Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Weekend In Musandam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:51 am
Original Poster

A Weekend In Musandam

My trip to the Musandam Peninsula, taking a dhow cruise through Khor ash Sham, snorkelling in the warm waters surrounding Telegraph Island, enjoying some traditional Omani Muqalai Laham and exploring the historic Khasab Fort.

Note: This trip was in January 2020 and before the UAE/Oman border closures.

A Trip to Afghanistan
A Journey Through Kyrgyzstan
A Trip Around The Arabian Gulf
A Trip To Yemen
A Trip To Jordan & Israel
A Southern African Adventure
Road Trip to Saudi Arabia & Qatar
Five Days In Japan
Underground In New Zealand
A Trip To Iran
A Trip Around The Mediterranean
A Long Weekend In Paris
A Trip To Ukraine, Belarus & Russia
A Trip To Kenya & Tanzania
Beautiful Thailand
To Muscat For A Travel Magazine
Everest in Full Picture
A Trip To Bali & Dili
A Trip To Northern Iraq
Winter Trip To Europe
Christmas In Mogadishu
A Trip To Sudan
A Trip To DR Congo & Rwanda
Twelve Days Across Africa
A Trip To Lebanon
A Long Weekend In Prague
A Trip To Laos, Vietnam & Hong Kong
Off Road In Kazakhstan
A Trip To Turkmenistan
Six Days In Sri Lanka
A Trip To Copenhagen & Stockholm
Sixteen Days In West Africa
A Trip To Maldives
A Trip To Armenia & Nagorno-Karabakh
To The Frontlines Against ISIS
A Weekend In Baku
Return To New Zealand Via South-East Asia
Three Days In Georgia
A Trip To Bulgaria
A Trip To Iceland & Greenland
Back To Southern Africa
A Trip To Canada
A Trip To Eritrea
A Trip To Romania
A Trip To Djibouti
A Trip To Bangladesh
Three Days In Mexico City
A Trip To Havana
New York, New York
Relaxing In Seychelles
Four Days In Namibia
Frankfurt To Bruges
Nine Days In Brazil
Sarajevo To Dubrovnik
Three Days In Libya
Four Days In Hong Kong
Six Days In Ethiopia
Baghdad To Basra
Chișinău To Odessa
A Trip To Bhutan
Karachi To Peshawar
Eight Days In Argentina
A Trip To Colombia
A Tourist In North Korea
Venice To Zagreb
Sixteen Days In Central America
Nine Days In Norway
One Night At A Desert Resort
Relaxing In Mauritius
Four Days In Tajikistan
A Weekend In Abu Dhabi
A Week In Mali
Summer Escape To Oman
One Night On The Palm Jumeirah
Three Nights In Dibba
A Weekend In Chittagong
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Day 1.

Heading north on the E311 just after 5pm at the start of the weekend.

Despite living in the UAE for many years I had never been to the Musandam Peninsula. Jutting into the Strait of Hormuz, the exclave of Oman is often referred to as the "Norway of Arabia" due its rugged coastline resembling the glacier-carved coasts of western Scandinavia.

Instead of glaciers howevr, plate tectonics are the cause with the Arabian plate slowly being pushed under the Eurasian continent. Hence the Musandam Peninsula is gradually sinking by 4mm per year, creating fjords as the sea water floods into the mountain valleys.

This evenings drive would be for 239 kilometers and would involve a stop for dinner at Rak Mall and one border crossing at Al Dhara.

A quick stop at an ADNOC service station on the E611 at dusk.

At the food court at Rak Mall in Ras Al Khaimah for dinner.

And about to enjoy some tasty beef, chicken and rice from Chowking.

We then made the short drive to the border crossing at Al Dhara.

And inside the lobby of the four star Atana Musandam Resort, 40 minutes and 42 kilometers later in the town of Khasab.

Our room for the next two nights. Although normally $220 a night I managed to get a very reasonable $200 special for a two night weekend stay.

First opened in 2014, the resort was both relatively modern and new but also designed with architecture and interior design reflecting Omani traditional culture and heritage.

And complete with Omani Raydan brand toiletries.

We then put Hannelie to sleep in the cot and then crawled into bed ourselves at the end of day 1.

Day 2.

Looking out of our balcony at dawn on the morning of day 2.

I then went for a short run through the streets of Khasab.

A phone box. Not sure if it was still working though!

Bakery.

A local mosque with the rocky, granite hills that surround the town in the background.

The cruise ship Horizon in the distance coming in to berth at Khasab Cruise Terminal after sailing from Muscat.

Back in our room with Hannelie now wide awake and giving her legs a good workout on the bed.

At the hotel's Al Mawra restaurant for breakfast and where they had a good selection of both Western and Arabic cuisine.

And Hannelie enjoying her breakfast on our balcony.

We then made the short drive to Khasab Port to the meeting point for our dhow cruise today.

For our cruise today we would depart from Khasab and then head east to Khor ash Sham, the longest and most dramatic of all the Musandam khors (Arabic for creek or fjord).

Rianda and Hannelie in the shade as we cruise out of port.

The Horizon now moored at Khasab Cruise Terminal.

Now heading west with two boats heading to some of the villages in Khor ash Sham.

Getting a closer look at the sheer granite cliffs at the entrance to the khor.

When then stopped just inside the khor to try and see some of the local dolphins. There is purportedly a 80% chance of seeing at least one pod during each visit so we were hopeful of at least a glimpse.

Sure enough they were out to play! They are attracted by the dhows and the water churned up in their wake and often swim alongside the passing dhows.

Dipping playfully in and out of the water, they were real delight to see.

We were a bit worried how Hannelie would handle a day out on the sea but she was fine and enjoying her very first dhow trip.

Another close up view of the rocky cliffs as we head further into the 17 kilometer long Khor ash Sham.

The small fishing village of Qanaha, accessible only by boat. There are several small villages lining the khor, each home to a few families.

The families live in the villages for six months a year, earning a living through fishing. They then decamp to Khasab to harvest dates during the summer months when the water in the khor becomes too hot for fish.

Looking across to the mountains of Shamm Peninsula.

We then moored just off Telegraph Island situated in the middle of the khor.

The name comes from the telegraph-cable repeater station built on the island by the British in 1864. The station was used to boost telegraphic messages along the Persian Gulf submarine cable which was part of the London to Karachi telegraphic cable.

Life on the island was not easy with the severe summer heat and hostility of local tribes. Because of this, the island is purportedly where the expression "go round the bend" comes from. Uncomfortable from the insufferable heat the officers were desperate to escape, which meant a voyage around the bend to the Strait of Hormuz and back to India.

Abandoned in the mid-1870s, the crumbling foundations of the repeater station and the operators' quarters are all that remain.

The island is a regular stop for the dhows, both to visit the ruins and to snorkel in the waters around it.

Some fish coming to check us out.

The colourful Butterfly fish just below the surface

And I couldn't resist jumping in for a swim too.

After our stop at Telegraph Island we raised the anchor and proceeded further west further into Khor ash Sham.

Lunch served on the dhow.

With some tasty chicken, fish, rice, hummous and bread.

We then anchored just off Seebi Island located at the end of the khor.

And another chance to swim in the crystal clear water.

Looking west with the mountains rising out of the sea in the distance.

Our skipper diving in for a sea urchin.

And a closer look at its long black spines.

We then pulled anchor again and started to make our way back towards Khasab.

Hannelie taking her afternoon nap.

The village of Sham on the northern side of Khor ash Sham and home to ~100 residents. Water is brought in by boat and is provided free by the government. Children in the village travel by boat to Khasab for school, staying in the town from Sunday to Thursday.

Looking out from the stern of the dhow as we continue cruising west.

And one last magical encounter with the playful Musandam humpback dolphins.

The cruise ship Horizon heading out of port and on to Dubai for the last leg of its Legends of Arabia cruise.

And walking back onshore after berthing at Khasab Port.

We then headed back to the Atana Musandam Resort after the memorable excursion.

In the evening we went for dinner at the hotel's Al Mawra restaurant.

Even though it was well past her bedtime Hannelie still managed a smile before passing out in her stroller.

We both decided to try some local dishes with Rianda opting for the delicious Omani Chicken Saloona, slowly cooked with oriental spices and served with makbus rice.

While I had the traditional Omani Muqalai Laham, simmered tender lamb with local spices.

We couldn't resist sharing some sweet Omani halwa for dessert .

And Hannelie fast asleep in her cot at the end of an exciting day 2.

Day 3.

I decided to head out for another short morning run to explore Khasab again on the morning of day 3.

A couple of curious local goats.

And more of them congregating outside a local mosque.

A lush local farm. Khasab derives it name from the Arabic word for 'fertile'.

And a selfie by the dinghies tied up in the man-made estuary.

Breakfast al fresco with some eggs, fresh fruit, waffles and hot black coffee.

After feeding Hannelie her morning bottle I went for a dip in the hotel infinity pool.

Luckily it was well heated otherwise I would have frozen in the 15°C morning air!

After packing up the car and checking out we went to visit the nearby Khasab Fort. Some of the local goats welcoming Rianda and Hannelie.

The fort was built by the Portuguese in the 17th century around a much older circular tower of Omani origin.

A graphic showing the history of the fort. The tower in the middle of the courtyard provided a last line of defence in case the outer walls were breached.

The fort was also later used as the home of the Wali (Governor) of Musandam.

Another graphic detailing how Musandam Peninsula was and is being gradually transformed as the Arabian plate is slowly pushed under Eurasian.

We then began the drive back to the UAE via Khasab Coastal Road.

After driving in the dark on way up on Thursday evening I was keen to enjoy the drive and scenery in the full light of day for our return.

The Old Coastal Watch Tower at Al Jadi.

Looking south with the golden sandy beach below.

And the small fishing village of Al Jadi.

Bukha Fort in the town of the same name. It was built in the 16th century by the Portugese.

And a short while later arriving back at the Al Dhara border post, ready to cross back into the UAE.

Unlike locals on both side of the border, we had to make a quick visit inside to get our passports stamped.

Stopping to get a Kentucky Burger for lunch.

And back in Dubai on the E311 after a relaxing and fun weekend in Musandam!

Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
Wow! I had no idea that such a place existed. Really beautiful, thank you for sharing. BTW you have a gorgeous daughter!
Old Jun 23, 2020, 4:35 pm

Thanks for sharing your trip and photos of your baby!
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by londonfog
Wow! I had no idea that such a place existed. Really beautiful, thank you for sharing. BTW you have a gorgeous daughter!
Many thanks, londonfog. Kicking myself we didn't visit earlier. Yes, Hannelie makes us smile everyday.
Originally Posted by halfcape
Thanks for sharing your trip and photos of your baby!
Thank you, halfcape. Was fun taking her on her first international border trip.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:33 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Krisflyer PPS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Great report - and Hannelie so cute!
Old Jun 23, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL,EK
Beautiful. I lived in the UAE for several years and only made it out there once (in 2007).
Old Jun 24, 2020, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sl00001
Great report - and Hannelie so cute!
Thanks, sl00001. We were abit worried how she would handle 6+ hours on a boat but she was really good.
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Beautiful. I lived in the UAE for several years and only made it out there once (in 2007).
Cheers, DesertNomad. Seems so surreal that it is closed off with the borders locked down now.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Daniel great report as ever. Are there no restrictions for UAE residents to visit Oman ?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:15 am

Best part of the trip report is seeing how cute your daughter is!! It's been years since mine were at that age, so brings back good memories of fatherhood!
Thanks for the interesting trip report!
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Daniel great report as ever. Are there no restrictions for UAE residents to visit Oman ?
Thank you, BRITINJAPAN4. This trip was back in January so before the (pandemic) border closure.
Originally Posted by vn33
Best part of the trip report is seeing how cute your daughter is!! It's been years since mine were at that age, so brings back good memories of fatherhood!
Thanks for the interesting trip report!
Many thanks, vn33. Yes, amazing how they grow up so fast. She is already nine months now and rapidly transforming from a baby to a little girl.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Ok thanks, solved a mystery for me !
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
What is the water temp of the water that you snorkeled in (compared to the heated pool)?
Old Jun 26, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Some really fantastic photos you got on this trip... excluding the ones of your daughter!
Old Jun 27, 2020, 1:51 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Looks like a great trip, DanielW! You have just inspired me for a new destination when things start to open up!

And just to echo others - your daughter looks so cute and delightful !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.