Wiki Posts
Search

Moving Back to Colorado

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Amazing trip report as always! Glad to see some things on FlyerTalk do not change. Now that I'm back to traveling again, I'm excited to catch up on your shenanigans. Hopefully, everyone leaving Orange County makes Newport Beach just cheap enough for me to move back for when the Mrs. Chiffy starts grade school at UCI. Scottsdale is nice but I miss the ocean no matter how crazy California gets.
You might want to change that typo which could land you in the hoosegow for decades!
SFO777, wrp96 and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
LMAO. Done.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Settling into Denver

We're starting to settle in, spending more time with our granddaughter, and dinner out. Tonight down to Larimer Square and wonderful Rioja.

From riojadenver.com...

OMG, my artichoke tortelloni was amazing, with artichoke-goat cheese mousse, white truffle brodo, queso de mano, chervil.

Mrs. SFO777's seared halibut.

And my delicious grilled Berkshire pork chop.

Welcome to downtown Denver. LOL.

Dinner on the roof top patio of our apartment.

And then there was my brief 48 hour junket to Paris CDG and ATH, starting with the inaugural Air France Denver-Paris nonstop.

Flight was OK but the best part was buying the CDG La Première ground package available to recent La Première passengers on flights without a La Première cabin.

Some highlights of our 9 hour visit...

After a quick overnight at the Sofitel Athens Airport, a short morning flight to Frankfurt and then the newly reopened First Class Lounge.

And after a miserable trek to our gate, the oasis that is Lufthansa 748 First Class...

For the full report on this trip, visit SFO777.com.

Back home, dinner at Barolo Grill in Cherry Creek. A few pics from barologrilldenver.com.

Our table.

Truffle night...

Halibut pour Madame.

Duck pour moi.

Awwwww.

And then off again to DIA for a quick business trip to Syracuse and upstate New York. Breakfast at the new-ish DEN Amex Centurion Lounge.

The egg, cheese and spicey tomato dish was excellent and fortunuately filling...

As this was the "meal" on my 3 hour United Express nonstop to SYR.

On the other hand, I connected at ORD on my return and was fortunate to book UA's ORD-DEN lie flat 777.

A few days later, dinner at Narrative at The Jacquard. Pic from narrativecherrycreek.com.

Mrs. SFO777's steak frites.

And my delicious short ribs.

Later that week, my latest attempt at replicating Alain Ducasse's Coquillettes jambon a la Truffe Noir.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 11, 2021 at 8:37 pm
Old Aug 7, 2021, 3:31 pm

I'll be out to visit family near Nederland in late August. I may just stay in Denver for a night to try to one of those many restaurants you've reported!
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Sorry for the delay in responding to all. It's been a busy two months.

Thanks very much wakesetter93. We've been here two months and I'm actually enjoying apartment living... and being so close to great restaurants, shopping...

... and our precious now 4 month old granddaughter. Thank you adampenrith.

Thanks sonomawine. We're enjoying being back... all except the timid (or stoned) drivers that believe you must drive 5 mph BELOW the speed limit. Sheesh.

Thanks very much flyingmad.

Thank you WolfieG.

Florida is indeed attractive.... but only half the year. There is no way we could put up with that summer heat and humidity.

LOL. Indeed.

Thanks so much El_Chiflero. OC and the OC weather were great, but it was time to move on.

Congrats seat38a. We've just starting looking around for the right suburb and really like the feel of Littleton. Nice homes, nice areas and still close to the city. Let me know when you've settled in. We can celebrate our escape from Gov. Gruesome.
Shhhhh, keep that a secret. Let everyone else know that Aurora is the best. In line right now for a new build in Littleton right now.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
How was Pittsburg? I have managed to avoid going to my corporate offices there - for what seems like a couple of years now, but thats going to change here in a couple of weeks as Im booked for the entire week. Going to get down to West Virginia as its one a the very few States that I haven't stepped foot in.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lamphs
I'll be out to visit family near Nederland in late August. I may just stay in Denver for a night to try to one of those many restaurants you've reported!
I'll post pics of few more before you get here.

Originally Posted by seat38a
Shhhhh, keep that a secret. Let everyone else know that Aurora is the best. In line right now for a new build in Littleton right now.
LOL. Great idea. Good luck on the move.

Originally Posted by glasman19
How was Pittsburgh? I have managed to avoid going to my corporate offices there - for what seems like a couple of years now, but thats going to change here in a couple of weeks as Im booked for the entire week. Going to get down to West Virginia as its one a the very few States that I haven't stepped foot in.
I enjoy Pittsburgh although didn't spend much time here this trip. When you go try a restaurant on Mt. Washington overlooking the city.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Our day in Vail

SFO777jr-LAX and the grand kids visited for three days mid July. We all headed up to Vail to check out the summer Adventure Pass activities.

Traffic great until 7 miles before the Tunnel, when it came to a halt and was bumper to bumper. No idea why although Apple Maps showed construction. Sure enough, down to one lane for the last mile and thousands of orange cones. With not a hint of actual construction work.

These were the only "workers" we saw.

40 mph speed limit?? LOL..

Work Zone Ahead... more lies from CDOT.

Nothing. Zero. Nada.

A half hour later...

The parking garage was surprisingly full. OK, free all day summer parking explains that one.

Heading up in the gondola.

With CDOT workers gone for the day, we got back to Denver in about 75 minutes. Freshened up and then headed to Table 6 for dinner. Pic from table6denver.com.

The next day, we had planned to hike Red Rocks but some of us were still sore from yesterday's 4 mile hike at Vail. I suggested TopGolf. Alas I neglected to reserve in advance, not realizing that it was half-price Tuesday. We passed on the 2.5 hour wait and headed to the movies and the very entertaining Black Widow.

And then dinner at Matsuhisa. Pic from matsuhisarestaurants.com/denver

OMG, what an amazing dinner.

DFW_CK, offerendum, lamphs and 3 others like this.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 21, 2021 at 8:59 am
Old Aug 13, 2021, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
With CDOT workers gone for the day, we got back to Denver in about 75 minutes.
I went to state school, so math is not my strong suit, but uhh...hmm.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
Thank you for continuing to update this TR! Glad to see you're settling in well. Feel free to share more house hunting pictures!
Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by CLEguy
I went to state school, so math is not my strong suit, but uhh...hmm.
That does seem very quick from Vail to Denver. Though, I spent a year and a bit based in Denver, and once drove down from Aspen to Denver very late at night (leaving Aspen around 11PM), and I will say that when there isn't much traffic, you can really put your foot down and get some speed going on I70.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
You're giving me an ever increasing list of restaurants to try the next time I make it up to Denver! Glad to see you all are settling in nicely
Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by somemale
Thank you for continuing to update this TR! Glad to see you're settling in well. Feel free to share more house hunting pictures!
Thanks very much somemale. More house hunting pics coming.

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
That does seem very quick from Vail to Denver. Though, I spent a year and a bit based in Denver, and once drove down from Aspen to Denver very late at night (leaving Aspen around 11PM), and I will say that when there isn't much traffic, you can really put your foot down and get some speed going on I70.
Yeah, it was Monday afternoon and very little traffic going back.

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
You're giving me an ever increasing list of restaurants to try the next time I make it up to Denver! Glad to see you all are settling in nicely
Thanks wakesetter93. The Denver restaurant scene is really impressive. Far better than in Orange County.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Today we're heading south to Parker to show Mrs. SFO777 the area and drive by a few homes. But first, someone has her priorities. LOL.

Thirty minutes later, down I-25 and E470, we're in Parker. Some nice areas but we crossed Parker off the list, with its seemingly never ending progression of crappy retail strip centers and tens of thousands of new tract homes.

On our way back north, we stopped at Seasons 52 at Park Meadows in Lone Tree. Pic from the Seasons52 website.

The next morning, I'm off to Pittsburgh. Breakfast in the Centurion Lounge.

Mainline United nonstop to The Burgh.

Older and wiser, I brought my own DIY tumbler and limes.

Crappy UA "lunch" options of inedible green/blue sandwiches or the Tapas Snack Box.

Yeah, that's heathly.

After morning meetings with a supplier east of Pittsburgh, the 90 minute drive back to the airport for my 5:15pm PIT-DEN nonstop. Interesting and very familiar logo on the way at IN & OUT Tire Lube. Imitation is the best form of flattery... until the lawyers start calling.

I arrived with enough time for quick stop (for limes) at the pleasant The Club.

Sadly, still on the Covid protocal so none of the usual Pittsburgh food specialties.

On board, food options were the same as yesterday. So I took the Tapas box for the smoked almonds.

Fortunately, I wisely bought some spicy tuna rolls in the terminal.

We arrived DEN at Gate B10 (seemingly near Wyoming), and my first view of the new B concourse extension.

Back home, my quarterly shipment from Flaviar, a Fathers Day gift from SFO777jr-LAX.

A few days later, we did our next round of suburb home exploring and almost put an offer on a home in Littleton. Then downtown for dinner, back to Larimer Square.

And a place called Bistro Vendome.

Not the best start as I rejected the first two tables and finally settled for quiet table in the "wine cellar".

While the food was good, the wine selections were disappointing, borderline pathetic. I order a bottle of Chablis (one of only 5 Chardonnays on the menu) only to be told that they'd run out. "We only ordered 8 bottles". LOL​

Mrs. SFO777 loved her onion soup.

My steak tartar was excellent.

My sea bass was outstanding as were the delicious frites.

The next night, we picked up the Denver kids and our granddaughter for dinner at 801 Chophouse, at Cherry Creek Shopping Center. Pic from shopcherrycreek.com.

Pic from 801chophouse.com.

A far contrast to last night, this place has an amazing and extensive wine list.

Bacon wrapped scallops. Meh.

On the other hand, my wedge salad was very good.

My filet was fabulous and perfectly medium rare plus.

The next morning from my office, yeah that's not for me.

Dinner at home a few days later, Mrs. SFO777's delicious beet salad with panko fried goat cheese.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 28, 2021 at 2:29 pm
Old Aug 22, 2021, 1:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Today we're heading south to Parker to show Mrs. SFO777 the area and drive by a few homes. But first, someone has her priorities. LOL.

Thirty minutes later, down I-25 and E470, we're in Parker. Some nice areas but we crossed Parker off the list, with its seemingly never ending progression of crappy retail strip centers and tens of thousands of new tract homes.

On our way back north, we stopped at Seasons 52 at Park Meadows in Lone Tree. Pic from the Seasons52 website.

The next morning, I'm off to Pittsburgh. Breakfast in the Centurion Lounge.

Mainline United nonstop to The Burgh.

Older and wiser, I brought my own DIY tumbler and limes.

Crappy UA "lunch" options of inedible green/blue sandwiches or the Tapas Snack Box.

Yeah, that's heathly.

After morning meetings with a supplier east of Pittsburgh, the 90 minute drive back to the airport for my 5:15pm PIT-DEN nonstop. Interesting and very familiar logo on the way at IN & OUT Tire Lube. Imitation is the best form of flattery... until the lawyers start calling.

I arrived with enough time for quick stop (for limes) at the pleasant The Club.

Sadly, still on the Covid protocal so none of the usual Pittsburgh food specialties.

On board, food options were the same as yesterday. So I took the Tapas box for the smoked almonds.

Fortunately, I wisely bought some spicy tuna rolls in the terminal.

We arrived DEN at Gate B10 (seemingly near Wyoming), and my first view of the new B concourse extension.

Back home, my quarterly shipment from Flaviar, a Fathers Day gift from SFO777jr-LAX.

A few days later, we did our next round of suburb home exploring and almost put an offer on a home in Littleton. Then downtown for dinner, back to Larimer Square.

And a place called Bistro Vendome.

Not the best start as I rejected the first two tables and finally settled for quiet table in the "wine cellar".

While the food was good, the wine selections were disappointing, borderline pathetic. I order a bottle of Chablis (one of only 5 Chardonnays on the menu) only to be told that they'd run out. "We only ordered 8 bottles". LOL​

Mrs. SFO777 loved her onion soup.

My steak tartar was excellent.

My sea bass was outstanding as were the delicious frites.

The next night, we picked up the Denver kids and our granddaughter for dinner at 801 Chophouse, at Cherry Creek Shopping Center. Pic from shopcherrycreek.com.

Pic from 801chophouse.com.

A far contrast to last night, this place has an amazing and extensive wine list.

Bacon wrapped scallops. Meh.

On the other hand, my wedge salad was very good.

My filet was fabulous and perfectly medium rare plus.

The next morning from my office, yeah that's not for me.

Dinner at home a few days later, Mrs. SFO777's delicious beet salad with panko fried goat cheese.

For more pics and an HD version of this report, please visit SFO777.com...

Off to Denver
And back later that day
Off to Denver Again
JW Marriott Denver Cherry Creek
Denver Apartment Hunting
Back to LAX
On the road again... to Las Vegas
500 miles of Arizona, Utah and Colorado
And finally Denver...
Waiting for the movers to arrive
Settling into Denver
Our day at Vail
Dining around Denver and more

Additional installments available on SFO777.com. Will post to FT as soon as possible.

August in Denver

Still to come...
• Exploring and house hunting in metro Denver burbs
Its official, I'm going to have to reference all of your post to know where to eat in Denver. I got my ballot in the mail. I get to throw Newsom out before heading on out for CO next month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.