Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cairo, the Pyramids and Luxor via Air France La Première

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by GodAtum
Did you have much trouble at the pyramids, I know there used to be a lot of hawkers and pickpockets there?
That would be my question too.

Great report. I would love to see the Pyramids some day.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Gosh, Bellevoye Rouge as the whisky in LP? That's an interesting choice - it's pretty for from top end (is £57 a bottle here), and, as you say, horrible!
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:03 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
Dear SFO777
What kind of tests do you make? Antigen or PCR?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
On the camera front, I believe that they're just trying to get around the copyright rules or, more simply, to boost gift shop and licensing revenue. Anyone who wants a quality image suitable for any kind of publication or commercial use -- or even just for enlargement and framing -- is going to need a real camera. So banning real cameras effectively means that payment is required even where copyright laws, on account of an artwork's age, no longer provide any protection.
This is another wonderful trip report, by the way!
Thanks very much FallenPlat. I think you nailed it on trying to boost revenues. 200EGP for a camera permit seemed a little excessive though and not sure how many takers they get considering that the latest iPhones take pretty amazing quality pics.

Originally Posted by lamphs
It is an tunnel entrance to the main chamber located at the top of the pyramid...essentially a room. While the entrance looks wide, it becomes quite narrow inside. It is quite an experience.
Looking at SFO777's pics, there are actually tourists there now. When I was at both the museum and the pyramids in May 2021, I could count the number of tourists on one hand. The vendors were certainly hurting.
Thank you lamphs. You definitely lucked out in May. Our guide mentioned that it had only been in the last 2-3 months when tourists have started to return.

Originally Posted by ffI
I actually think SFO777 takes along a few others under the seat to finish the food. It is always the only thing that makes me question his TRs. Did he really do all that food in that time or did he find a few pictures from AF brochure?
That is too simple an explanation.
LOL. With Air France, it's hard to resist. You do what you have to do absent a smaller portion size tasting menu.

Originally Posted by ffI
When we visited Cairo in 2010 Nov, I think this terminal was being upgraded and looks a lot better. But the line for visas has not changed. :-)
The line only took 5-6 minutes and there were three separate kiosks. On my last visit a few years ago, my RJ E75 flight had a lot fewer passengers and I was the only person in line.

Originally Posted by ffI
In 2010 as well we could not take pictures inside, especially in the Tut exhibit; by now with cell phone cameras I think times have changed.
Indeed, plus it's probably futile to even see, let alone police small cell phones.

Originally Posted by ffI
The pyramids were once covered in polished marble - one of them still has the smooth surface on top. Over time, that skin was removed - Much of it, like the Parthenon and the Coliseum, used for houses and palaces nearby I think
- followed by removal of stone layers- and the grave robbers finally got to the openings to the tombs which can now be seen - these were the passages cut by grave robbers
Previously one could climb the pyramids to the top; now forbidden I think
You can also go and see the insides of the pyramids - we did so - the main ones were OK but a slight wait in line.
At the smaller Queens pyramids, it was very claustrophobic as the way in was sloped at 45 degrees and not more than 4 ft high so we had to stoop quite a bit
There was only 1 entry and after 30 of us had gone in and found a 1 foot ledge to stand on around a 10 foot drop into a burial pit / trench, somebody had the bright idea of sending in 20 more !
That was the time I really regretted taking a bulky camera bag - with it behind me, I was standing leaning precariously over the pit; with it in front it was hard to bend
What with the hot temperatures (even in Nov) and watching the kids not fall in - it was an experience not to be repeated.
This was not a Disney experience with safety rails or even ropes - am still amazed none of us fell in in the pressing crowds.
I am not kidding - the grave robbers certainly had their work cut out for them. I am still amazed that some of the stone sarcophagi were ever removed from the tombs
We did have the option of going into one of the pyramids but our guide warned us of what noted... claustrophobic and low ceilings. Just didn't seem worth the time and effort with our timing. And we did laugh about the general lack of safety rails or ropes and mused that no way this would be permitted in the the US.

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Great report. I would love to see the Pyramids some day.
Thanks so much HawaiiTrvlr. They were very impressive and worth the trip.

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Gosh, Bellevoye Rouge as the whisky in LP? That's an interesting choice - it's pretty for from top end (is £57 a bottle here), and, as you say, horrible!
Glad it's not just me that thinks that. It could probably be used as paint remover.

Originally Posted by zappa42m
Dear SFO777
What kind of tests do you make? Antigen or PCR?
I took a PCR test outbound, although I didn't need it since my French Pass Sanitaire was all I needed to enter Egypt. On the return, we just did the antigen test in Cairo since that is all the US requires for re-entry.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Egyptair to Luxor

Once again, the secret to driving in Cairo is... to travel in the middle of the night. Not a lot of passengers at the airport either.

Since the Egyptair app is pretty much useless, neither of us could not get a digital boarding pass as the app froze every time we click "display boarding pass". On the other hand, the old fashioned airport kiosks worked and spit out our paper BPs.

Our first security check of the morning got us to the check-in counters.

Not a lot of morning domestic departures.

Let's check out the Egyptair Business Class Lounge.

Meh. Not very exciting, to say the least.

Carbs much?

Time to head to our gate.

OK, this makes a lot of sense. A 2nd security check.

Cairo to Luxor
Eqyptair 62
A220-300
6:45p-7:55a
November 9, 2021
Business ClassMore security equipment at the gate, but not in use today.

Nice new plane but terrible 2-3 all Economy seating with the first three rows comically designated as Euro-fraud style Business Class.

We lucked out with a middle seat in our third row, oddly numbered row 22. Huh?

More carbs for "breakfast".

On the other hand, our Egyptair A220 had Wifi and it worked. Gotta love the price and my receipt for $0.00.

Beautiful scenery as we approach Luxor.

And such a contrast from the lush greenery around the Nile River.

Not a lot of action this morning at Luxor "International" which has no jet bridges and where all planes park far, far away on the tarmac and use buses to transport passengers to the terminal.

Kudos to Egyptair for a separate bus for Business Class passengers.

But the terminal was a mile from our plane's parking area. Seriously? You couldn't park any closer??

Five minutes later, we are outside in Luxor where we met Nermeen, our wonderful guide for the day. Cute local kids.

And Luxor's pretty new-ish terminal.

lamphs likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Our Day in Luxor

The main historical sightseeing area is close to Luxor but a 45 minute drive from airport since bridges across the Nile here are few and far between.

Our first stop is the Valley of the Kings, a series of tombs for ancient Egyptian pharaohs from some 5,000 years ago.

Our wonderful guide, Nermeen.

Some of the stunning ancient tombs with artwork that has survived thousands of years.

Back on the road...

... to the inevitable tourist stop, a nearby Alabaster factory and shop. Usually these places are annoying and overpriced. But this one was really fun and entertaining as they have this schtick down to an art form.

Inside the shop, where we haggled and negotiated on a few souvenirs.

And the special "just for you" museum room. LOL. Pretty sure that the owners' Mercedes were parked out-of-sight behind the factory.

Only a few miles away was the stunning Temple of Hapshepsut. Hatshepsut was the fifth pharaoh of the Eighteenth Dynasty of Egypt and only the second historically confirmed female pharaoh.

Exiting with lots of local merchants peddling souvenirs.

Tiime for lunch just across the river from Luxor.

We headed for a nearby water taxi dock, while our driver had taken the long 45 minute drive to the other side.

LOL, someone has a sense of humor.

Five minutes later, we are back in beautiful Luxor.

A few minutes later, we stopped at historic Karnac Temples.

From Karnak, it was a short 10 minute drive to the airport, where Nermeen and our driver dropped us off at exactly our requested 2:15pm. What a delightful day in Luxor with one of the best guides I've ever had the pleasure to meet.

For more pics and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 7, 2021 at 6:53 am
Old Nov 28, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks very much FallenPlat. I think you nailed it on trying to boost revenues. 200EGP for a camera permit seemed a little excessive though and not sure how many takers they get considering that the latest iPhones take pretty amazing quality pics.

Thank you lamphs. You definitely lucked out in May. Our guide mentioned that it had only been in the last 2-3 months when tourists have started to return.

LOL. With Air France, it's hard to resist. You do what you have to do absent a smaller portion size tasting menu.

The line only took 5-6 minutes and there were three separate kiosks. On my last visit a few years ago, my RJ E75 flight had a lot fewer passengers and I was the only person in line.

Indeed, plus it's probably futile to even see, let alone police small cell phones.

We did have the option of going into one of the pyramids but our guide warned us of what noted... claustrophobic and low ceilings. Just didn't seem worth the time and effort with our timing. And we did laugh about the general lack of safety rails or ropes and mused that no way this would be permitted in the the US.

Thanks so much HawaiiTrvlr. They were very impressive and worth the trip.

Glad it's not just me that thinks that. It could probably be used as paint remover.

I took a PCR test outbound, although I didn't need it since my French Pass Sanitaire was all I needed to enter Egypt. On the return, we just did the antigen test in Cairo since that is all the US requires for re-entry.
Thank you very much for the answer
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
As for the RC vs. St-R, although the St-R was newer and slightly higher rated, they appeared not to have a Club Lounge while RC advertised it. Although we did get Platinum upgrades to the Club Level and had keys that opened the Lounge door, front desk clerk said the world wide Ritz policy was no Club access for elites. I'm newly minted Platinum so no idea whether this is true or he was just blowing smoke. In the end, the RC was a great choice for us.
No smoke. With the exception of suite upgrades for MR Titanium, elites at RC properties generally get bupkus. No breakfast, and certainly no lounge access.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by CLEguy
No smoke. With the exception of suite upgrades for MR Titanium, elites at RC properties generally get bupkus. No breakfast, and certainly no lounge access.
So status is nearly useless there?! Personally I stayed quite often at RCs in the past, but they vanished from my radar (even as I stayed at one recently , but it wasn't a reason to be too enthusiastic)
Old Dec 1, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by offerendum
So status is nearly useless there?! Personally I stayed quite often at RCs in the past, but they vanished from my radar (even as I stayed at one recently , but it wasn't a reason to be too enthusiastic)
That's correct. The welcome amenity is simply points, no upgrades (unless Titanium, YMMV), no breakfast, no lounge access. Such is Bonvoy.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:48 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Wow: another great trip report. My hats off to you for travelling all that way and getting so much in with such a short amount of time. It's impressive given the bureaucracies of today's pandemic travel.

I had previously stayed at the Ritz Carlton Cairo when it was flagged as.a Hilton (2007). It looks like an impressive renovation that is finally complete.

Stay safe!
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:58 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
While I had my Covid test this morning in Denver, batmandds opted to do it at LAX. We trekked over to T6 and the very efficient Clarity test facility. Oddly, it would not be his last visit today.

Much more civlized at Air France. And La Première counter which was oddly roped off. Our doc check went well until we got to the Covid test part. While we both had current negative PCR results, neither of us had a test result with a QR code, an apparent requirement to enter Egypt. I got off easy when I showed the agents my French-issued Pass Sanitaire and its QR code. The Pass Sanitaire is magic as they told me that I was good to go and didn't even need PCR test to enter Egypt. batmandds, not so much. He did not have a QR code so he needed a new PCR test stat. The AF supervisor said he didn't need the result by boarding time, just to have taken the test. So off he went back to T6...
Unless I am mistaken, I was under the impression that all the PCR test results from Clarity at LAX come with a QR code. What did batmandds do wrong the first time around to get a PCR test without a QR code?

Clarity even shows a sample of what their test results look like (with QR code) on their website. https://claritymv.com/wp-content/upl...LETED__QR_.pdf
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Thanks CLEguy. Live and learn. We did get "upgrades" to upper Nile View rooms but that was it. And we only had time for one breakfast so it was not a big deal.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Sadly yes. I'll avoid RCs in the future.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Wow: another great trip report. My hats off to you for travelling all that way and getting so much in with such a short amount of time. It's impressive given the bureaucracies of today's pandemic travel. I had previously stayed at the Ritz Carlton Cairo when it was flagged as a Hilton (2007). It looks like an impressive renovation that is finally complete. Stay safe!
Thanks very much worldtraveller73. We really lucked out with our tours and were amazed that we were able to see all the sights we wanted to see in 2 days.

Originally Posted by daniellam
Unless I am mistaken, I was under the impression that all the PCR test results from Clarity at LAX come with a QR code. What did batmandds do wrong the first time around to get a PCR test without a QR code? Clarity even shows a sample of what their test results look like (with QR code) on their website. https://claritymv.com/wp-content/upl...LETED__QR_.pdf
He already had a PCR test from MSP but without a QR code. He only did the rapid antigen test the first time at Clarity... a back up for our return to the US. So he had to go back for the Clarity PCR with QR code once AF rejected the non-QR code MSP PCR test.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Egyptair Back to Cairo

We bid adieu to our wonderful guide Nermeen and headed into Luxor International.

Once again, not one but two security checks, one to get to the check-in counters...

... and another to get to the departure gate area...

Three VIP Lounges? Someone here is very optimistic.

Luxor to Cairo
Egyptair 75
A220-300
3:35p-4:45p
November 9, 2021
Economy Exit Row

On our return, Business Class on this flight was sold out when we booked. After our morning flight down, this turned out to be a blessing. We paid only $60 and got the best seats on the plane, for free, when Egyptair opened exit row seating for free at T-72. Even better as my Star Alliance Gold status allowed me to board the empty priority Business Class bus to our plane.

Whoa. Why buy a Business Class ticket when this is available for half price?

Complimentary water once in the air.

Back in Cairo, we headed out to meet our driver Assem.

Traffic back to the Ritz was miserable. Even worse as we spent some 20 bumper-to-bumper minutes in a poorly ventilated mile long tunnel. OMG, so this is what running a car in a closed garage feels like. About 1/2 mile from the Ritz, traffic simply stopped. After 5 minutes, we decided to get out and just walk, hoping that Assem would escape and be able to pick us up four hours later.

After a quick trip to the room, back to the lobby bar for a couple of drinks.

And then up to the roof for dinner at Nox. Nice nightime views of Cairo and The Nile.

Photo from ritzcarlton.com

Perfect night for dinner outside on the terrace.

lamphs, Hoyaheel and nequine like this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cairo to Paris

Assem eventually escaped the earlier Cairo traffic gridlock and picked us up at 11pm. Less than 30 minutes later we were at the airport, where check-in counters were crowded just under 3 hours from departure.

With that list, no wonder the Sky Priority line was packed.

But it moved and we had plenty of time. Once we got to front of the line, check-in was smooth but, consistent with our arrival, no La Première ground services were offered. Docs checked included our impressive and very official looking Covid test results. Passport control and security was uncrowded and efficient.

The old CAI Premium Lounge was a dump from which another security check was required. So I was looking forward to visiting the NEW Ahlein Premium Lounge.

OK, major league improvement. This is actually a real lounge.

We did quick tour and discovered a private lounge, available for rent, for just $5. So we settled in and only had to chase away one set of interlopers that tried to enter.

Nice-ish looking food options from what was mostly a point-and-we'll-bring-to-you service.

Still full from dinner, I just went with something from the DEN Sky Club three days earlier.

At around T-50, we headed for our gate, and with no further security check.

Cairo to Paris
Air France 567
777-300ER (77W) with no La Première cabin
2:20a-6:00a
November 10, 2021
Business Class

At this point, exhaustion finally won out as I didn't take any more pics until Paris. We had the same plane and same seats as our CDG-CAI flight some 48 hours earlier.

I reclined my seat right after take-off and slept most of the way to Paris. A full breakfast service was served and it actually smelled and looked very good, as much I could tell by looking at a nearby tray.

For more pics and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 26, 2021 at 12:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.