Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Leaving the Cold behind... SEA (Thailand, India, Singapore) with LH A380 in FIRST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving the Cold behind... SEA (Thailand, India, Singapore) with LH A380 in FIRST

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2020, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
Originally Posted by PharusPlan
Do you not care about missing insurance due to missing driving permit? I'm not in the position to cash out even one thai after an accident. That's why I don't drive in Thailand or any other country, where I don't have a permit.
I once had an accident in Thailand - and nobody asked about an international driver's license. The insurance paid without any problem.
hpschmid likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:48 am

First, the pic of the crispy pork belly made my day!, yumm!🤤
Second, 21000 USD or 2100 USD ???..Better try a comparison with a German clinic, I bet your insurance will cover that replacement. Sorry, that your hand is not healing as planned.
Loving this epic trip report, can't wait for what is coming next!
Old May 11, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: lh sen
Concerning your hand surgery ask for a second opinion at the BNH.

Ask for Apichai Chaiyaroj, M.D or Pravit Kitidumrongsook M.D. Send me a PM in case you need further assistance.

You may check this list as well:

https://bangkok.diplo.de/blob/137359...liste-data.pdf

Last edited by carpetbagger; May 11, 2020 at 2:34 pm
Old May 11, 2020, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by carpetbagger
Concerning your hand surgery ask for a second opinion at the BNH.

Ask for Apichai Chaiyaroj, M.D or Pravit Kitidumrongsook M.D. Send me a PM in case you need further assistance.

You may check this list as well:

https://bangkok.diplo.de/blob/137359...liste-data.pdf

would support that recommendation. The visit should be an easy task since you have all the scans already.
Good Luck!
Old May 11, 2020, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by ChristianKiev
I once had an accident in Thailand - and nobody asked about an international driver's license. The insurance paid without any problem.
Similar experience for some years, rental car companies don't ask much about it, the insurance company guys with the motorbikes neither as long as it is a small amount for the damage.
There are different stories when it becomes more costly.

Once, police wanted to keep my European license since my opponent and I could not settle a dispute. Then it becomes tricky.

So the easy way in Thailand is the local driver’s license for about 500THB altogether, valid for one or two years. Extension possible, for non-resident I think it will be valid two further years.
Best, ask at the Department in particular about the address confirmation. Not sure hotel confirmation is enough.

But, but, was just checking, sorry, at this point of corona the offices are closed or don't take new applications.
Old May 13, 2020, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
Tuesday, May 12, 2020

A last Japanese Bento breakfast at the WESTIN, suitcases packed, and ready we were to leave Bangkok – I’ve been honestly a bit sad.

In front of the hotel they’ve set up an outlet for free food because some people are really in need. Thailand, thumps up !

On the way we picked up our laundry, before taking the highway towards Pattaya. Today there was much more traffic than 10 days ago, when we drove the same way from Krabi.

Looks like not too many Thai are any more interested in a Virus which killed in months less people than road traffic in a single day. I’ve to say we always do have a good time when driving, listening to Russian pop music and Russian chansons.

After 1 ½ hours driving we reached Pattaya, drove straight on to Jomtien, where we rented a Pool-Villa for the rest of the month.

I know the compound very well, since 15 years ago I build a Villa in the same. Now we rented one just 2 houses further.

The landlady already waited for us, explained the (too big) Villa. Well, 4 bedrooms and 4.5 bathrooms, a huge gallery, we’ll not need. We looked at smaller Villas – but they were all not as nice.

After we stored our luggage, we drove off to Tesco Lotus, did our shopping, then further to South Pattaya, to pick up Vika, Casanova’s (actually we call him ‘Zar’) Ex. We decided better she lives with us, than in her guesthouse. Will be more fun for all of us.

On the way back we had some roadside lunch near the Villa, a pretty good Pad See Ew, with lots of crunchy vegetables.

Back to the villa where we unpacked and relaxed until dinner time.

We were up for Pizza, drove to Pan Pan.

At 2100 we decided to drive downtown Pattaya – we still had an hour until curfew. Wow, that was dark and empty. So we drove back home, played some UNO (which I lost) and listened to Russian pop music.

By the way, that’s the actual situation of Covid-19 in Thailand. First time ZERO (0 !!!) new infections, just 116 actives.

That’s compared to the road-death of just one day, even the curfew still in place.
Carfield, SKT-DK, lamphs and 5 others like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Happy to see you made it out of town again.

I must admit that villa looks very nice! Although lacking a bit of garden greenery space for my taste. That said, continuing to read this makes me want to get out of the city too! Looks like there are not really any restrictions on movements after all?

In front of the hotel they’ve set up an outlet for free food because some people are really in need. Thailand, thumps up !
Completely agree - the country really is doing a lot for those in need, both privately and publicly funded, which is great to see. Happy to see that our tax money goes to such things as well
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 13, 2020, 6:59 am

Like the villa👌👌👌, lots of space to do your work out!
Old May 13, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
It would be cool if you could rank you favorite food spots in Thailand at some point.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
To be honest I don´t really like the Villa. While it seems to be big enough, it´s perhaps too big with too little furniture. I seems to be "naked" and "ungemütlich". Also I see no reason for this unfurnished gallery.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I must admit that villa looks very nice! Although lacking a bit of garden greenery space for my taste. That said, continuing to read this makes me want to get out of the city too! Looks like there are not really any restrictions on movements after all?
Well, the Villa was the best we checked out - and location is prefect.

No, there aren't any restrictions. You SHOULD NOT move between provinces, but there is no control, no checkpoints at all.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Redmax
Like the villa👌👌👌, lots of space to do your work out!
No work out at all. Since the bone is still not grown together all force goes to the Titanium plate - which might break.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tennislover9
It would be cool if you could rank you favorite food spots in Thailand at some point.
We just had a discussion regarding this topic. Two restaurants made it on the list
1.) Ruai Grilled River Prawns, 74 2 Mai Tra, Bang Sai District, Phra Nakhon, Si Ayutthaya; +66 86 007 1451
2.) Nai Mong Hoi Thod, 539 Phlap Phla Chai Rd., Pom Prap, Pom Prag Sattru Phai, Bangkok (Chinatown); +66 89 773 3133

Nai Mong Hoi Thod being the winner. They close at 21:00 - but be sure to call before, because they close when they ran out of oysters, which happens regularly.
klaus-bkk and tennislover9 like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
To be honest I don´t really like the Villa. While it seems to be big enough, it´s perhaps too big with too little furniture. I seems to be "naked" and "ungemütlich". Also I see no reason for this unfurnished gallery.
I'm with you. We also don't get this huge Villa without furniture. But the reason is simple: the developer has built the Villa to sell, not to rent out. I just don't understand why they've built it with their basic standard, no charm. My Villa looked completely different, but I had a lot of extras, such as Teak wood floor, sunken bath tub, hand made tiles from Chiang Mai and lots of modern furniture accomplished by Chinese antiques. Also my house was smaller so I had a bigger garden.

In case you want to buy this Villa, it's for sale at 19 Million Baht, approx. US$ 600K.
offerendum and The_Mileonaire like this.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
In case you want to buy this Villa, it's for sale at 19 Million Baht, approx. US$ 600K.
Compared to my German house a bargain I guess…..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.