Search

Moving Back to Colorado

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
JW Marroitt Denver Cherry Creek

Late Saturday and fortunately not much traffic on I-70 to the Colorado Blvd. exit.

We (or rather Mrs. SFO777) decided that we should stay at the JW Cherry Creek instead of my Cherry Creek favorite, the Jacquard. Once a really nice hotel, The JW is now just an OK hotel in a good location. But at least we were able to use our Bonvoy free night certificates so our only cost was the $49 a day valet parking fee.

Our 5th floor room was nice enough but that's where it ended, with the JW and Marriott taking full advantage of Covid B.S. excuses to provide no amenities or service. And housekeeping was on request only with a minimum 24 hour notice. No glasses, no robes, no slippers, no coffee cups, no water pitcher for the water station down the hall. And no sign of our pre-requested humdifier. Oh yeah, and no Do Not Disturb sign... I guess because housekeeping is on demand only. Sheesh. It only took 30 minutes for housekeeping to deliver all of the above while I walked around the corner to Whole Foods to save $100 on bottled water for the weekend.

The only redeeming feature about the JW is Richard Sandoval's Toro Latin Kitchen. His Denver-based chain has 50+ restaurants around the world including the fabulous Toro Toro at the Grosvenor House in Dubai.

We met SFO777Jr and Mrs. SFO777Jr in the lobby for our 7:15pm reservation.

The Sweet Corn Empanada was wonderful.

Blackened Tuna Tacos. Yummy.

Octopus Anticucho. Really good.

The Salmon was spectacular, with achiote marinade, dashi braised bok choy, bacon morita bacon jam and achiote ponzu.

The Lomo Saltado, beef filet with creamy jasmine rice and sweet and sour heirloom tomatoes, was outstanding.

And some great sides.

For dessert, OMG... La Bomba was to die for. A chocolate sphere with cookie crumbles, seasonal berries, assorted sorbets and ice creams. And what a show. Our server smashed La Bomba onto a plastic sheet, and we had at it.

Yeah, we did a number on it.

When we sat down at our table, we had been told that we had 90 minutes time limit. LOL. Well, nearly four hours later we were still there, apparently having ordered enough food and wine to justiify our squatting.

Back to our room, not surprisingly the same trash from five hours earlier was still by the elevators. It was also there the next morning. The carpets in the hall were filthy and looked like they hadn't been vacuumed in a week. When I mentioned it to the front desk manager, he apologized and said he would have housekeeping vaccum the hall. Nothing came of that and the carpet had still not been vacuumed by the time we left two days later.

Last edited by SFO777; May 1, 2021 at 10:59 am
Old Apr 29, 2021, 12:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thank you very much mileageking.

Thanks glasman19. Totally agree. We figured what that we may as well cash out now while we can and escape. LOL on the wooden utensils. Those were actually Amex CL utensils. No utensils on DL since DL doesn't even serve meals.

Thanks so much safari ari. Yeah, that's what we're worried about. Hey ex-Californians, you're leaving for a reason. Don't bring that California crap with you.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...sday%20morning.

This is the NEW OC. When swat team and pistol whipping is the norm now I guess. When stuff like this happens in Irvine you know its time to get out.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Great report as always, SFO777. I flew Delta this past weekend from MSP to MCO in F, and found the service to be very good, and at least a full drink service. I did miss enjoying a meal on a flight of this length in pre-pandemic times, but instead had a box of snacks which I didn't touch that many of. Looking forward to when there are definitely more food options brought back.

Good luck in your home search in Colorado. My wife and I are beginning to look for a new home ourselves and what a market it is ...

Looking forward to your next report. All best,

Matthew
Old Apr 30, 2021, 5:21 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Nice report! Thanks for sharing.

Do I see it correctly that booze at DL Lounge in DEN is self-pour? I though only ex-NW World Clubs are (were?) self-pour...
Old Apr 30, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Great as always SFO777. It is absolutely disgraceful what hotels are justifying these days due to "Covid." I put it in quotes because we all know at this point these changes are not going away. Say goodbye to daily housekeeping, typical food service, etc. besides at the very top hotels.

I had a very good stay at the JW Cherry Creek a few years ago, sad to see it's kind of crap now.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 8:54 am

I noticed the Clif Bar that Delta served. I thought that Clif is relatively pricey and it made for a nice meal. Then I noticed it was the 'mini' version!
Old May 1, 2021, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seat38a
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...sday%20morning.
This is the NEW OC. When swat team and pistol whipping is the norm now I guess. When stuff like this happens in Irvine you know its time to get out.
Yep. And we closed on our sale yesterday so we are officially (almost) outta here.

Originally Posted by 757
Great report as always, SFO777. I flew Delta this past weekend from MSP to MCO in F, and found the service to be very good, and at least a full drink service. I did miss enjoying a meal on a flight of this length in pre-pandemic times, but instead had a box of snacks which I didn't touch that many of. Looking forward to when there are definitely more food options brought back. Good luck in your home search in Colorado. My wife and I are beginning to look for a new home ourselves and what a market it is ...
Looking forward to your next report. All best, Matthew
Thanks very much Matthew. Good luck on your home search.

Originally Posted by TPJ
Nice report! Thanks for sharing. Do I see it correctly that booze at DL Lounge in DEN is self-pour? I though only ex-NW World Clubs are (were?) self-pour...
Thank you TPJ. Yes, booze was on the counter for all of us to have at it and self-pour.

Originally Posted by UAL250
Great as always SFO777. It is absolutely disgraceful what hotels are justifying these days due to "Covid." I put it in quotes because we all know at this point these changes are not going away. Say goodbye to daily housekeeping, typical food service, etc. besides at the very top hotels. I had a very good stay at the JW Cherry Creek a few years ago, sad to see it's kind of crap now.
Thanks so much UAL250. How true with some hotels. Covid, covid, covid is a convenient excuse to cut expenses and service. I would never go back to that JW.

Originally Posted by lamphs
I noticed the Clif Bar that Delta served. I thought that Clif is relatively pricey and it made for a nice meal. Then I noticed it was the 'mini' version!
And you know that DL got a good deal on those minis.
Old May 1, 2021, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Denver Apartment Hunting

I headed out for the nearby Starbucks for Mrs. SFO777's grande triple shot caramel macchiato.

Breakfast.

And exploring a few options, this one in the heart of Cherry Creek.

And another option...

Next up, lunch.... at nearby North Italia, just up the block from the JW.

Delicious Wild Shrimp Scampi with amazing grilled bread.

And yummy Bolognese with tagliatelle.

After a relaxing afternoon, we headed for dinner at Nobu's nearby Matsuhisa.

As good as ever.

Next morning, back at it with more potential Cherry Creek apartments.

And then downtown to Parq on Speer. Very cool.

And Parq Barq in case we want to get a doggie.

As temps plunged, the snow started but we made it to tonight's restaurant, the wonderful Root Down in The Highlands, just west of I-25 and downtown.

Cool decor.

With amazing food. Colombian Arepas... Corn Cake, Mozzarella, Poblano Pistachio Pesto, Achiote Crema & Pico de Gallo.. Wow.

And the incredible Devils on Horseback...Tender Belly Bacon, Smoked Almonds, Gournay Cheese Fondue, Peppadew Peppers & Sherry Gastrique.

Risotto... peas, asparagus, roasted mushrooms, marscarpone, pecorino, black quinoa and pickled rhubarb. Yum.

Diver Scallops... plantain hash, kale, edamame, fried capers, pickled red onions and lemon habanero tartar sauce.

And amazing mains...

Moroccan Roasted Chicken... Charred Broccoli, Harissa Carrot, Medjool Date, Lentil Salsa Verde, Preserved Lemon Yogurt & Black Tahini.. OMG.

And wonderful chocolate and banana cream desserts.

Back at the JW, winter is back with snow and temps down in the teens.

Last edited by SFO777; May 5, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Old May 2, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Interesting trip report on rental options.

Super impressed that a rental has subzero and wolf - we are gut rehabbing a place and you would be shocked at the backlog for subzero and wolf.

Ironically, we are in Breckenridge (trying to suck all the value out of my veteran epic ski pass) - we are thinking of stopping by Cherry Creek later today for a late lunch before our flight.

Congrats on the quick home sale - prices are going crazy in the places where people want to live (e.g., Colorado, Florida, Texas etc.) and good luck with the move and home search!
Old May 2, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Nice report!

It's certainly a seller's market right now in a lot of places where people are fleeing to. Taking a year to rent and finding the best option isn't the worst thing, and maybe if you're lucky the market may soften a little bit in that time.

Originally Posted by ordogg
Congrats on the quick home sale - prices are going crazy in the places where people want to live (e.g., Colorado, Florida, Texas etc.) and good luck with the move and home search!
You can add North Carolina to that list too. Everything is selling above asking with multiple offers, it's wild.
Old May 2, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Let us know when you are back in Denver. If you settle in Cherry Creek, I will wave each time I walk my client's dog down in the shopping area.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
I have a friend that bought in the Margaritaville development in Kissimmee 2 years ago at $950k - he's getting unsolicited cash offers north of $1.5 right now. insane
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton
Welcome to Denver SFO777,
I know the Market is crazy...even my partner is a relator here...we rent out in Ken Caryl. Hope to meet or see you some time @Dia or around the city.
Old May 5, 2021, 5:58 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
OMG!!! Thank heavens you have seen the light and decided to return to a normal state. Come stay at my place. My wine fridge is full to the bream, we have an amazing cheese importer in my town and I have finally found a place that sells duck liver pate that doesn't taste like it was strained through a jock strap. Call me - let's have lunch!
Mwenenzi, ordogg, lamphs and 8 others like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eightblack
OMG!!! Thank heavens you have seen the light and decided to return to a normal state. Come stay at my place. My wine fridge is full to the bream, we have an amazing cheese importer in my town and I have finally found a place that sells duck liver pate that doesn't taste like it was strained through a jock strap. Call me - let's have lunch!
Can I come too? Will bring a surfeit of beverages of the alcohol-based varieties.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.