FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cairo, the Pyramids and Luxor via Air France La Première
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:59 am
SFO777
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
On the camera front, I believe that they're just trying to get around the copyright rules or, more simply, to boost gift shop and licensing revenue. Anyone who wants a quality image suitable for any kind of publication or commercial use -- or even just for enlargement and framing -- is going to need a real camera. So banning real cameras effectively means that payment is required even where copyright laws, on account of an artwork's age, no longer provide any protection.
This is another wonderful trip report, by the way!
Thanks very much FallenPlat. I think you nailed it on trying to boost revenues. 200EGP for a camera permit seemed a little excessive though and not sure how many takers they get considering that the latest iPhones take pretty amazing quality pics.

Originally Posted by lamphs
It is an tunnel entrance to the main chamber located at the top of the pyramid...essentially a room. While the entrance looks wide, it becomes quite narrow inside. It is quite an experience.
Looking at SFO777's pics, there are actually tourists there now. When I was at both the museum and the pyramids in May 2021, I could count the number of tourists on one hand. The vendors were certainly hurting.
Thank you lamphs. You definitely lucked out in May. Our guide mentioned that it had only been in the last 2-3 months when tourists have started to return.

Originally Posted by ffI
I actually think SFO777 takes along a few others under the seat to finish the food. It is always the only thing that makes me question his TRs. Did he really do all that food in that time or did he find a few pictures from AF brochure?
That is too simple an explanation.
LOL. With Air France, it's hard to resist. You do what you have to do absent a smaller portion size tasting menu.

Originally Posted by ffI
When we visited Cairo in 2010 Nov, I think this terminal was being upgraded and looks a lot better. But the line for visas has not changed. :-)
The line only took 5-6 minutes and there were three separate kiosks. On my last visit a few years ago, my RJ E75 flight had a lot fewer passengers and I was the only person in line.

Originally Posted by ffI
In 2010 as well we could not take pictures inside, especially in the Tut exhibit; by now with cell phone cameras I think times have changed.
Indeed, plus it's probably futile to even see, let alone police small cell phones.

Originally Posted by ffI
The pyramids were once covered in polished marble - one of them still has the smooth surface on top. Over time, that skin was removed - Much of it, like the Parthenon and the Coliseum, used for houses and palaces nearby I think
- followed by removal of stone layers- and the grave robbers finally got to the openings to the tombs which can now be seen - these were the passages cut by grave robbers
Previously one could climb the pyramids to the top; now forbidden I think
You can also go and see the insides of the pyramids - we did so - the main ones were OK but a slight wait in line.
At the smaller Queens pyramids, it was very claustrophobic as the way in was sloped at 45 degrees and not more than 4 ft high so we had to stoop quite a bit
There was only 1 entry and after 30 of us had gone in and found a 1 foot ledge to stand on around a 10 foot drop into a burial pit / trench, somebody had the bright idea of sending in 20 more !
That was the time I really regretted taking a bulky camera bag - with it behind me, I was standing leaning precariously over the pit; with it in front it was hard to bend
What with the hot temperatures (even in Nov) and watching the kids not fall in - it was an experience not to be repeated.
This was not a Disney experience with safety rails or even ropes - am still amazed none of us fell in in the pressing crowds.
I am not kidding - the grave robbers certainly had their work cut out for them. I am still amazed that some of the stone sarcophagi were ever removed from the tombs
We did have the option of going into one of the pyramids but our guide warned us of what noted... claustrophobic and low ceilings. Just didn't seem worth the time and effort with our timing. And we did laugh about the general lack of safety rails or ropes and mused that no way this would be permitted in the the US.

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Great report. I would love to see the Pyramids some day.
Thanks so much HawaiiTrvlr. They were very impressive and worth the trip.

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Gosh, Bellevoye Rouge as the whisky in LP? That's an interesting choice - it's pretty for from top end (is £57 a bottle here), and, as you say, horrible!
Glad it's not just me that thinks that. It could probably be used as paint remover.

Originally Posted by zappa42m
Dear SFO777
What kind of tests do you make? Antigen or PCR?
I took a PCR test outbound, although I didn't need it since my French Pass Sanitaire was all I needed to enter Egypt. On the return, we just did the antigen test in Cairo since that is all the US requires for re-entry.