Search

36 hours in Dubai via Emirates Incredible New First Class Suites

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mucaari
Very nice trip report, enjoyed reading about some actual travel taking place!nnHow did it feel in Dubai regarding Covid? Thinking about flying back to Europe for a family visit from HK and realized it might be possible to stop by Dubai for a couple of days along the way. Did you have to do a test and wait for the result at Dubai, or bringing a negative test to check-in was fine. Were most things operating? How busy is the city?
Thank you mucaari. Other than people wearing masks, Dubai felt perfectly normal and busy, at least in the Marina. Restaurants and bars were open albeit some with reduced hours. As US residents, all we needed was a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of our Emirates departure from JFK. We did not need one out as the US did not (at least at the time of our flight) require one. Once in Dubai, unless you are connecting, the requirement for a test to board your departing flight will depend on your destination. If you choose to stop in Dubai, you will not be able your HKG PCR test even if it the test was taken within 72 hours of your DXB-EU departure.

Originally Posted by PerStockholm
Thanks for another excellent trip report. 2020 was a catastrophic year from a travel perspective for me and the wife. We’ve always travelled as much as humanly possible but Covid-19 stopped everything and we’ve been stuck in Sweden since March. Fortunately, we’ve been able to travel domestically and not been under lockdown (and even more fortunately, we’ve both stayed healthy), but I’m getting closer and closer to insanity for each passing day. This report gave us some hope again and we just booked a trip to Dubai. Thanks SFO777!
Thanks so much PerStockholm. So glad to hear that haven't had to endure the ridiculous lockdowns of other countries. Sweden certainly looks like one of the few intelligent countries in dealing with Covid. Good for you for booking a trip to Dubai. It is open and wonderful as always. Test negative and you are welcomed to come. What a concept.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Cheap ground champagne

Originally Posted by cmd320
I had to laugh at the cheap ground champagne still being better than most US airlines' business class champagnes.

I was surprised to see EK serving that tasteless Veuve Clicquot NV champagne on the ground. You wouldn't see that on CX or SQ in long haul first class.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR guy
I was surprised to see EK serving that tasteless Veuve Clicquot NV champagne on the ground. You wouldn't see that on CX or SQ in long haul first class.
It is kind of funny. In my experience, that only happens in out stations. In DXB, I’ve always gotten Dom.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Bucket list for sure.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
It's nice to read an international SFO777 trip report again! Comments as usual:

What’s the point of having shrink-wrapped plates for display purposes only below flight information display screens in the LAX Admirals Club?

At least you got one of the 772s with the Collins Super Diamond seat on your outbound flight, rather than the backwards/forwards Safran Concept D seats of your return. The Super Diamond seats are very similar to the Safran Cirrus Flagship First seats on the A321, so hopefully it wasn't too much of a downgrade. I’m intrigued why the menu says Flagship First, when presumably this was Flagship Business? Why are AA still using plastic glasses in premium cabins?

Is the terrace/bridge part of the lounge open in the Admirals Club in JFK? The TWA Hotel is definitely on my list of places to visit! The design of the Amex Centurion lounges at both LAX and JFK is certainly a cut above the usual North American domestic lounge, and the catering looks more than decent.

All the bling of Emirates First Class is not for me, but the new 77W suites do look like mini private jets and are unquestionably impressive. Small details like the ability to individually control each window blind are well thought out. The food selection and presentation all looks excellent, although three curry main courses on the return sector is an odd mix. The amenity kit bags look a little underwhelming from the outside. It’s nice that EK have created a separate F area in the J lounge at DXB - similar to what BA have done in the Galleries First lounge at LHR with the Concorde Terrace, whilst the Concorde Room is closed.

Dubai has never really grabbed me, but I’d take any destination if it meant international travel right now (we are almost 6 weeks into our third national lockdown in the UK). Grosvenor House looks very comfortable without being too over-the-top - a welcome change in Dubai, I’d imagine.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 10:14 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
I really enjoy all the pictures that you put up. Pictures really are worth a 1000 words! Thanks again, SFO777. Emirates First is probably not going to be in my plans for awhile. The color lighting would stay off, LOL. But Dubai is. as there is the Expo Dubai in the fall. And I want to do a cruise that sails from Dubai. So Dubai March 2022, here I come!
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
It's nice to read an international SFO777 trip report again! Comments as usual:
What’s the point of having shrink-wrapped plates for display purposes only below flight information display screens in the LAX Admirals Club?
At least you got one of the 772s with the Collins Super Diamond seat on your outbound flight, rather than the backwards/forwards Safran Concept D seats of your return. The Super Diamond seats are very similar to the Safran Cirrus Flagship First seats on the A321, so hopefully it wasn't too much of a downgrade. I’m intrigued why the menu says Flagship First, when presumably this was Flagship Business? Why are AA still using plastic glasses in premium cabins?
Is the terrace/bridge part of the lounge open in the Admirals Club in JFK? The TWA Hotel is definitely on my list of places to visit! The design of the Amex Centurion lounges at both LAX and JFK is certainly a cut above the usual North American domestic lounge, and the catering looks more than decent.
All the bling of Emirates First Class is not for me, but the new 77W suites do look like mini private jets and are unquestionably impressive. Small details like the ability to individually control each window blind are well thought out. The food selection and presentation all looks excellent, although three curry main courses on the return sector is an odd mix. The amenity kit bags look a little underwhelming from the outside. It’s nice that EK have created a separate F area in the J lounge at DXB - similar to what BA have done in the Galleries First lounge at LHR with the Concorde Terrace, whilst the Concorde Room is closed.
Dubai has never really grabbed me, but I’d take any destination if it meant international travel right now (we are almost 6 weeks into our third national lockdown in the UK). Grosvenor House looks very comfortable without being too over-the-top - a welcome change in Dubai, I’d imagine.
Thanks very much Genius1. Those shrink wrapped sides are apparently supposed to entice you to order off the for sale menu. Not sure how many takers they get.

All the US3 serve drinks in plastic glasses these days. Apparently cheaper than handling and washing. I’ve learned and now to do a domestic DIY kit with tumbler like I did with BA last year.

The terrace part of the JFK AC was not open in December but I suspect it may be now with the big recent uptick in domestic travel. At LAX, the Flagship Lounge is now being used as an extension of the regular Admirals Club.

Originally Posted by not2017
I really enjoy all the pictures that you put up. Pictures really are worth a 1000 words! Thanks again, SFO777. Emirates First is probably not going to be in my plans for awhile. The color lighting would stay off, LOL. But Dubai is. as there is the Expo Dubai in the fall. And I want to do a cruise that sails from Dubai. So Dubai March 2022, here I come!
Thank you so much not2017. Hope you get to experience Dubai next year.
Genius1 likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: DL Diamond, United Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Thanks SFO777. What hotels did you consider and why? I am headed there in July and have only 1 night. My brother and I are relatively unfamiliar with the city. The food you got nearby your hotel was certainly mouthwatering and photogenic. Thanks
Old May 5, 2021, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NashVegas37206
Thanks SFO777. What hotels did you consider and why? I am headed there in July and have only 1 night. My brother and I are relatively unfamiliar with the city. The food you got nearby your hotel was certainly mouthwatering and photogenic. Thanks
Thanks NashVegas37206. Since we've both been to Dubai multiple times but never stayed in the Marina, we chose on a combination of price and location. The Grosvenor is in the heart of the Marina, highly rated and attractively price when we were there.
Old May 12, 2021, 10:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
SFO777, thanks for your trip report. was wondering if you had a choice between AF & EK which would you take? never tried La Première, thinking of giving it a shot for my next trip in Oct, but can also fly EK which i have done several times. My only issue with EK is that I usually find the food a bit meh, much more a fan of LX for example.
Old May 12, 2021, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synd
SFO777, thanks for your trip report. was wondering if you had a choice between AF & EK which would you take? never tried La Première, thinking of giving it a shot for my next trip in Oct, but can also fly EK which i have done several times. My only issue with EK is that I usually find the food a bit meh, much more a fan of LX for example.
Thank you synd. AF and EK are both excellent, IMO the two best First Class products in the world. For me, it would come down to the route(s) you are flying and whether your EK flight is the new 77W. AF CDG La Premiere ground service (PA, limo, Alain Ducasse) is the best in the world and much better than the pedestrian EK ground experience at DXB. I love AF's single row La Premiere suite, but EK's 77W New First suite would likely tip the scale to EK for me. Sadly, it is only available on limited routes. Inflight, I'd rate food about the same although overall, I prefer the variety of EK. As for wine selection both in the air and on the ground, EK is the winner.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Another awesome TR from SFO777 - thanks for sharing with us :-).
Old Jun 12, 2021, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by efincomputer
Another awesome TR from SFO777 - thanks for sharing with us :-).
Thank you very much efincomputer.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 9:37 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
As usual, a great TR.
Originally Posted by offerendum
For a leisure traveler this rules makes it nearly imposaible to travel. Even with good reason most people would think twice.
That is the reason we are grounded. Not because we can't but we won't until it is a lot easier.
We had tickets to Paris for June after vaccine early but the curfew and restrictions made it not worth the trip UK - you can forget about wasting 5 days in a hotel at Heathrow. SE Asia is having a spread of virus. China is not worth the indignity A/NZ don't want us for a year
Greece is the best bet so far
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 9:40 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by ffman999
It is kind of funny. In my experience, that only happens in out stations. In DXB, I’ve always gotten Dom.
It has to do with the tax on liquor consumed on the ground; so once you are in the air no worries.
Dubai does not penalize EK for that while on the ground there, so the good stuff can be opened early..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.