, I think once you booked that 5* hotel, she will be on board!

Jokes aside, being in Germany, you have unlimited great destinations at your disposal without flying over any ocean! Lucky you.
Well, I can´t see any effect. Short stays are always a fight, even with the finest hotels around. Otherwise you are right, most destinations are quite conveniant. Athens is not that easy from DUS, for example Aegean flies one way at an unacceptable time. I did it with a stop at Vienna, was cheaper (in J) and I got better times.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Well, I can´t see any effect. Short stays are always a fight, even with the finest hotels around. Otherwise you are right, most destinations are quite conveniant. Athens is not that easy from DUS, for example Aegean flies one way at an unacceptable time. I did it with a stop at Vienna, was cheaper (in J) and I got better times.
Yes, I see.
It is a hassle to connect these days.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Part 16: Final night spent at Sofitel, an airport hotel

The day before we flew home, we moved to Sofitel Hotel, a hotel at the airport. A taxi ride from city center to Sofitel took 40 minutes.

Our room was on the 6th floor, with no runway view. Everything was in good working order. Hotel provided bathrobes & slippers. For some reason, we couldn’t use the small frig in the room (seemed no electricity or whatever ..). Rain forest shower & side shower worked great. However, water temperature control was not consistent. The windows were very small for a hotel. Other than these minor things, the hotel was fine.

Photo: Collage of Sofitel Hotel at ATH

Photo: Collage of Sofitel Hotel at ATH

Photo: Not much runway view from Sofitel Hotel at ATH

Photo: That how close the hotel is to the Terminal

When came time for dinner, we found Burger King in the airport, upper level. Not a lot of options in the airport.

Photo: Burger Kings in ATH

Photo: Burger Kings in ATH

Photo: A fish burger and fries at Burger Kings

Out next flight, QR204 ATH-DOH would not allow online checkin. Weird.

Next Up Part 17: Our long and enjoyable journey home, first leg ATH-DOH
offerendum likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Part 17: Our long and enjoyable journey home, first leg ATH-DOH

Next morning, I made some coffee in the room before checking out. It took us only 5 minutes to walk to the airline check in counter from the hotel’s front door. The terminal seemed busy maybe due to several US bound flights were checking in at almost the same time.

QR opens check in 10:30. 2 agents took care of Business Class passengers. Both agents seemed stuck at something. An agent on the floor asked us to use an open counter in economy. Agent checked passports, US Attestation, Covid test result from my phone. Then asked to fill out yet another form for the US (INFO was duplication of attestation). That took 8 minutes total.

Photo: ATH airport scene at check-in.

Bags checked to SFO of course. Passport control quickly stamped my passport. Agent never look at the passenger, even when passenger was still wearing a mask. He did not look at BP. All was very casual & fast.

At Security we were required to pull out laptop, my cameras and batteries. The whole process was quite fast, however.

Before 11:00, we were inside the SWISSPORT Lounge. It looked like a very austere lounge. No hot food at all. By 11:30 the lounge was quite empty, due to DL and Skyteam passengers were boarding (I preseumed).

Photo: SWISSPORT Lounge

Photo: SWISSPORT

Photo: QR 204 We were at holding gate area

We boarded at 12:45. We had seats 2E/2F, as we wanted to try out the center seats. Prior to now, we always prefer windows.

Friendly initial greetings by the flight crew. PDB was served. Cold wet towel only, no hot towel! Bottled Water, headset, amenity kit, blanket were all on the seat, like they always were. Menu too.
QR 204 was on a B788. The crew manager was Shumi from Kenya and FA Manni. Both were attentive and polite.

Photo: QR204 ATH-DOH Business Class Cabin.

Biz class was full. Meal orders were then taken. For my main course, I ordered Balkario cod.
As we gained altitude, we experienced some turbulent. Warm nuts were served along with my favorite drink.

Hot meal included a bowl of lovely soup; and the octopus. Both were great. The fish was tasty and moist.

Photo: Collage of catering.

Photo: Collage of catering.

Photo: Middle seats collage

Photo: Middle seats

Take crew waited quite a while to take the plate away. Finally, I had to ask for dessert. Greek baklava pistachio. & black coffee were brought to me. I enjoyed that.

For those who are interested, images of the menu are shown below:

Photo: Menu

Captain announced on time arrival at 17:58.
Middle seats for couples were fine. We liked it!

Upon arrival, the aircraft parked at Gate C10. It was a rather long walk to the Transfer Desk. At the Business Class security check, I didn’t have to take anything out of my backpack for inspection. We just walked right through. Al Mourjan Business Lounge was our next abode for 14 hours.

Next Up Part 18 - At the Al Mourjan Business Lounge and QR DOH-SFO flight home
roadwarriorafrica likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:11 am

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Thanks for the detailed report on QR 204, I'm doing the same flight in a few weeks (selected 3E,3F) and staying at the Sofitel prior. Some good info.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guvner067
Thanks for the detailed report on QR 204, I'm doing the same flight in a few weeks (selected 3E,3F) and staying at the Sofitel prior. Some good info.
That is cool. Glad that this info helps you. You will enjoy QR 204!
Happy and safe travel!
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Part 18 & final segment: At the Al Mourjan Business Lounge and QR DOH-SFO flight home

Upon arrival at DOH, past through transit area, we followed one flight of escalator going down. Then took the next escalator and went up to Al Mourjan Lounge. An agent would check boarding pass at the escalator. By 18:19 we were inside the AM Lounge. We sat down in the restaurant and had an Evervess tonic water.

Photo: Sat down with my favorite drink!

Photo: Al Mourjan Lounge was kind of deserted.

At 20:00, we ordered a Caesar salad & some fruits from the menu.

Photo: The menu.

Photo: Caesar salad.

Photo: Mixed fruits.

With plenty of time on hand, I sat down and began to organize and sort tons of photos taken from the trip.

When I am on the road, I have a habit of keeping an extemporaneous journal by using a “Voice Recorder” app. Now it was a good time to get the audio file converted to text. When time permit (like right now), I would further open the text journal within MS Word to facilitate editing.

Sorting photos and writing journal is a time consuming task that I enjoy doing! There was no dead time in the lounge because of this.

I did laps walking around the lounge, just like I did before. Sometimes even walked upstairs and down, just to get some exercise.

Photo: A bird’s eye view of the lounge.

We tried to book a Quiet Room. There was none until 00:30am. That was fine. So we went to the other side of the restaurant and found an empty “Family Room”. We immediately went back to the booking desk and staff confirmed we could use it.

The Family Room has 2 sofas instead of 1 (in the Quiet Room). We got about 3 hours of sleep and that was fine. I think this room was better than the Quiet Room due to the 2 sofas. Both my wife and I could take nap at the same time. My initial concern about possible noises from the kids was unfounded. We didn’t hear any noise.

Photo: Family room set up.

I noted the lounge got busy after midnight. So if you need a room, try to book just before then. As reported before, this lounge has many shower suites. I always love a long hot shower.

When it was time to eat, I ordered a Cajun chicken sandwich (ate this multiple times on different trips, still loved it) around 06:00. Lounge coffee was good.

Photo: More food, sandwich

Our final leg QR737 DOH-SFO would be boarding at Gate C8. At the security check point, I was asked to dump all items out of my backpack. Not a problem taking them out of the bag, but fitting them back in took minutes!

Photo: At the boarding gate

Photo: Construction of new terminal. Aiming to completion before FIFA World Cup 2022.

This flight was very full in Economy. Many people from the ME, Africa and India were on this flight.
Business Class was 80% full, including 2 active young boys.

Photo: QR737 DOH-SFO Familiar Business Class Cabin with Qsuites.

Our seats were 3K & 4J. In typical QR style, EVERYTHING was on the seat (menu, headset, PJ, pillow, blanket, water, amenity kit etc etc….).

Photo: My seat, it was Qsuite

PDB & cold towel (I was not offered hot or cold) were delivered with a smile (most times I prefer hot towel, but I didn’t ask for it). Push back was on time. Our primary FA’s name was Ana.

Photo: PDB non-alcohol bubbly known as So Jennie. Love that pillow. 3 out of 4 aren’t bad!

Photo: QR737 DOH-SFO very extensive menu for food and wines. See below:

Service was very courteous & attentive. Food was very good, but portions were too large, more than I could consume. Cheese cake was marginal however (to be fair, because I was never a fan for cheese cake), as I found it slightly dry.

Slept only 4 hours, 5 would be nice. Watch several movies & some travel documentary. Qsuites win again.

Some images of the in-flight catering shown below and they may not be in exact time sequence when they were served:

Photo: In-flight catering.

Photo: In-flight catering. My favorite dish of Atlantic cod & lobster tail with risotto. Yum!

Photo: Signature end-of-flight GODIVA Belgium chocolate.

Photo: Over Vancouver BC, not far from home

Photo: About to touch down.

On time arrival! SF Bay Area weather was sunny and cool (as uaual). Home sweet home! Traveling during the pandemic was not tough. In fact it was easier than I anticipated.

It is true that Journey Matters No Less than Destination. This journey on 4 QR flights and the outstanding destinations of Athens and the islands almost made up for the lack of travel for the last 18 months.

Because of this trip, I met the AA’s EXP Retention requirement, it was more than enough. One more year of AA EP (oneworld Emerald)

Thank you for coming along. Safe travel to all of you!
pjs, SK, enviroian and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:15 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Thanks for the trip report. It's been great to follow along.

At the security check point, I was asked to dump all items out of my backpack. Not a problem taking them out of the bag, but fitting them back in took minutes!
I always hate having to repack at the airport. I always take my time to maximise my space (or, perhaps more appropriately, minimise the size and amount of luggage I am taking), so everything is always packed carefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.