Community
Wiki Posts
Search

36 hours in Dubai via Emirates Incredible New First Class Suites

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2020, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
It looks truly spectacular. I had to laugh at the cheap ground champagne still being better than most US airlines' business class champagnes.

I'm hoping to get the time to book this product while it's still operating on JFK-DXB. I really wish they would upgrade the A380s with the same F seats because that would really be a really tough combination to beat.
S.R likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 11:26 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
It looks truly spectacular. I had to laugh at the cheap ground champagne still being better than most US airlines' business class champagnes.

I'm hoping to get the time to book this product while it's still operating on JFK-DXB. I really wish they would upgrade the A380s with the same F seats because that would really be a really tough combination to beat.
The new suites and shower+bar on the A380 really would be a game changer!!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Thanks for writing this and allowing us a little vicarious travelling. I had an Emirates First booking YYZ - DXB - SYD for January that isn't going to happen now. And it was booked with Alaska Miles. And EK isn't offering first to partners any more for the time being. So I may never make it happen (limited mileage partners in Canada). Major COVID bummer. Great photos as well.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
SFO777 nice report again - is there a divider between F and J? The mood lightings are amazing and funky, would anyone actually use it through out the flight?
Old Dec 7, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
A great report as always. EK F from DFW-DXB still ranks as probably my favorite commercial flight, and glad I did that before AS obliterated that award chart! Love that they aren't pinching pennies unlike TK, BA (well that's SOP), and the litany of North American carriers.
Thanks very much krazykanuck. Too bad that EK F awards will no longer bookable with AS, but in reality they priced themselves out of the market a few years ago. Our JFK-DXB was 150,000 AS miles while our DXB-JFK return was only 136,000 EK Skywards miles. And EK has eliminated the YQ.

Originally Posted by SFCAmom
Thanks so much!! Very helpful to know that the ‘enforcement’ is what I expected (at LAX). Yes, (unfortunately) SF is a different animal with the CV restrictions compared to the rest of the state, even though we have our own Mayor French Laundry too.. LOL
LOL. I'm sure you'll be fine getting out of SF. Enjoy Colorado.

Originally Posted by cmd320
It looks truly spectacular. I had to laugh at the cheap ground champagne still being better than most US airlines' business class champagnes. I'm hoping to get the time to book this product while it's still operating on JFK-DXB. I really wish they would upgrade the A380s with the same F seats because that would really be a really tough combination to beat.
Thanks cmd320. New First on the A380 would be amazing. The cheap JFK ground champagne must be a local NYS tax thing as we were served Dom on the ground at DXB on our return.

Originally Posted by S.R
The new suites and shower+bar on the A380 really would be a game changer!!
Oh yeah, although I'm perfectly happy with the new First on the 77W. Just wish they would retrofit the entire 77W fleet.

Originally Posted by atsak
Thanks for writing this and allowing us a little vicarious travelling. I had an Emirates First booking YYZ - DXB - SYD for January that isn't going to happen now. And it was booked with Alaska Miles. And EK isn't offering first to partners any more for the time being. So I may never make it happen (limited mileage partners in Canada). Major COVID bummer. Great photos as well.
Thank you atsak. That would have been a memorable trip. If you're still trying for Oz, I would look at still reasonable AS-priced Cathay First and especially JAL First which now flies F from HND-SYD so you could do JL First all the way. It was that return SYD-HND JL F flight that we had booked for our original routing.

Originally Posted by sl00001
SFO777 nice report again - is there a divider between F and J? The mood lightings are amazing and funky, would anyone actually use it through out the flight?
Thanks sl00001. Indeed, not only is there a divider between F and J there is essentially a divider between each F suite as each suite has a ceiling to floor door. The different light colors are fun. They are only vivid like my pics when there is very little light. I set mine at blue most of the time.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Grosvenor House
Dubai Marina

Alaska award tickets mean NO complimentary EK chauffeur service. No big deal as Uber is alive, well and inexpensive in Dubai. And our Uber Black Tesla arrived 3 minutes after I confirmed. $40 and thirty minutes later we were at Grosvenor House in the Dubai Marinia.

I found a terrific $140 a night IBM partner rate and my Marriott Platinum status got us both room upgrades, complimentary breakfast and club lounge access. Pretty sweet deal.

My one bedroom suite.

We tossed our bags in our rooms and headed downstairs for dinner at one of the hotel's dozen restaurants.

Sweet ride.

Across the street the other GH tower is ToroToro, a Richard Sandoval restaurant.

It was a gorgeous evening, so we opted for outdoor dining.

Amazing menu.

We ordered three starters each of which were incredible.

Beef steak anticucho. Wow.

Crispy prawns. Sensational.

Soft shell crab tacos. OMG.

Chilean Sea Bass.

and Seafood Tacu Tacu.

By now it was after midnight, but just across the street, Buddha-Bar was still open.

After 4 hours of sleep, I headed to the gym.

And then to breakfast around 8am, at Sloanes.

With a massive buffet spread.

Back in the suite, morning views of the Dubai Marina.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 9, 2020 at 11:45 pm
Old Dec 8, 2020, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dubai Marina Day

After a completely decadent 24 hours, we decided to try to work some of it off with a walk around the beautiful Marina. Grosvenor House in the daytime.

Fascinated by the army of workers at this construction site.

Who knew that installing flooring took two workers and three supervisors? LOL.

We logged nearly 5 miles according to my FitBit and then headed for the hotel pool.

And some shade in the available quasi-cabanas.

Great poolside service.

And a lighter lunch, excellent chicken caesar salad.

At 6pm, we headed downstairs...

... and across to Tower 2 and the Siddharta Lounge by Buddha-Bar.

And a panoramic pic from marriott.com...

For dinner tonight, we decided to go off property to the Ritz-Carlton and Amaseena, the hotel's Arabic-themed restaurant. A pleasant 3/4 mile walk.

Pic from ritz-carlton.com...

Our delicious starter.

And a variety of spreads and dips.

Live musical entertainment but sadly, no belly dancing as truth in advertising is an apparent casualty.

The main course from the grill. Simply wonderful aromas.

OMG, the best lamb chops ever.

And as if we hadn't had enough to eat, a wonderful dessert spread.

Back in the Ritz-Carlton...

... and then the walk back to Grosvenor House.

Where we headed up to the 44th floor bar for a nightcap.

\

lamphs, cmd320 and nequine like this.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 11, 2020 at 11:06 pm
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
From EK F to AA J, that must have been quite the shock.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
From EK F to AA J, that must have been quite the shock.
Could be worse. Imagine going from Emirates F to Delta (n)One.
Billiken and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by enviroian
Could be worse. Imagine going from Emirates F to Delta (n)One.
I honestly don't think I've ever flown DL One being Dallas based. I do have an AA J flight on the 789 next week. Interested to see what the service is like because of Covid
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Even worse, I went from EK F with SFO777 last week to DL Y on JFK-MSP. The proverbial slap in the face. Dom 2008 to an 8 oz bottled water. Caviar to Cheez Its.

——————-
Insta: @thedarkknightdds
Old Dec 9, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Nice trip report.

That said, IMO it is selfish and foolish to travel like this (for no reason other than your ego)
useless likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
Nice trip report. That said, IMO it is selfish and foolish to travel like this (for no reason other than your ego)
Thanks, I guess.

But... just because others don't share the same COVID risk opinion as you, is not a reason to attack those people.
Got a problem? Take it to OMNI.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Great report SFO777. I am still not in travel mode but love seeing you present it!!
batmandds likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks, I guess.

But... just because others don't share the same COVID risk opinion as you, is not a reason to attack those people.
Got a problem? Take it to OMNI.
Exactly. There’s no reason for the hate nachosdelux. Take your travel shaming opinions to OMNI and let others enjoy the trip report.

————-
Insta: @thedarkknightdds

Last edited by batmandds; Dec 9, 2020 at 8:39 pm Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.